Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Any Lebanese here? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 14 2007 at 1:51pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

I am just curious. I keep bumping into Lebanese people lately, all of a sudden, and it made me wonder if any one here was Lebanese, too.

My Father-in-law is Lebanese, my husband, half and my kids 1/4. (I know just a little math )

I think it will be fun to think of that whenever I see someone's name.

Blessings from the curious,

kingvozzo
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote kingvozzo

Chari, not Lebanese here, but my fil's wife is 1/2, I think (I'll have to check )
Is your husband's family Maronite Catholic, or Latin Rite? Just curious....

Back to Top View kingvozzo's Profile Search for other posts by kingvozzo

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2007 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Chari

Hi, Noreen!

Maronite, historically speaking, but all attend the Roman Rite now....well, those that actually still go to church

lots of Trad. Latin rite, too

we have been to a few Maronite Masses

my fil is 1st generation American, as are all of his ten siblings

The Bryan family is quite large, and Lebanese and they have been having annual family reunions for over 60 yrs!

Orginal family name before it got changed at Ellis island:

Brahim..... pronounced: bra-heem......roll your "r"

course, there is no English spelling for the Arabic name, so the immigration officials wrote
Bryan.....everyone thinks it is an Irish name of course

more info than you wanted

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 5:19pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I am not Lebanese either Chari, but there is alot of Lebanese in Sydney (a multicultural city) both Muslim and Christian.

My close friend is married to a Lebanese man and I have been honored to have known his family - saintly - a really saintly family. Humble, loving and devoted to all people, great love of family, devoted to their faith.

They do not attend the Maronite Rite but they attend a Latin Mass and parish run by the Society of Peter. The parents had come out from Lebanon and they still have relatives back there.

My dear friend moved back with her husband, to her husband's home city when they realised they had infertility problems. The best chances for adoption are in Sydney and they went through a Catholic agency. We were honored to have been asked to support them with their references and within a very short period of time they were offered a 4month old little girl, her biological father was Lebanese and her biological mother was a tall, willowy Australian ballet dancer, resembling my dear friend in appearance. There were some beautiful coincedences and things in this whole adoption story that made it clear this baby was a very special edition in the eyes of God, to this family.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

florasita
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote florasita

I am quarter lebanese and know not much about our heritage . My great grandparents were from lebanon Micheal & Sophia . They met here in Canada . She was 16 yo . she first went to Ohio to live with cousins at 15yo. They wanted her to marry an old guy so at 15yo she hopped on a train and came to Canada . She worked for a irish lady who was anglican and my great gramother converted . It was not popular to be of another religion/culture at that time . The english influence was very heavy and the immigrants very much wanted to or needed to assimilate .
The older children like my grandfather had lebabese arabic names . His was Ferade .English version Alfred .I had a great aunty Lebebe who became louise as well .
The later children all had english names . I think there were 14 but two died very young from flu.
My great grandfather was muslim she was catholic they married in an angilcan church .
They lived at the trading post my great grandfather ran on the winnipeg river . They then moved across the lake and homesteaded there . My great uncle wrote a book about life there growing up about selling ice to the railway for city people to have in summer months etc. getting money for skunk heads how the school house got washed away during a storm . My great aunt also wrote a book called the cedars of Lebanon but I have not read it . That was written when she was younger I think . My great aunty Pansy named after the irish lady my great gramma worked for is now 94 yo .We laugh how she soold is just like our youngest child they both are so smart and love balony . Her memory is still quite sharp . We had her here for Christmas two yrs ago and she recited the King George speach she'd memorized as a child . They always had to memorize the King or Queens speach for the new year apparently . She sang a few songs for us at the family reunion she'd learned as a child . One was in Lebanese and later we learned it was a sailor song sung to the girls when they'd come in to dock I think her father must have sung that song . The other song was in Cree and it was a children's song about a catfish
I have her on tape somewhere reciting shakspeare or woodsworth my mum and she were arguing about where it came from .
Oh and although my great gramma converted she somehow hung onto her rosary all that time . When aunty pansy went into a home this past fall my mum who looked after her alot found the rosary of my great granmother and she gave it to me being one of the only catholics in the family now . I went out to the lake and sat under the spruce tree at my great gramother's grave and prayed the rosary while the kids climbed the rocks in the cemetary . It was one of the most beautiful gifts God has given me .
I know I've gone on and on . Nothing to do with lebanon really . My great grandparents did pass on somethings like bannac is not just bannac it is lebanese bannac . Much Lov , Rox

May I rise & rest with words of Gratitude on my Breath
May I have the Heart & Mind of a Child in my Depth
May I forever remember to be a Light
May Peace Love & Hope be My Sight
Back to Top View florasita's Profile Search for other posts by florasita Visit florasita's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 14 2007 at 8:58pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

Rox
What a beautiful story, when I read the conclusion of you praying the rosary at your g-gramdmother's grave I broke out in goosebumps.

I was intrigued when I read your post last night about other parts of your heritage, your Cree side intrigued me.

Welcome to 4Real

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 14 2007 at 9:50pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

My husband is half Lebanese, his mother was born to immigrants from Lebanon. The family background is Maronite, but everyone in the family has long attended Latin rite parishes.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 15 2007 at 7:22am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Hi All:

I am half Lebanese, from my father (deceased). His mother (my grandmother) is still living and speaks Arabic as well as English! She turned 90 April 1. She and my granfather grew up and lived all their lives in Peoria, IL where there is a large Lebanese community. They were born in the US, but their parents immigrated to the States from Lebanon. My maiden name in McMurray, but obviously it was "given"to us at Ellis Island! The original is Mulmerrie (spelling?).

My grandfather was a Maronite Catholic and converted to Roman Cahtolicism on his 25th wedding anniversary to surprise my grandma.

Because my father died when I was 17 and my grandmother lives miles away, I do not know much about the Lebanese heritage - except for some foods! If any of you can recommend resources, etc. I would love to explore this for myself and my children! Also any recommended books on Ellis Island as well.

Neat thread! Thanks for sharing!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 15 2007 at 12:26pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I'll just say, I'm not Lebanese, but I'd love to read more about it.

When our family lived in Shreveport, Louisiana, there was a large community of Lebanese at our parish and school. My dear piano teacher was also Lebanese. It was my first introduction to this heritage, but I was young, and didn't soak in all the opportunities to learn about it.

I know the knitters on this list have some interest in Lebanonese, because the unofficial patron saint of knitters, St. Rafqa, was from Lebanon. Mary G. had a nice post about this saint.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 15 2007 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote Erin

When my sister lived in Sydney last year she became involved with the Lebanese community there. She met two Maronite Catholic girls who loved their faith and attended Mass with them reguarly. The Catholic faith is very strong there and she loved the vibrant life happening in their parish. She attended many excellent talks by their priest and guest priests.

The Muslims are a very real issue there and they are encouraging the girls not to date the Muslim men but to be polite and respectful but the differences are very real and and an issue that they are having to confront. My sister is VERY blond and fair skin. She said it was an amazing experience to walk down the streets and in the Church, she really stood out.

Anyhow she became interested in saints who are honoured particuarly and sent my dc some booklets. One on Saint Charbel and another on Blessed Rafqa and St Maroun. This was a part of our Catholic heritage I knew so little on. I was pregnant with Saxon at the time and my mum wanted me to call my baby Charbel. My brother is at Campion College and one of his friend's is Charbel(Lebanese Catholic obviously) and my mother thought him lovely.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version