Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Alan Jemison Music Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 12 2005 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I was at the IHM Conference this Friday, and one vendor was Alan Jemison. He makes musical arrangements and his target audience is Catholic homeschoolers. He even has a method series of begining piano.

But I didn't like it much. He had an accompaniment to the Adoremus Hymnal for keyboard. It was very simple, only main voices. That got me talking with him -- he doesn't believe or like four-part harmony, or much "busyness" in musical accompaniments, so his arrangements are very stark, not even full chords, mostly single lines in both hands.

I didn't have much time to look thoroughly at the rest...that stopped my browsing because we didn't see "ear-to-ear".

Maybe I'm just not musical enough...I have studied piano and organ for years, into college with a music minor and I always like fuller accompaniments. I can see how this would be helpful for younger or beginners, but it seemed he was touting his materials for all levels.

Has anyone else seen his materials? Chari, did Anne take a look at his table while she was there? I would love to hear other input... I don't want my personal preference to override promotion of a good program, if it is one.

Thanks!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: June 13 2005 at 9:57pm | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Jenn, we have used his Sing Praise to God by Note for sight-reading/singing practice. I think it's probably his best product.

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

Kelly
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 13 2005 at 10:53pm | IP Logged Quote Kelly

I actually talked with him at one point---years ago--- about putting together books of great Catholic music for Advent (we were doing a singing class for our coop and had a heck of a time finding music, pre-internet you know...) I believe he told me that he comes from a Mennonite background, somehow that is what I remember. Perhaps that influenced his simple renditions? Or maybe he's just addressing a beginning audience? I'm glad to see him getting out his books, but they are a little stark from what little I've seen.

Kelly in FL
Back to Top View Kelly's Profile Search for other posts by Kelly

fsuadamson
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 24 2006 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote fsuadamson

Could anyone who has experience with Alan Jamison's beginning piano series help me out?

I am terribly musically challenged and I was wondering what is the difference between 'Beginning at the Piano' and 'Reading at the Piano' series?

We just finished learning how to read music and play some simple tunes using the recorder. This year my dds really want to learn the piano. Are A. Jamison's series the best to start learning the piano?

Back to Top View fsuadamson's Profile Search for other posts by fsuadamson Visit fsuadamson's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 17 2006 at 9:53pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

I'm bumping this because I'm interested in his beginning piano stuff...

I have zero musical ability, but my childen are interest in this from a hobby perspective....

simple is fine IF it works...

has this program worked for others?

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 20 2006 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

I have a pretty extensive musical background (not in piano) but I think it is fair to recommend the Faber & Faber beginning piano series called Piano Adventures. There is a
primer,
lesson book,
theory book,
technique and artistry book and a
performance book.

All of these books go through all levels. I'd recommend getting all of those books if you are planning anything more than the most casual piano experience. The books work together and make for a very well rounded and excellent series.

Working together with this series you and your child could learn much. I *think* the theory book is the only book that you'd have to buy over for each child. Otherwise each other book will work for multiple children. I'm just getting started myself on this series, but after paging through all the books I'm pretty impressed.

My local sheet music store gave me a 10% discount for being a homeschooler, which was nice.

Btw, I have some of the Jemison books for songs/Cds and in general like them. In some ways music is like the other subjects - I use a little from Math-U-See and Miquon and other sources - we don't just stick to one program. It is handy to have different programs for different perspectives.

And sometimes like any other subject it all comes down to the DOING of it. Not which program you have.

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 20 2006 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote Martha

[Working together with this series you and your child could learn much.]

ahh that's the kicker. I have zero desire to ever do anything musical. I'm perfectly happy just listening to what I like. I don't even like to sing in the shower. lol

I might buy 1 series and see how they do on their own. See if they show enough interest to actually put effort in it. They've had 2 years of music lessons that ended about 18 months ago due to my getting tired of paying for lessons they never practiced for without me browbeating them.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version