Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: What's in your Library Hold Queue? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 21 2007 at 10:18am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I have similar feelings to Tina P. I have a mostly hate relationship with my library. I really could use a library system expert to help me use mine better. I don't think I'm even allowed 15 books on hold. I can't find numbers or rules...it almost is arbitrary when I click on reserve, it will let me and sometimes not. Blocks against me, but I can't find what it means in their system. And the computer system is so slow. Seasonal books are almost always checked out forever. DVDs and Videos only 1 week checkout.

Most of the time it isn't worth it.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 21 2007 at 1:08pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
I have similar feelings to Tina P. I have a mostly hate relationship with my library. I really could use a library system expert to help me use mine better. I don't think I'm even allowed 15 books on hold. I can't find numbers or rules...it almost is arbitrary when I click on reserve, it will let me and sometimes not. Blocks against me, but I can't find what it means in their system. And the computer system is so slow. Seasonal books are almost always checked out forever. DVDs and Videos only 1 week checkout.

Most of the time it isn't worth it.

I am just so sad for those of you with libraries like this.

Denver's library is consitently in the top 5 for public libraries it's size in the annual Hennen's American Public Library Rating . We were number one for several years in a row around 2002. Check it out and see if your libraries are ranked high. Ohio looks like it has the largest number of libraries making the list.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

I'm embarrassed. I don't much use the library for the kids. I buy children's books because there is so much twaddle! I do often get audiobooks for the kids, though. Nothing on hold for them but I am headed there next week to see what's on the shelves as we are making a loooonnnngggg drive in 2 weeks.

I use the library for me, though!    I am waiting for

The Future of Food and
Big Box Swindle

which were both ILL's. I also check out the PBS House Series or Ken Burns DVD's when I'm feeling like watching something educational. My friend wants me to read a secular best seller called Waiting For Daisy that she says is hard to put down (about infertility in a modern woman's libber). I was thinking about looking at the back cover the next time I go. And I'm waiting for one of the libraries that mine ILL's to get the new Katherine Valentine novel. I can't say I love these, but they are easy reads that are uplifting and I'm mostly in the mood for easy reading right now.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

MaryM wrote:
Denver's library is consitently in the top 5 for public libraries it's size in the annual Hennen's American Public Library Rating . We were number one for several years in a row around 2002. Check it out and see if your libraries are ranked high. Ohio looks like it has the largest number of libraries making the list.
Mary M -- you find the coolest statistics -- and sites that rank things ...

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 21 2007 at 3:24pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mary G wrote:
MaryM wrote:
Mary M -- you find the coolest statistics -- and sites that rank things ...

I agree!

I'd love to see all the rankings, and see what's classified as "the worst". But in briefly reading, this doesn't evaluate the electronic stuff? Does that mean remote computer usage and the electronic catalog?

And from this list it seems the majority that what classifies as good library system is the usage. So if people use the library more often, it makes it a better library.

Maybe people in OH just know and use their library more often.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 3:48pm | IP Logged Quote Marybeth

Great thread!

We can have 100 books out per card. My ds and I really take advantage of it.

Although since I had mono and then had surgery this winter has been "light" for us. Right now I have 32 books checked out, 17 holds and 6 ready to be picked up.

The librarians biggest compliment to me is how many "great" books I borrow and how impressed they are with all the reading we do.

Books are checked out for 3 weeks. The videos,dvds, cds and new adult books are for 2 weeks.

I couldn't live without a good library. It was a huge requirement when moving for me. Our first outing in town as a family besides dinner out the first night was to stop in and get our library cards.

Off to check and see if dh will take me to the library tonight to pick up our holds?!?!

Mb

Tina P.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 4:17pm | IP Logged Quote Tina P.

Marybeth wrote:
Our first outing in town as a family besides dinner out the first night was to stop in and get our library cards.

This cracks me up because our first visit to Salt Lake City was a trip past the library and I noticed that they would be having a library sale the next day. Guess where *I* went the next day? So I guess libraries are useful to me in this one way. It's a shame though, that I can *buy* good books from them because they are cast-offs, rather than borrow them.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version