Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Plan for next year: No Burnout Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 20 2007 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

I burnt out on Sound Beginnings, too, Helen, and the Writing Road to Reading (when I was using those years ago). I came to realize the mom just needs to use what she finds doable and enjoyable and workable. I was going against my instincts because they just were not "me" (or my children, for that matter). Just wanted to share that with you...sometimes it *is* the curriculum or method choices, at least in part, at least in my experience....        

and 2 yet-to-be-met
Back to Top View Nina Murphy's Profile Search for other posts by Nina Murphy

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2007 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

Helen wrote:

I'm wondering if it might be too much for a homeschooler to try to keep to 10 months of schooling the way the schools do. Schooling here meaning: lesson plans.

I've wondered this before. We can finish most programs within about 30 weeks so that's what I aim for, but honestly, even that feels awful sometimes. I've thought about going to 28 week schedules but then I feel like I'm cheating.

Also, I think DEFINITELY curriculum can make a year feel worse than normal. We are having that problem this year because ds wanted a traditional program. In Jan. I already dropped almost 1/2 of it because it was so awful, but we kept up with a few things (mostly because I just couldn't afford this year to buy something else). I can't tell you how much I hate Apologia now and Seton's grammar is running a close second.

I am being very intentional about my choices for this fall. As few workbooks as possible, gentle for the youngers, literature based, CM style language arts, programs that don't require end of chapter questions and tests but summaries or narrations and hands on learning instead, and programs that allow the child to work as independently as possible. I'm more excited about next year than I am about finishing this year!

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Cheryl
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2007 at 9:29pm | IP Logged Quote Cheryl

Helen, I think this is a great thread topic.

I have a question for those of you who have read the Secret Garden. Do you think it's a good read aloud for boys ages 8 and 6?

Back to Top View Cheryl's Profile Search for other posts by Cheryl Visit Cheryl's Homepage

alicegunther
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2007 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote alicegunther

Cheryl wrote:
Helen, I think this is a great thread topic.

I have a question for those of you who have read the Secret Garden. Do you think it's a good read aloud for boys ages 8 and 6?

Yes, because Dickon is a wonderful young male character to capture their interest. Colin is a memorable character as well, and there are plenty of good rugged outdoor scenes. (Rugged, as in weeding-the-garden rugged.)

Cottage Blessings
Brew yourself a cup of tea, and come for a visit!
Back to Top View alicegunther's Profile Search for other posts by alicegunther Visit alicegunther's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 20 2007 at 10:07pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Nina Murphy wrote:
I burnt out on Sound Beginnings, too, Helen, and the Writing Road to Reading (when I was using those years ago). I came to realize the mom just needs to use what she finds doable and enjoyable and workable.    

This was my fourth year with Sound Beginnings. (I'm just realizing that some people in the store when they see me with my easily recognizable adopted children they say to me: "You must be a glutton for punishment." As I write this post, I'm beginning to think there is some truth to that statment!)

I think the main difference this year was having many children to teach at the same time. At first, this was very economical use of time. But, now, in my reflective state, I think it wears one down to try to teach with such a syllabus to many children.

One-on-one teaching is best. One-to-many in my homeschool environment didn't work as well.

I have to say, I'm wondering about using any such program as the foundation of my homeschool next year.

I'm thinking at this point, ONE math text book (and I also want to say Latin) with read alouds followed by   copywork. Period.

Rabbit trails in the afternoon - if the children lead them.

Well, Latin might work if there is no deadline involved. The same with the Math text book. A page or a concept a day with no deadline to finish the book. Just discipline of habit.

What do you think? Is this a plan for energy? Realistic? Sufficient?

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 12:27am | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

JSchaaf wrote:
Tina,
What did you change?
Jennifer

I changed it all. I felt quite stifled and as though too much was expected of my children when I attempted to follow CHC's lesson plans for their ages. Maybe my kids aren't maturationally *there*. Maybe those plans are for exceptionally bright kids or my kids aren't very bright. Whatever the case may be ... we completely started our year over in February, when I finally figured out what I wanted, ordered it, and had it in house. You know, when companies like CHC, Seton, or MODG, put grades or ages by which children should be able to do X, homeschooling moms begin to fret, comparing their child to that curriculum and wonder how in the world they are going to accomplish what the curriculum sets out for them to do. I don't know ONE homeschool mom who doesn't feel that she's behind in her families' studies. It's that comparison thing that REALLY drags me down and makes me feel as though I'm not worthy to homeschool my kids.

I'll post exactly what we changed and why on my blog ... tomorrow or maybe even Friday afternoon (it's getting too late tonight). I started to post specifics here, then lost the entire post. It was getting too long, anyway.

Kathryn UK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 3:35am | IP Logged Quote Kathryn UK

Helen wrote:
I'm thinking at this point, ONE math text book (and I also want to say Latin) with read alouds followed by   copywork. Period.

... What do you think? Is this a plan for energy? Realistic? Sufficient?

Helen, that is very close to what I am doing with my 8yo. I wanted to scale down the amount I planned to give us time to do all the stuff we never get to . She does maths and Latin daily, and we just do the next thing - in Latin particularly I usually let her stop when she has had enough.

As for breaking up the school year ... I'm not sure whether it was the same in CM's day, but schools here not only have three terms, they have a week long half-term break in the middle of each. Although it flexes a bit to fit in with state school breaks (so the girls are off when their friends are) and for us to take vacations during term time (when everything is much cheaper), our school year works like this:

Autumn term September to December, with one week break end of October.
Two week Christmas break
Spring term January to April, with one week break in February.
Two week Easter break
Summer term April to July, with one week break end of May.
Six week summer break

After six or seven weeks of "school" time we are always ready for a break

Back to Top View Kathryn UK's Profile Search for other posts by Kathryn UK

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 5:54am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Helen wrote:

If a homeschooler has young children (who need a lot of mommy) and special needs students (who need a lot of mommy) then should the curriculum also include a lot of mommy?

I'm considering the importance of less dependence upon me. I don't think this means more workbooks but more of what I've been reading in vol. 6 of Charlotte Mason. Letting the books do the teaching.

I think you're right... although I know that with my 10 yo simply requiring some subjects is going to require a lot of effort on my part. This year, after trying Kolbe for a little while, I've come to realize that I've just got to focus on those few subjects which are really essential as far as academics go... at least, the ones that are essential in my house, because without direct instruction my kids don't seem to make any progress.    Because my son puts up such a fight about certain subjects, in the past I've thought that maybe we ought to be unschooling. But unschooling doesn't seem to work either. I think there's a balance to be found, but it's a constant job (seems like) to find it.

Anyway, around here we need to focus on math, with some spelling and grammar thrown in... but I found AVKO spelling this year and have really been pleased with it. 15-20 minutes every day, and that's it. Grammar is also kept suitably short. I want to include Latin as well, but I've gotten so tired fighting with my 10 yo over it that I am searching for different Latin programs right now -- and we were only using Prima Latina. The rest, I think, should just be books.

Still, I know that requiring even this minimal amount of work is going to wear me down at times just because of the issues I deal with around here. I think that next year I have got to *plan* breaks better instead of waiting until I'm exhausted, and have on hand some interesting things for the kids to do while we're breaking. Usually on a break I try frantically to organize the house, but that's not much of a break for me! So I have to do a better job of this.

I've also come to think that it's important for me to pursue some activities that *I* enjoy throughout the year. Otherwise I get hung up on homeschooling and housekeeping and burn out on both.

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Corrine
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: March 21 2007 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote Corrine

Helen wrote:
Well, Latin might work if there is no deadline involved. The same with the Math text book. A page or a concept a day with no deadline to finish the book. Just discipline of habit.

What do you think? Is this a plan for energy? Realistic? Sufficient?

Helen, this has been our plan for years now. We just do the next lesson with no timeline for finishing our math text, or grammar, or Latin. I really believe this allows us to put mastery first. We are pretty diligent about trying to cover 4 lessons a week in these subjects but it certainly doesn’t happen every week. I always think of Understood Betsy and how she was one grade in reading, another in math, and so on.

We take a two month break from everything (except nature study and literature) in the summer and as we approach that time of year I look for a good stopping point – usually right before a review. The only thing I don’t like is that our school kind of peters out instead of having a last day of school.

Back to Top View Corrine's Profile Search for other posts by Corrine Visit Corrine's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 8:02am | IP Logged Quote Helen

Kathryn UK wrote:
Helen wrote:

... What do you think? Is this a plan for energy? Realistic? Sufficient?

Helen, that is very close to what I am doing with my 8yo.

I am also referring to my eight year olds and under.

Kathryn UK wrote:

Autumn term September to December, with one week break end of October.
Two week Christmas break
Spring term January to April, with one week break in February.
Two week Easter break
Summer term April to July, with one week break end of May.
Six week summer break

After six or seven weeks of "school" time we are always ready for a break

Very helpful Kathryn.
I think I need to make a basic plan for the year. Thank you.

Fr. Nirala in Achieving Peace of Heart says that real rest is achieved not so much with lots of sleep but through extended, uninterrupted concentration on a task. It can be more restful to engage in a hobby for an hour or two than to sleep if your sleep is fitful, worried or agitated.

I'm working this idea into my homeschool plan. With several students, I'm considering the improtance of making a plan that incorporates "uninterrupted concentration." If a few young children, or even if you have one volatile student who demands a lot of attention, this will wear the teacher down.

Again, I see read alouds benefitting young children and giving them (and me) some uninterrupted, concentration.

Maybe, for the children who can't concentrate give them another activity so that some time is spent uninterrupted with some of the children. Does this make sense?

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote Helen

I also meant to add that one of St. Maximilian Kolbe's sayings includes:

Think about what you are doing and nothing else.

(This is restful.)

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 8:09am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

Kathryn UK wrote:
She does maths and Latin daily, and we just do the next thing - in Latin particularly I usually let her stop when she has had enough.

I've been watching this thread insync with the One Thing a Day thread and it's all good.

I like what you have here, Kathryn. I've just about got my thoughts mapped out for the summer and next school year...at least for one child. This is very helpful.

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

donnalynn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote donnalynn

I've been homeschooling for 6 years and this has been my worst winter yet for burnout. So I too am determined to have some kind of plan in place for next year.

Now that I'm coming out of it I'm thinking back over the little bright spots I did experience from mid-January to now. I am going to write them all down in a letter to my self that I will keep in my calendar for next year. (I'll probably put it in an envelope and tape it to the back cover of my current planner and then switch it to the new calendar).

I realized that once I'm in the midst of the winter blues I can't see or recall the things that help - so hopefully having a "note to myself" will give me some quick and easy ideas to refer to - I'm including everything from a reminder to evaluate my prayer life to titles of some movies that I know will make me smile.

It will be a do not open until Jan. 15th letter!

Great thread!

Donna
Island in the Grove
Back to Top View donnalynn's Profile Search for other posts by donnalynn

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 1:46pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Helen wrote:

(This is restful.)

Do you think:

Meaning at the *present moment*? What you ARE DOING.

Or meaning: What YOU are doing, not what others are doing?

and 2 yet-to-be-met

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 3:08pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Nina Murphy wrote:
Helen wrote:

(This is restful.)

Do you think:

Meaning at the *present moment*? What you ARE DOING.

Or meaning: What YOU are doing, not what others are doing?

I think the saying means present moment.

Here are some other thoughts:

Tennis players talk about "playing in the now" otherwise they lose the match.

Seize the day!
Enjoy your children in the moment.

Cultivating the awareness of God's presence.

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Does "seize the day" have a different connotation than what I intended?

Celeste
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: March 21 2007 at 4:07pm | IP Logged Quote Celeste

I think the Jesuits (?) say "age quod agis"--do what you are doing.

celeste
Back to Top View Celeste's Profile Search for other posts by Celeste

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 5:37pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Living in the present moment and abandoning to it, waiting in a sense serenely for what God has next for you (with conditions of course--you are faithfully fulfilling your duties) is *exactly* what I am trying to do right now with Fr. Caussade and Abandonment to Divine Providence!! How timely!!! How this quote would transform my life if I could do it!!!!

[And my husband's favorite saint in the entire world, his patron, is St. Maximilian Kolbe. He has wanted to name a son Maximilian since Maggie was born but I promised my family and friends no more M-A names! MAry, MAtthew, and MAgdalene...and then MAximilian?]

and 2 yet-to-be-met

LLMom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 7:00pm | IP Logged Quote LLMom

Bookswithtea wrote:

I am being very intentional about my choices for this fall. As few workbooks as possible, gentle for the youngers, literature based, CM style language arts, programs that don't require end of chapter questions and tests but summaries or narrations and hands on learning instead, and programs that allow the child to work as independently as possible. I'm more excited about next year than I am about finishing this year!

Okay books,

How do you do all of the above and have them independent? That is why I switched to a prepackaged curriculum 2 years ago. I just didn't have the time to sit and type narrations, give dictations, do hands on stuff and I couldn't find a program that had that without a lot of teacher involvment. I am planning for next year and am facing the same challenges. My little ones are still so needy and I have 5 homeschool aged children. I would love to do what you describe but it makes my head spin thinking about it.

Back to Top View LLMom's Profile Search for other posts by LLMom

Nina Murphy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 7:26pm | IP Logged Quote Nina Murphy

Lisa, me also!!!

The only thing that is "independent" learning for us is a lesson plan written out that they can follow themselves.   I have spent HOURS doing it in the past and now I am SO ready for someone else to. Boo-hoo. But then it's never perfect, is it?

One can always buy the best workbooks for the child for the subject and just say, "Do a page a day in this and then bring it to me" or even give them the keys to correct themselves (older trustworthy children)!   And assign a list of living books to read and then "report" to you on it.   That's what I've done during extreme trial times and post-partum. BUT that doesn't deal with the children who aren't reading very well yet.....

and 2 yet-to-be-met

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version