Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Movie Night! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 07 2005 at 7:35pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Oh, I love Rogers and Hammerstein!!! My brother's favorite is the King and I...he use to insist we dance will they did on screen. He is such a nut!! There are great memories though....

Marybeth

PS We liked the movie Holes based on the book by the same title.

Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2005 at 10:26pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Our littles have really been into The Wilderness Family (Part 1) lately...anyone ever see this? They like the original version of Cheaper by the Dozen ("that show with all those kids" which has my 5 and 4 y-olds praying for more brothers...whew! ) Other than that it's mostly Classic Pooh around here.

Robin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 07 2005 at 11:24pm | IP Logged Quote Robin

We rarely watch movies around here. My first choice when the boys were about 9 years old was It's a Wonderful Life. I almost passed out when the guy stepped on the girl's towel and it came off and she had to hide behind a bush. He was way too pleased about it and didn't want to return her towel. That was the end of that movie... I tried previewing others a few times but they could never pass the discerning eye of a mother who wants to keep her children pure and innocent for as long as possible. I did allow LOTR but I watched it first and skipped all the "kiss" scenes while watching it with the boys. What I'd really like to have is the names of a few movies without any inappropriate matter at all. And anyway, it's just no fun to preview a movie and then try to sit through it again with the children...

Has anyone ever seen The Neverending Story? What about that old movie Clash of the Titans? I barely remember watching these when I was a child and at the time I liked them.

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2005 at 11:36pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Robin, beware Clash of the Titans if you don't want to see Perseus's (sp?) bare bottom. The only reason I remember this is because when I was 10 or so my mom and dad had just paid for cable tv (that day) and we were watching HBO (we didn't know what HBO was!) and Clash was on. Mom about died when she came into the room just in time to see the main actor emerge from a bath with nothing on... That was the end of HBO, forever, and we never watched any movie alone again (she spent lots of time fast-forwarding scenes in anything that didn't come from the public library or was not rated "G")

How about old black and white classics like To Kill A Mockingbird or Disney favorites like Swiss Family Robinson and Old Yeller, The Absent-Minded Professor and The Shaggy Dog? Those are some of what we grew up on.

Robin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 08 2005 at 12:55pm | IP Logged Quote Robin

saintanneshs wrote:
Robin, beware Clash of the Titans if you don't want to see Perseus's (sp?) bare bottom

Thank you, I didn't recall that scene.

And thanks for the suggestions! They sound great! My boys really enjoyed reading Swiss Family Robinson and they love anything about dogs... they really liked the show about the animals that had to find their way home... I think it was called The Impossible Journey?

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 08 2005 at 3:04pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

What about Homeward Bound and Homeward Bound II?

We have a copy of Homeward Bound II, dut ds is a little young for it.

Marybeth
Back to Top View Marybeth's Profile Search for other posts by Marybeth

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 10 2005 at 3:38pm | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Robin wrote:
I think it was called The Impossible Journey?

The Incredible Journey ...we haven't read it yet, but it's on my mental list! Glad I could help!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 04 2005 at 9:19am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Just saw a great movie last night and had to pass along the recommendation. It's called I Am David just done this 2005. This link is just a short summary. It's rated PG for Thematic Elements and violent content. Nothing graphic is shown, just implied or hear gunshots -- the violence is flashbacks of his workcamp life. It stars Ben Tibber as "David", Joan Plowright and Jim Caviezel.

From the cover: I am David is adapted from Anne Holm's internationally accalimed novel North to Freedom. David is thrust into the free world for the first time in his young life as he travels across Europe. It is a spiritual voyage of discover, where David slowly loses his instinctual mistrust of humanity and begings to smile, share, trust and ultimately, love.

Oh, and another Jim Caviezel movie is The Bobby Jones Story we really liked. I would say appropriate for teenagers and up. It will have to be monitored, because of foul language (cursing on the golf course) and some showing of "loose living" -- drinking and such. I didn't know Bobby Jones married a Catholic!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2005 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

We are watching Anne of Green Gables - the Sequel this week.

We keep wanting to talk in dramatic phrases, as Anne does!

Leonie in Sydney
Back to Top View Leonie's Profile Search for other posts by Leonie

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2005 at 7:27pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Leonie, my daughter has read Anne of Green Gables twice already once with me as a read aloud and then to herself, and she's only 9! Would the movie be OK for her??? Appreciate any input here as we try to avoid the twaddly movie stuff unless it's really a good one. TIA.

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 04 2005 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Leonie wrote:
We are watching Anne of Green Gables - the Sequel this week.

Is this the one during the War? I'm eager to hear what you thought about it. I didn't like it as much as the first series...a little feminist. She HAD to find Gil in Europe, and couldn't just sit at home like the other women. But I guess they had to weave an exciting story someway.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Leonie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 04 2005 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote Leonie

So far, the sequel is about Anne teaching at Kingsport Ladies College and Gilbert at medical school. And Anne refusing to marry Gilbert. I think this sequel is the second series and the one with the war scenes is the third series - something like Road to Avonlea? We haven't seen that one.Thanks for your thoughts on that one, Jenn.

Meredith, my nine year old liked the first series - Anne of Green Gables - when Anne was a girl. he related more to those scenes, as a child himself.

Leonie in Sydney
Back to Top View Leonie's Profile Search for other posts by Leonie

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version