Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Catholic Cookbooks Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Alexandra
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 12 2007 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote Alexandra

I hope this is posted in the correct place. I'm a newbie here. I'm looking for some Catholic cookbooks with tasty recipes. I'm using a Mennonite cookbook, More With Less which I'm really enjoying. It's simple 1940's type cooking(from scratch)...wonderful bread recipes!

I saw three interesting Catholic cookbooks on Amazon:

A Continual Feast: A Cookbook to Celebrate the Joys of Family and Faith Throughout the Christian Year
by Evelyn Birge Vitz (Author)

Cooking With the Saints by Ernst Schuegraf

From a Monastery Kitchen by Victor D'Avila-Latourrette

I'm also looking for some good Catholic soup cookbooks.

Has anyone tried these? Any recommendations? TIA :)
Back to Top View Alexandra's Profile Search for other posts by Alexandra

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2007 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Hi Alexandra!

I would say JennGM is the resident expert in this area (and many other things) and Jenn has been my inpiration for jumping into liturgical cooking wholeheartedly - what beautiful life it is!

Here are some threads to look at:

Liturgical Cooking

More Liturgical Cooking

And More Liturgical Cooking

Catholic Soup Cookbook

Last, but not least:
Jenn's Feast & Feria Blog This blog Jenn focus' on liturgical cooking. This is one I have on my desktop, for convenient viewing.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2007 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

A Continual Feast is a must-have and if you want to live the liturgical year, Cooking with the Saints (altho a bit pricey) is definitely worth it! He's got some great saints in there an wonderful recipes ....

From a Monastery Kitchen is nice to have but I don't use it much as it's lots of things my family just wouldn't eat ... a bit on the spartan side.....

Hope this helps a bit, but JennGM is DEFINITELY the resident cooking (and cookbook) expert!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 12 2007 at 7:53pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Yep, tried them all. Are you looking for recipes that are related to the Liturgical Year? What aspects of "Catholic" are you looking for?

A Continual Feast -- love it, practical recipes for all year, all seasons, many feast days.

Cooking with the Saints I enjoy for the pictures. The recipes are good, but not all are common. The recipes are all named after certain saints.

From a Monastery Kitchen is one of many of the cookbooks by Brother Victor. They are all meatless (but allow cheese, eggs and fish) and aren't really Liturgical. He has nice quotes and arranges most of his cookbooks according to the weather seasons. There are a few recipes named after saints and Mary, but not much. Two of his other cookbooks, Twelve Months of Monastery Soups and Twelves Months of Monastery Salads are excellent recipes. All his recipes are relatively easy to make, simple ingredients (it's monastic, but he's French) and tasty.

It's now out of print, but a more recent cookbook is Catholic Traditions in Cooking by Ann Ball.

There's a .pdf version of Feast Day Cookbook by Helmut Ripperger and Katherine Burton, from 1955.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2007 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I should add that I really love my Cooking with the Saints, I saw one recently on ebay for $10 - excellent price for a usually expensive book - it is big and hardback with lots and lots of glossy photo's and old masters paintings of the saints.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 12 2007 at 7:57pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I was writing up my post while Anne and Mary G. posted. Thanks for the compliments...I'm hardly the cooking expert, but I do know my cookbooks.

There are more choices from OOP books, and Catholic Culture has a lot of recipes for feasts from these.

There is an English book, not all recipes, but delightful to have a British viewpoint into the Liturgical Year called Book of Feasts and Seasons by Joanna Bogle that you might enjoy.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2007 at 8:05pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

Here is the link to Cooking with the Saints on ebay - 3 days left no bids as yet.

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2007 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I really like Book of Feasts and Seasons by Joanna Bogle - also here is The Advent Kitchen it has a few soup receipes in it, and the receipes look great but the only thing I would say about it is the receipes aren't set out for a particular saint or feast day.

Alexandra
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: April 12 2007 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote Alexandra

My goodness, thanks for the quick responses, my mailbox filled up suddenly! :)

I'm looking for simple made-from-scratch soups, and simple ingredient dishes. I also like international recipes...I cook a lot of latino and carribean dishes: meat, spice, rice. I'd love to have at least one liturgical year cookbook.

I'm leaning more to the Monastery Kitchen spartan recipes...I like simple soups.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I'll go browse.
Back to Top View Alexandra's Profile Search for other posts by Alexandra

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2007 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I've still got The Advent Kitchen sitting on my lap and here are some of the dishes that might reflect your love of international dishes.

Cantonese Shrimp Triangles
Linguini Basilico de la Mar
Spinach and Rice Salad
Quiche di Napoli
Classic Lamb Shish Kebab
Spanish Onion Soup
Chili Park and Noodles
Migas (TexMex Egg Omelet)
Lebanese Eggplant Dip
Herbal Stuffed Manicotti
Persian Pilaf
Fiesta Cauliflower Salad
Hot Celeriac Salad
Sesame Shrimp
Cantonese Corn Chowder
Chicken Avoglemomo a la Greque
Mandarin Beef Supreme
Savory Squid Marinara with Spaghetti

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2007 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

Alexandra,

Chiming in late here, (as usual) but it sounds as though everyone has given you great suggestions. If you like simple and vegetarian and healthy, any of the Monastery Kitchen books are great. If you like international flavours, then Cooking with the Saints is a visual and ethnic delight! If you love reading about traditional food and feasts with great recipes, then give A Continual Feast a try...

I like all of it, myself! If you want to have a little fun, though, there is another perhaps lesser-known cookbook called, "Building the Family Cookbook" by Suzanne Fowler. Suzanne is on the board of directors for Women of Grace, and has appeared on EWTN. She is the founder of a Catholic weight loss program called the "Light Weigh"

But this book is NOT low-fat or tasteless fare!! Rather it follows the liturgical year, and all of her recipes are tied into a saint or feast day. I have a dear friend who would save this recipe book from her burning home .
Here are some of the recipe titles:

St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Colonial Brown Bread
St. Anthony of Egypt Pork Roast
St. Sebastian Cheese arrows
Presentation of the Lord Obedience Salad
St. Hedwig baby food muffins
Blessed Damien Cookie Bars
St. Athanatius Coeur a la Creme
St. Rita Pesto Cheese spread
Sacred Heart of Jesus Cherry Swirl Coffee Cake
St. Maria Goretti coconut cupcakes
St. Martha kiddie crescents
St. Ignatius of Loyola Spanish Casserole
St. Cajetan grilled chicken tenders
St. John Chrysosdom Golden glazed chicken
Pope St. Cornelius meatloaf
St. Gerard Chicken Spiedini with lemon Garlic sauce
St. Margaret of Scotland jewel glazed pork roast
and much more!!!

This book is a lot of fun in that she gives about a page of a saint's bio, and then she relates the meal to the saint's life. She'll say something like, "This pork roast is named for Saint Anthony (of Egypt) because of his patronage of swine herds, and the spices, when combined look like desert sand". Not traditional, but cute (and some GREAT recipes!)She also includes articles about mothering large families, creating a Catholic atmosphere in your home, and so much more. It should be available through lightweigh.com, but some Catholic stores are carrying it, I think...

Hope that helps!

Back to Top View MaryMary's Profile Search for other posts by MaryMary

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2007 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I have to chime in and say, thanks for that Mary!    I had not heard of that one before, the receipes sound good!

chicken lady
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2007 at 9:48pm | IP Logged Quote chicken lady

Alexandra I too like More with Less, it is a trusty stand by.   All of the beforementioned books I have and would second and third

Welocme to the boards!
as mentioned by Anne, check out Jenns Blog you will be excited!!!
Back to Top View chicken lady's Profile Search for other posts by chicken lady Visit chicken lady's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 12 2007 at 10:55pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I use my Continual Feast cookbook a lot. Love it!

And, I've had Suzanne Fowler's "Building the Family Cookbook" (thanks, Mary, for the reminder ) on my wish list for the past year....I saw a friend's and it looked really great, and I liked how it was laid out.

I have Cooking with the Saints and love to look at it, read it, learn from it, but don't use it so much for cooking.....although the recipes that I have used have been great, but not for "everyday cooking."

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 12 2007 at 11:10pm | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

SuzanneG wrote:
I have Cooking with the Saints and love to look at it, read it, learn from it, but don't use it so much for cooking.....although the recipes that I have used have been great, but not for "everyday cooking."

Exactly! I pull it out when we need to have a show-stopping dinner, like on a major feast or with some important company. And always for the feast of St. James... my husband adores the recipe for Coquilles St. Jacques

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 13 2007 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

We love the St. Stephen's Beigli (from Cooking with the Saints)....which is exactly my maternal grandmother's Slovenian Easter/Christmas bread/roll..which we call "Potica".

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2007 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Thanks Mary for the comments about Building the Family Cookbook -- this does look great! I'd never heard of it but it sounds just like what I like to do -- combine cooking math with the liturgical year AND get dinner out of it (now, that's REAL LEARNING!)

Cooking with the Saints has WONDERFUL things for San Guiseppe day too! I got the cookbook from mom jsut before March 19th so we had a lot of fun trying out different things and coming up with a real St. Joseph's Day (which spread over a couple of days) feast!

The Convent Cook: Divine Meals for Families Large and Small is another with fantastic recipes and interesting story. The cook is a married mother who brings her daughter to work -- and the nuns watch the little girl while the cook makes fabulous stuff for the nuns....it's really cool!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 13 2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary G wrote:
Thanks Mary for the comments about Building the Family Cookbook -- this does look great! I'd never heard of it but it sounds just like what I like to do -- combine cooking math with the liturgical year AND get dinner out of it (now, that's REAL LEARNING!)

I didn't really like Building the Family. I thought the recipes were basic, and the readings on the saints were a bit dry and long (I can't remember her sources for the biographies). It's cleverly done, but it's nothing different than what all you moms do in the kitchen already.

mary G. wrote:
The Convent Cook: Divine Meals for Families Large and Small is another with fantastic recipes and interesting story. The cook is a married mother who brings her daughter to work -- and the nuns watch the little girl while the cook makes fabulous stuff for the nuns....it's really cool!

I've had my eye on that one...thanks for the quick review.

To delve into books that present feast day cooking, but not necessarily Catholic I have a few other favorites.

Festa: Recipes and Recollections of Italian Holidays by Helen Barolini. I love reading her descriptions of Italian feasts. And the recipes are quite good.

Celebration Breads: Recipes, Tales, and Traditions by Betsy Oppenneer. Bread recipes from all over the world for different feasts. Great variety, terrific detailed instructions.

Feasting for Festivals by Jan Wilson is OOP, but there are very cheap copies available from Amazon. I think this is Anglican, but there are wonderful recipes and crafts from a British viewpoint.

I am happy to see Festive Food of Ireland by Darina Allen back in print. I bought a copy when I was in Ireland 10 years ago. It's a beautiful little book, decorated with Celtic illustrations and great photos. There are recipes that cover St. Bridget, St. Patrick, Easter, May Day, The Stations, Hay Making, Lughnasa, Threshing, Michaelmas, Hallowe'en, St. Martin's Eve, Christmas, St. Stephen's Day, The Twelfth Day of Christmas...with descriptions of the Irish customs of those days.

If you put on the "Liturgical Year Mindset" almost any cookbook can become your helper for Liturgical cooking. I love thumbing through different ethnic cookbooks to find recipes named after saints, or made especially for the feast days. So many countries the saints and feasts were tightly woven into daily, secular life, and the cookbooks reflect this pattern.

You're probably sorry you asked!

MaryMary
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 13 2007 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote MaryMary

JennGM wrote:
Mary G wrote:

I didn't really like Building the Family. I thought the recipes were basic, and the readings on the saints were a bit dry and long (I can't remember her sources for the biographies). It's cleverly done, but it's nothing different than what all you moms do in the kitchen already.

[quote=mary G.]

Yup. It's a great cookbook if you're looking for good, family-style recipes (i.e. normal, everyday ingredients, that make many portions for bigger families) that are linked to the saint or feast day. But you're right about the fact that many of us do this sort of thing already. It comes naturally after a while !! 'Building the family' makes a nice gift for someone who, perhaps, is just learning about the lives of the saints and/or the liturgical year, and figuring out how to tie the two with some fairly easy, family-pleasing meals.     

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 13 2007 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

JennGM wrote:

I haven't really bought any other liturgical cookbooks b/c of this....there are such great ideas here and on everyone's blogs. If I'm looking for an idea, sometimes I just search for the feast day and voila....a bunch of ideas are right there.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version