Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Pysanky or Ukrainian Eggs Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
mathmama
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 31 2007 at 2:52pm | IP Logged Quote mathmama

momtomany wrote:
Beth and I had a great time! And I have to say that I was very impressed with her results!

Yes, it was alot of fun and I have to say that my eggs turned out well for a math geek!    All of the eggs looked great! I can't wait until my DD is old enough to do it.

Beth
Back to Top View mathmama's Profile Search for other posts by mathmama

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 31 2007 at 4:15pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary G., Mary Ann, and Beth! I'm so happy you are enjoying it, and the materials are good.

I uploaded some of my pysanky from years past here. Two are made by dh, two made by professionals, 3 are mine. Here's the slideshow.

My mother has the eggs I made from permanent markers, my very first imitation attempts. One day I'll photograph them.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 31 2007 at 9:32pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Don't miss this thread for some picture books on pysanky.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2007 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote momtomany

We had such fun with the pysanky eggs! It seemed that in the last few days of Holy Week, there was always someone at the table working on an egg. Two of my sons were home from college, and one brought his girlfried for the break. She is Methodist, but found it very interesting that we were going to church for Easter. She did a wonderful job with the eggs; actually made quite a few. She also found it very curious that I made hot cross buns and lamb cake too. My 2 youngest explained the icons that they had colored for Easter too. Perhaps we struck a spark of faith??

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2007 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote momtomany

JennGM wrote:

I uploaded some of my pysanky from years past here. Two are made by dh, two made by professionals, 3 are mine. Here's the slideshow.

Jenn, they are all very beautiful!!!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 10 2007 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

momtomany wrote:
We had such fun with the pysanky eggs! It seemed that in the last few days of Holy Week, there was always someone at the table working on an egg. Two of my sons were home from college, and one brought his girlfried for the break. She is Methodist, but found it very interesting that we were going to church for Easter. She did a wonderful job with the eggs; actually made quite a few. She also found it very curious that I made hot cross buns and lamb cake too. My 2 youngest explained the icons that they had colored for Easter too. Perhaps we struck a spark of faith??

Oh, that's just too great! Symbols can be a seed! I was just talking with my sister about how the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd works with symbols and types of Christ to teach the Faith...just like with eggs.

And thanks for the compliments. I hope when ds is a bit older to be able to leave an egg decorating "station" so it can be done more often. Wouldn't that be fun? Your description reminds me of the year I started decorating with permanent markers (Sharpies). I just spent all my spare time with eggs in hand.

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: April 10 2007 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote Celeste

Just had to share this here, although it's not true pysanky. We color our hb eggs with crayons (paschal symbols), then dye them with Paas, like most people in America. My second daughter (8) showed me one she designed all by herself: rings, starting at bottom of egg: birth of Jesus; next ring, Jesus preaching the Gospel; third ring, Jesus dies on the cross; fourth ring, the resurrection; at the top of the egg, Jesus seated at the right hand of the Father.

It was so cool to watch the children absorb the Paschal mystery and "narrate" it onto their eggs.

Celeste
Back to Top View Celeste's Profile Search for other posts by Celeste

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 10 2007 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Wow Celeste -- that sounds so cool. Don't you love when they take something and run with it.... a marvelous bonus to worrying about what you're teaching 'em and are they really gettin' it?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2011 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I know it's advent but for some reason I've got eggs on my mind, and I thought I'd ask here now before I forget again! My daughter learned to do pysanky when we lived in PA from some very nice old ladies at a small Catholic parish in Wilkes-Barre. she learned how to do the dyes (we still have them!) but for several years now I've been wanting to learn how to do the eggs that are done this way:

vinegar-etched eggs, no color

Does anyone know a book or website where I can learn to do this? Jenn, anyone? Thanks!!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2011 at 9:21pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stefoodie wrote:
I know it's advent but for some reason I've got eggs on my mind, and I thought I'd ask here now before I forget again! My daughter learned to do pysanky when we lived in PA from some very nice old ladies at a small Catholic parish in Wilkes-Barre. she learned how to do the dyes (we still have them!) but for several years now I've been wanting to learn how to do the eggs that are done this way:

vinegar-etched eggs, no color

Does anyone know a book or website where I can learn to do this? Jenn, anyone? Thanks!!

Advent is a great time to do pysanka! Think Christmas themed ornaments! In Europe, such as Hungary and Poland, there are tons of handpainted and other sorts of egg ornaments!

Anyway, you can watch this video to begin with. Most people doing the etch process use serious chemicals to etch the egg. Vinegar does only a little bit of etching, most people are using The Works Toilet Bowl cleaner.

I know you are careful about chemicals, that's why I'm mentioning it.

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2011 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Funny this topic should come up today. My ds (who is doing a little study of Russia) and I were reading Uncle Vova's Tree about a Russian immigrant family and their Christmas traditions. One tradition caught my eye: the hanging of pysanky eggs on the tree. I was surprised to see that they are used as ornaments at Christmas as well as decorations at Easter! So, Jenn is right (again, ). Advent is a great time to make some of these lovely eggs. You could make a few to hang on your tree!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2011 at 9:55pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

When my sister spent a semester in Austria, she came back with two decorated egg ornaments from Hungary. They were my absolute favorite ornaments for years, until they both bit the dust by some little hands.

Since Christmas pysanky isn't as traditional, there is more room or license to explore different symbolism or techniques.

There are such great symbols of Christmas that can be used, but I'm also thinking of how to incorporate the symbolism of the Light of the World at Christmas, prefiguring the Light symbolism at Easter.

I've often thought I'd love to do a Jesse Tree or Advent Tree done with eggs. It's a project to do when my boys are a bit older. And how about a saint ornament for the saints in Advent and Christmas?

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 08 2011 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

JennGM wrote:
I've often thought I'd love to do a Jesse Tree or Advent Tree done with eggs. It's a project to do when my boys are a bit older. And how about a saint ornament for the saints in Advent and Christmas?

What lovely ideas! When I read ideas like this, I wish I were more artistic! We did a few eggs last year, but they look pretty "rustic"...maybe a couple of decades more of practice will bring improvement !

How will you do Light of the World? Something like a black background with a burst pattern of yellow, white, and red might be reminiscent of John 1--the Light shines in the darkest and the darkest has not overcome it.

ETA: I have Ukranian Easter Eggs and How to Make Them on my Wish List over at Amazon. Have you seen this book, Jenn? Can you recommend it for a rank beginner?

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 11:50am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

stellamaris wrote:

ETA: I have Ukranian Easter Eggs and How to Make Them on my Wish List over at Amazon. Have you seen this book, Jenn? Can you recommend it for a rank beginner?

Late to see this, Caroline! This is one of the original books by The Ukrainian Gift Shop. These are all wonderful books and this one will teach you the basics and give some basic patterns.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version