Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Seasonal Learning-suggestions needed! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 25 2007 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

I really have benefited from the discussions about seasonal/organic homeschooling-thank you everyone! I've decided to break my planning down into 12 week terms. I'll keep the basics (math, Latin, music practice) going, but use the term break to change things up a little bit. So, the next term with be April, May, and June. (which will work out since July will be the month of packing, moving, and hopefully bringing Michael home).
But here's where I get bogged down-the details!! These are my thoughts so far but PLEASE make some suggestions-what you would add, delete, change...

I don't have resources planned yet, this is just my ideas of what to cover this term listed by traditional subject:
Religion:Easter, Anne's FHC, Catholic Mosiac
Nature Study: Wildflowers of Texas, Common birds (I'm looking for some bird picture cards for matching/memory games if anyone has any ideas...)
Picture Study/Art Appreciation: I finally pulled out all the postcard sets for
How to Use Child Sized Masterpieces and we will work through this program and then start more formal picture study (one artist per term) in the fall.
History: Ancient Greece. Maybe focusing on Greek Myths?

That's all I have. What else should I do?    Tell me your thoughts.
Thanks!!
Jennifer
PS My girls are 7.5, 6.5, and 4.5.
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 25 2007 at 11:20pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

JSchaaf wrote:
Common birds (I'm looking for some bird picture cards for matching/memory games if anyone has any ideas...)

CHC has some Audubon bird cards.   I just recently ordered two sets for Aidan (7 years old) so he could play matching games.   bird cards

Haven't seen them yet, but they should come this week.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 26 2007 at 7:07am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I just discovered yesterday that the National Gallery of Art in DC lends DVDs and educational materials to anyone, free of charge. They have an Audubon DVD. (I just requested it; they need a month's lead time...I'll let you know how it works out!)

Here's a link to their Educational Resources Page.

onemoretracy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 26 2007 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote onemoretracy

guitarnan wrote:
I just discovered yesterday that the National Gallery of Art in DC lends DVDs and educational materials to anyone, free of charge. They have an Audubon DVD. (I just requested it; they need a month's lead time...I'll let you know how it works out!)

Here's a link to their Educational Resources Page.

WOW thank you so much for this link!

DS Ryan-9
DS Luke-6
DD Laine-6
DD Mary Clare-3
DD Sara (Dec.6 '08)
My Blog
Back to Top View onemoretracy's Profile Search for other posts by onemoretracy

marihalojen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 7:20am | IP Logged Quote marihalojen

Nancy! What a resource!
Thank you so much for sharing!

SSR = Sailing, Snorkling, Reading
Back to Top View marihalojen's Profile Search for other posts by marihalojen Visit marihalojen's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 8:23am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

This is great! I just ordered the American Art: Seven Artists Profiles. I hope to get it for May, so we can study John James Audubon.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 8:51am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

The NGA is a great resource -- we've used them before. Some of their resources are still the old "film strips" or slides but most have been transferred. The 7 Artists Profile is excellent!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 28 2007 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I hereby take this opportunity to plug a book series my dd says she "totally loves" - Mike Venezia's "Getting to Know the World's Greatest Artists" series. We get them from our public library. This series has really caught my dd's interest; she is an avowed art-hater, but she loves these books! (He also has a series on composers, which I am planning to use next year with appropriate music playing as we read.)

For those who plan an Audubon study, may I suggest this book? We read it yesterday and dd really enjoyed it.

JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 28 2007 at 9:36pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

Thank you!!
I'm really starting to have fun-I have to be careful not to get overexcited and make too many plans!
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 28 2007 at 10:11pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

Jennifer,

Might I suggest that you're doing just fine, as is?

If any of your girls fall in love with birds, try 50birds.com for some great bird pictures and dozens of coloring pages. Two years ago, my dd (who was 7 then, just the right age for your plans!) went nuts over birds and made a huge bulletin board of birds she'd colored and cut out. Enchanted Learning has some good coloring pages, too.

This interest has intensified, I should add. We are all avid birders now, but dd, armed with her new binoculars, takes the cake. She amazes me; she even ID'd our local red-shouldered hawk by using three different field guides to supplement her observations.

Your girls will let you know if they like the things you've tossed their way. PM me if you'd like more bird ideas...

I think you're doing just fine, by the way. You don't have to get all intense about grammar and stuff right now. Reading aloud is great. Nature study (love those birds!) is wonderful. Strew some library books around the house and see which ones they ask you to read aloud. They'll love it!

(Does your library have National Geographic Kids or Ranger Rick magazine? This is a fun weekly expedition, should you need a reason to get your girls into my favorite public institution, the library!)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version