Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
St. Anne's Tearoom: Growing in Wisdom over 40
 4Real Forums : St. Anne's Tearoom: Growing in Wisdom over 40
Subject Topic: Taking care of our husbands Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maturemomg
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 10 2007 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote Maturemomg

Okay, I'll pipe in.
My dh is seriously overweight. Always has been. Very slowly over the last 30 years getting worse (more weight).
The ONE thing that helps ME the most (from dh or ANYONE)is a good example. When I see my dh out there at 6 am walking every day, it inspires ME to exercise (and he doesn't have to SAY anything).   If he turns down a dessert or makes a healthy food choice while eating out, it helps me to do the same.
While we can provide support in many ways, it is their choice. And their responsibility and possibly sin (if they choose to live in a manner which may impair their abibilty -or life- as a provider and husband.)

Yours in Christ,
Kathy
Back to Top View Maturemomg's Profile Search for other posts by Maturemomg

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2007 at 6:57pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Kevin and his sibs must have the slowest metabolisms in the world. They have to work out so faithfully and eat so little to lose any weight. Kevin lost 100 pounds last year on a medically supervised liquid weight loss diet. (Our insurance covered part of it since he is a cardiac patient.) He has kept most of it off but it creeps back easily and he has to hit the gym extra hard and go back to the shakes every now and then.

It helps him if I load the kitchen with fruits and salads ready to eat.

He is strong as an ox and quite athletic so I encourage him in anything he wants to do. Even when i resent he time away from us to do it.

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2007 at 7:08pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Oh, Bridget! Wow! 100 lbs. ----- You are an amazing woman for not complaining through a long time, I'm sure of low-blood sugar moods!

But the cardiac patient part must have inspired and lightened the load....we don't have that yet. In fact, low blood pressure on his side of the family, believe it or not! My older two children have a form...Reynaud's Syndrome....that poor circulation in the extremities and dizziness. Hopefully it will be the thing that protects him....ah well, God's Will in all things!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 10 2007 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote helene

I have really enjoyed baking from sandra Woodruff's Secrets of Fat-Free Baking this winter. I checked it out of the library at first, but then loved it so much I bought my own copy. It has lots of delicious quick breads, muffins, cakes, scones, biscotti, etc. with just about NO fat(usually less than 1 gram). She uses only natural sweeteners and whole grain flours. These baked goods are not candy sweet, but very tasty and it is easy to re-train your taste-buds a bit, especially when you consider the benefits. I ate the brownies on page 58 every day during the past 6 weeks and still lost 6 lbs (I had a very merry Christmas and needed to lose it before I got comfortable with it). My husband loves these baked goods. He can usually detect high levels of fat in his food and has come to prefer the lighter choices. His father died of a heart attack at age 62 and his father before him at age 40 something. I don't want to be mothering him, but I think I owe it to him to bake, keep, or buy only healthy foods and encourage good habits. I think this is part of being a "helpmate".
Back to Top View helene's Profile Search for other posts by helene

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2007 at 7:11am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

helene wrote:
I think I owe it to him to bake, keep, or buy only healthy foods and encourage good habits. I think this is part of being a "helpmate".

I think this is key ... Our husbands might not make healthy choices on their own, but we can provide a lot of healthy options at home.

My sister is married to a man seventeen years her senior ... when I was younger, I used to think she "mothered" him in terms of the food choices she made, things she prepared, etc. But now that I'm older and a bit wiser (and now that my own husband is older, too) I see her wisdom and loving concern in the matter.

Nina Murphy wrote:

I know that regular exercise would do him so much good, if for no other reason than stress relief and release. But you know our lives----it just doesn't get done.

Is there any way, Nina, that you can incorporate doing something with him? With you and the kids?

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2007 at 10:45am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

helene wrote:
I have really enjoyed baking from sandra Woodruff's Secrets of Fat-Free Baking

Wow. I love it when I hear of books and authors of whom I'd never heard. I found that she wrote many more fat-free books. Can't wait to check them out of the library. I never liked cottage cheese and would much prefer low-fat ricotta in recipes such as lasagna. I don't like no fat cream cheese (but am eschewing cream cheese altogether as it does strange things to my stomach). Some of the no-fat things on the market are rubbery and tasteless. I end up tweaking the recipes that have no-fat items to suit our taste. I'm sure that's not the intent of the author.

On another track, do you find, as you age, that your stomach tends to not be able to tolerate certain foods?

helene
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 11 2007 at 2:42pm | IP Logged Quote helene

Tina, thanks for the link to more fat-free cookbooks by this author!! I only had the dessert one! I like your idea of tweaking. In the baking book she gives instructions on how to change your own favorite family recipes into fat-free ones.
Back to Top View helene's Profile Search for other posts by helene

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 11 2007 at 7:21pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Oh, Karen, yes, I know---that is truly the ideal, I think. We have indeed tried that over the years, just him and me in the evening, or all of us (when we had less) with babes pushed in strollers. I suppose we are in such a state of catatonia come day's end that after dinner and Rosary and treatments and bed routines....well: we don't care anymore.      We've just given up. It's the ol' relaxation and rest we succumb to.

The BEST happiest times for me are when we all trek to Muir Woods and go for a long walk in the Redwoods or to SF and walk along the beach, or all play in some spontaneous game or sport. You're right---it's the best.   I love dancing around with the girls (but my husband does NOT get into that)!

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 07 2007 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

aussieannie wrote:

What about doing a google search on Maca? Maca is a South American root that is great for regulating the hormones which means it is anti-aging, for the lowering of our hormones go hand and hand with aging and good hormone levels protect us from many health problems. I cook with Maca too, I use to make a great cake using almond meal and subsituted some of the almond meal for Maca, it was an Orange and Lemon cake and it was very yummy.

Anne,

Could you share your recipe?

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 26 2007 at 4:04pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I've been reading all these great posts because, like many of you my dh has a very high-stress job and his exercise is minimal. I'm thankful that he doesn't really have a weight problem (that would be me in this family ). But, his mother has very high blood pressure and recently had open heart surgery. This, along with us having a baby 2 weeks ago has both him and I thinking we need to do a better job of taking care of ourselves. I'm wondering how all the above information "gels" with the book Nourishing Traditions? I ask because I have that one on hold at the library, but am I correct that it is not really a low-fat way of eating? I want all of us to be more healthy, but I certainly don't want dh or I to add extra pounds in the process!!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

aussieannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 10 2007 at 8:29pm | IP Logged Quote aussieannie

I have just posted on my blog about my husband's daily lunch and how I try to gear it for his good, long term health. My dh is much older than me and so it is such an important priority for me.

Back to Top View aussieannie's Profile Search for other posts by aussieannie Visit aussieannie's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version