Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Canadians , history & geo ? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 26 2007 at 7:32am | IP Logged Quote florasita

Hey all you Canadians . Thought I'd start a thread going here for good books we've liked so far . I'm starting sonlight 3 next term with ds11 and would like 2-4 books of Canadian content to go with it .
This yr. we read a pioneer story and Forts of Canada .
Was thinking maybe the Donalda Dickie book for next term maybe and another book by Barbara Greenwood . I personally tried the Donna Ward books and did not like them .
How about a good Kids Can book ? any good titles to go along with sonlight 3 ?
   Look forward to your input
Much Love, Roxie

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

theresa-lynn
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 26 2007 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote theresa-lynn

Roxie,

Hi! i'm from alberta... we have a gr 1 girl here (and a bunch of littles), and haven't done much of ANYTHING canadian so far. How old are your kids? I'm interested in starting up something. HAve you read the Canadian girl series? i think that's what it's called, anyways.

I did get a book from Blue Mantle Books called 'Great books to study Canadian History' by Bonnie Landry 2004. It's written by a catholic so I'm hoping it should have some good resources in it for me when I actually get to canadian history I don't actually see it listed on their site (I bought it at a catholic hs conference from their vendor table).

Where are you from?

Our Lady of Tuscany Academy
Back to Top View theresa-lynn's Profile Search for other posts by theresa-lynn Visit theresa-lynn's Homepage

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2007 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

Hi Melanie , I am in MB . We've 6 children and 3 are adults the eldest being 26yo this month
the two I am homeschooling are ds11 and ds6 .We had our two girls first then the 4 boys so canadian girl series is not an option here unless God sends us a darling granddaughter
I very much like the kids can books for nature & history . The library has most of them .
There is a Catholic homeschool supplier in ON little flowers family apostalate . did I spell that right ?
I've ordered from Rita several times . Although never the Canadian Catholic but much of the farming books , stickers that kind of thing . The history books were a bit old for my younger boys but this yr. I think ds 11 may be able to handle them . I also hope to get him the books written for boys by Fr. ...
Nice to see another Canadian here
Much Love , Roxie

Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

JuliaT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2007 at 3:21pm | IP Logged Quote JuliaT

We are starting Can. history this year, but we are going at it very slowly. I am using Dickie's My First History of Canada, Story of Canada by Janet Lunn and the Discovering Canada Series by Robert Livesy. I also have Barbara Greenwood books so we will use them when the time comes. I, too, tried using Donna Ward's books but they did not suit us at all.

BTW, we live in SK.

blessings,
Julia
mom to 3(7,6,4)
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Juliainsk
Back to Top View JuliaT's Profile Search for other posts by JuliaT

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2007 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Oooohhhh, goodie, A Canadian thread!

Like Melanie, my oldest dd is in first grade, so I have not aquired much more than wooden puzzles of Canada and Canadian picture books such as:
M is for Maple
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police
ABC of Canada
O Canada, Our National Anthem
Crazy for Canada
Eh? to Zed

I just purchased Donna Wards' curriculum secondhand. I haven't used it yet, so I'm curious Rox, what didn't you like about it?

Anybody use the "Dear Canada" book series published by Scholastic? Don't ask me why, but I'm a little wary of them...I just get a feeling that they're a bit revisionist...but again, I've not read them myself.

And I have these of books on my shelves for Canadian Saints studies:

Kateri Tekakwitha Mohawk Maiden (E. Brown, Vision books, published by Ignatius)
Star of the Mohawk - F MacDonald
Kateri Tekakwitha -F.X. Weiser
Marguerite Bourgeois, Pioneer Teacher (an old Vision book, don't know if it is still in print)
Saint Isaac and the Indians (Lomask) Vision book
Father Marquette and the Great Rivers - (Derleth) Vision book
There is also a book republished by Little Flowers Family Apostolates on St. Marguerite D'Youville (Shucks! Ordered it not too long ago, but can't find it on their website to link it!)   

Also, Little Flowers Family Apostolate has a Kateri unit study here

Melanie is thisthe list you use for reading your way through Canadian history?

I'm from Ontario, so nice to "meet" you all here!

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2007 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

Oh Thanks Mary for those Catholic Canadian type books

I am just about to send Fr. thelinks for the Catholic CM site and this site . A lady in our parish is thinking to homeschool too that will make 3 of us mums in our tiny parish !
I did not like Donna ward books as they were just to work bookie for me . Then she'd reccomend books to read which I already know about . Filed trips that kind of stuff . I guess I just have been homeschooling to long for that sort of thing we already do .
I do use sonlight curriculum as it keeps me in line but I do not use the activity sheets . I use the questions etc. to help me with ideas but I am just a CM person when it comes to LA / science .Not to many workbooks . The only workbooks we use right now is singapore math . I also have used explode the code .
I do hope Delores and Cheryl Anne join . It would be nice to have Canadian Catholic bunch
Much Love Rox

theresa-lynn
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: April 26 2007 at 9:20pm | IP Logged Quote theresa-lynn

Hi everyone
I really need to get a puzzle of canada.. that's a great idea, and the list of canadian saints books looks great. We haven't paid too much attention to canadian studies because i'm just so annoyed by the liberal anti-life culture that persists here. Bad attitude, i know.   

thanks for the link to the history booklist Mary. I've seen that one before. The one I have is a spiral bound book I purchased for $16.75 from Blue Mantle called "Great Books to study Canadian History: a guide to studying canadian history through historical fiction" by Bonnie Landry, published by St. Thomas Publishing, 2004.

In the introduction, she writes "...Initially, as a catholic home schooling parent, I needed good historical information for my children. There are no comprehensive Catholic history texts about Canada presently in print. Catholic families want and need to know the influence the Church and our faith have had on the development of Canada as a country. Resources have been provided here primarily through good historical fiction, to provide Catholics with an understanding of our history."

hth

It's great to see other canadian catholics online

Our Lady of Tuscany Academy
Back to Top View theresa-lynn's Profile Search for other posts by theresa-lynn Visit theresa-lynn's Homepage

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2007 at 9:51pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

theresa-lynn wrote:

We haven't paid too much attention to canadian studies because i'm just so annoyed by the liberal anti-life culture that persists here. Bad attitude, i know.   

Wow! I'm not the only one !
Wish you lived closer, Melanie, I think we have a lot in common!

Thanks for the info about the Catholic reading your way through Canadian history...I'm going to look into that right away!

BTW I found one wooden Canada puzzle at Toys R Us, and another one by Melissa and Doug.

God Bless!

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2007 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Oh, and thanks, Rox, for the info about Donna Ward's curriculum!

I was thinking about doing a summer intro unit study on Canada beginning on Canada Day, July 1. Nothing too complicated, just a LOT of reading of a LOT of good books, doing some simple geography stuff, and, if time and mostly MONEY permits, maybe even a trip to the Nation's capital to visit the Parliamentary buildings. A good friend of ours is an M.P. and has extended an invite for us to go to Ottawa for a visit. We should take him up on his offer before another election is called .

So glad to speak to like-minded Canadians. Too bad we're all so far apart geographically!    

trish
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 26 2007 at 10:28pm | IP Logged Quote trish

Hi,
I took a look in my bookshelves and found a few good ones that my 15 yo ds liked when he was 11. He said he still likes them .
'Jeremy's War 1812' by John Ibbitson. It's a Kids Can Press book. Another one is G.A. Henty's 'With Wolfe in Canada'.
I found a really nice book by Fr. Emile-Marie Briere called 'Under Mary's Mantle'(Our Lady's Love for Canada). It's put out by Madonna House Publications in Combermere Ontario. I found it a great read. It contains info on the first settlers and explorers and early Canadian Saints. (That might be more for you florasita)
Of course the Robert Livesey books especially the Fur Traders, New France, the Vikings, and the Defenders come to mind.
Those are a few I came up with. Hope that helps you out.

+AMDG+
Saintly Soaps

Back to Top View trish's Profile Search for other posts by trish

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: April 27 2007 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Hi all,
It's really nice to see the Canadian thread and so many of you sharing resources. I do recognize that the discussions on the boards tend toward US discussion/focus. We've read several historical fiction books on Canada, but I'm not recalling the titles right now. They were probably on the Sonlight lists anyway. I'll check my booklists later and see if I can remember.

Lydia Longley, the First American Nun by Helen McCarthy is a book that was recommmended to us but I haven't read yet. It's part of the old Vision series. This title is OOP - has not been reproduced by Ignatius Press yet. I wasn't familiar with her story though you might already be - family killed in Indian attack, taken as captive to Canada, adpoted by a family there and raised Catholic, became first American born nun. It sounds interesting, but I do want to read it first since those family killed/taken captive books can be hard. Want to see what age range it would be okay for.

Also the M is for Maple book was mentioned. I really like that series from Sleeping Bear Press. They have on-line
teacher's guides available on the various topics if you are interested.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 27 2007 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Hi All,

We have had to look hard to find good historical fiction for Canadian History.

We also didn't like the Donna Ward stuff: living on a reserve at the time we did more Canadian History type stuff I had to look hard at the materials we used.
We also didn't like the Livesay stuff (looked great to me, but the kids found it too informatinal and not enough of a narrative!)

Some books we did like were-
(with a caveat- many good ones are mixed heavily with other people's history as well)

Underground to Canada
Days of Terror (Mennonites and the Russian Revolution
                  and moving to Canada- excellent book)
The Hollow Tree (Centered around the War of 1812 if I
                   remember correctly)
Curse of the Viking Grave

The Spirit of Canada- we have enjoyed this anthology
                        of Canadian tales, poems, and
                        stories
The Story of Canada- in bits and pieces

We also have really enjoyed (mostly the older ones of us!) the Canada a People's History documentaries. You can get them from the library, and they are a retelling of Canadian history in the form of journals etc. and biographies.

Also, you can get snapshots of Canadian history from a site called histori.ca, which have minutes from canadian history dramatized visually and through a radio format.

Kristie

p.s.so funny to type this out Roxie- could just tell you in real time on Tuesday at swimming

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 26 2007 at 11:01am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

While looking for the state-by-state reading list on the Love2Learn website, I realized it also has books by province. Those are lower section of this link.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2007 at 11:16am | IP Logged Quote Taffy

It's nice to see this list here! We really have to kick start some studies on Canadian history, geography, etc. Around here, I've been so concerned about getting the 3R's in (reading, writing and arithmetic) that, sadly, these subjects get set aside.

I'll have to bookmark this thread!

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version