Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Ideas needed for breakfast and lunch Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JSchaaf
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 03 2005 at 12:08pm | IP Logged Quote JSchaaf

I need ideas for breakfasts and lunches! For breakfast during the week it's just me and the girls, and I tend to rotate cold cereal, oatmeal, and scrambled eggs. Dh cooks pancakes or waffles on the weekends. Lunch is usually hot dogs, Kraft mac and cheese, or PB and J. Dh takes leftovers to work and I usually have leftovers for lunch as well. The girls aren't too into leftovers. I think I may have to get them used to them! Anyway, I'm looking for ideas to make meals healthier and CHEAPER!!
Thanks!
Jennifer
Back to Top View JSchaaf's Profile Search for other posts by JSchaaf

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 03 2005 at 12:50pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

we just had sardines and mayo on baguette. and leftover pork and rice. and sliced cantaloupe. yum. yup, getting used to leftovers helps. or dress up leftovers a bit -- the sardines were leftover from 2 nights ago, hardly anyone touched it, so i thought i'd have it all by myself today, but when 8-yo paco saw me putting it on the baguette, he wanted to try.

i'm reading Jeffrey Steingarten's book "The Man Who Ate Everything" and in it he mentions this booklet put out by the USDA, the Thrifty Meal Plan; i haven't personally tried any of the recipes, but the few i've seen look good enough...

the USDA's tips for Healthy, Thrifty Meals, in PDF form

hth,

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Natalia
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 03 2005 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote Natalia

Some months ago I asked the same question on the CCM list and this is some of the suggestions I got for lunches:

-scramble eggs with toast
-smoked sausage links
-peanut butter and nutella sandwiches with cheese sticks on the side
-cold cut face: ritz cracker eyes, strip of cheese for eyebrows, tomato nose, olive ears, apple slice smile, shredded cheese hair.
-grilled cheese - you can dress this up a bit adding tomato,or apples or pears, or ...
-tortilla pizza: prick a corn tortilla with a fork, place in a microwave for 30-45 sec or until hard. Top with sauce, cheese and toppings of your choice. Microwave for 15-20 sec longer until cheese melts.
-Nachos
-Tuna roll ups
-Spag. with meatballs
- ham and cream cheese roll ups
-home made lunchables
-corn dogs
-quesadillas with salsa on the side
-baked potatoes with toppings (leftover taco meat works well here)
-open face ham and cheese: ham and mozzarella on a slice of bread and broil until cheese melts and browns
-grilled cheese and bacon

I also discover two books that have given me some ideas

Honest Pretzels by Molly ( forgot her last name...)
Cooking Rocks by Rachel Ray

The Rachel Ray one really has some good recipes. Some we have tried are
scramble eggs with fruit benedict, alphabet soup with cheese dippers.

HTH,

Natalia
Back to Top View Natalia's Profile Search for other posts by Natalia

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 03 2005 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

Jennifer,
I have really been enjoying many cookbooks by Nava Atlas. She has a website too with some free recipes. All of her cookbooks were available at our local library and they helped me build in some additional nutrition into our days and some creativity as well. She is a vegetarian cook and that was great for us even though we aren't vegetarians just because there were recipes in there that were very new for me and it really freshened us up in the kitchen.

I love the way she sets up her recipes too. She kind-of frames them into who meal plans that you can take or leave. I feel all her cookbooks are good, but my favorite one is The Vegetarian Family Cookbook for it's simplicity and layout.

Leanne Ely has some great books too. She would have some additional b-fast recipes you might find of interest. Finally, you might try doing a 'breakfast cookbook' search on the search engine in your library. Might try that myself as we are in the bfast rut too. Our lunches and dinners have really, really improved with the use of Ely's, Atlas's and some other cookbooks. But breakfast is a little challenge at the moment.

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 03 2005 at 5:42pm | IP Logged Quote Willa

I have a breakfast rotation:

Monday, toast and cereal
Tuesday, pancakes and sausages
Wednesdays, muffins or quick bread (can prepare ingredients the night before)
Thursday, scrambled eggs
Friday, homemade rolls or bread or French toast
Saturday, hash browns or Irish potatoes
Sunday, homemade cinnamon rolls or bagels or scones

All these served with seasonal fruit and milk, and the kids are free to fix their own if they prefer.

Lunch is usually leftovers or pbs; Fridays we have mac n cheese, or tuna sandwiches, Saturday we have hot dogs, and there's always tortillas and cheese in the fridge if someone prefers a quesadilla. The kids 9 and up make their own lunches.   

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 03 2005 at 6:12pm | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

Mollie Katzen wrote Honest Pretzels (a cookbook for kids)
and she also wrote Sunlight Cafe, her breakfast book. It's full of great ideas and inspiration for the morning.

I love both these books.

Morning is sort of comical around here. We actually have First Breakfast and Second Breakfast. First Breakfast is usually oatmeal or grits or some kind of starch and tea. This is fed to my children who are awake before I go to Curves. Then, I go off to exercise and when I get back I make Second Breakfast,usually eggs and potatoes or omelets and more tea.Second breakfast is served to Daddy upstairs on a tray with one child as his "breakfast buddy." You read that right: if he's not out of town, he gets breakfast in bed as a regular thing. It's a little crazy, I know, but it works for us! Lunch is often leftovers or almond butter and jelly sandwiches or homemade mac and cheese or risotto.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 03 2005 at 7:32pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

LOL at "Second Breakfast", I can hear Merry and Pippin.... "what about second breakfast?" "I don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip."

we sometimes have third and fourth breakfasts on lazy weekends, depending on who's awake when and what's left:D -- by the fourth breakfast it's lunch time and we start calling it brunch.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 03 2005 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Elizabeth wrote:
Lunch is often leftovers or almond butter and jelly sandwiches or homemade mac and cheese or risotto.

Elizabeth...
Aren't you or some of your family dairy or wheat sensitive? How do you work out meals for those on the days when you're eating sandwiches or pasta? I've gotta get to the chiropracter but I've a feeling a lot of foods are dragging me down. I'm already off dairy and after about 2 1/2 mos. it has really helped with my congestion. Do you just eat salads; and how would you find time to prepare them if you were still nursing? If it's notyou that has the wheat issues....sorry!!

God bless,
Gwen in Denver
Back to Top View momwise's Profile Search for other posts by momwise

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: June 04 2005 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

GWen,
I don't eat the sandwiches or the pasta. Usually, one of the big kids will do the prep. I still really, really miss my breadmaking days . I will occasionally make rice pasta. And cheese is a problem for my eldest who just stirs an egg into the hot pasta for himself before adding cheese for the others.

I make a salad or a smoothie for myself for lunch. Lissa has a great idea for a personal mini bar (salad, that is) o n her blog.

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Willa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2005 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote Willa

Thanks for the link to Lissa's article, Elizabeth. I am a reforming cookie-eater myself, and just a couple of weeks ago realized that my problem was CONVENIENCE -- what's ready to eat when I'm hungry? -- so as a result started rinsing and chopping veggies ahead of time and keeping them in containers.   My oldest DS also likes having chopped vegetables ready to go so he can put them in his tortillas, etc.

Take Up and Read
Back to Top View Willa's Profile Search for other posts by Willa

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 04 2005 at 5:43pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

WJFR wrote:
Thanks for the link to Lissa's article, Elizabeth. I am a reforming cookie-eater myself, and just a couple of weeks ago realized that my problem was CONVENIENCE -- what's ready to eat when I'm hungry

Yes! Yesterday I ate a bowl of cereal because it was quickest, then the next time I was really hungry I simply ate a bowl of granola with bananas becuase it would be ready the fastest. Then in the afternoon I left without eating at all because there was nothing ready to grab. Of course by evening I was not feeling well at all.
I'm planning to do the pre-chopped veggie plan!

God bless,
Gwen in Denver

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 09 2005 at 8:59pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

I want to share one my favourite recipes for making pancakes. The difference in this recipes is that you bake the pancakes, which eliminates the need to stand by the stove flipping pancake after pancake. The texture is slightly different but we love it!

Serves 2-4
2 large eggs
1/2 c milk
1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
Few grains of ground nutmeg

Heat oven to 400 F. Whisk eggs and milk. Beat in flour, salt and nutmeg. Spray baking tray with non-stick. Bake uncovered 18-20 min without opening oven door. Serve.

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2005 at 8:55am | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

Genevieve wrote:
The difference in this recipes is that you bake the pancakes, which eliminates the need to stand by the stove flipping pancake after pancake.

Genevieve,

The last time I tried a baked pancake it puffed up a lot and it seemed more like a quiche than a pancake. Am I doing something wrong? (If it's in the kitchen, I'm probably doing it wrong ....)

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2005 at 10:00am | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

I'm no expert in baked pancakes but if I had to guess...did your baked pancake recipe called for baking soda or baking powder? If so, perhaps you could reduce the amount. Another method would be do what chefs do to prevent puff pastry from puffing too much - placing foil over the top with some dried beans to serve as a counter weight.

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2005 at 11:57am | IP Logged Quote momwise

Genevieve wrote:
Spray baking tray with non-stick. Bake uncovered 18-20 min without opening oven door. Serve.

Genevieve,
Does this mean you use a cookie sheet (jelly roll pan) or a 9 x 13 baking pan? I never thought of baking it on a sheet. Mine puffs up quite high also, but my recipe calls for more eggs.

God bless,
Gwen in Denver

Genevieve
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2005 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote Genevieve

Gwen,

Yup! A cookie sheet. One huge rectangular pancake.

I went investigating about the effects of eggs on baking here If you scroll down till the left most column states "large air pockets in bread or bread swells beyond pan edges" .

Cause : too much yeast or baking powder used; too much egg (if allowed) or too much egg replacer or egg substitute used.

Solution: check measurements; very high altitudes or hot humid weather accelerates yeast activity-adjust by decreasing liquids some, decreasing egg (or substitute) or baking powder, reduce yeast by 1/4; if eggs are allowed be sure each egg measures 1/4 cup liquid.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version