Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Change of seasons and clothing Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 14 2007 at 9:34pm | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

msclavel wrote:
Eeek! This is one of my most dreaded chores. Let's just say that it never seems to be really "finished".

Maria, this sounds so much like me.   Just wait until your girls get older and have different tastes in clothing, different body shapes and heights! Yikes! It gets so complicated.

SuzanneG wrote:
I have 4 girls. I changed last year from storing by size (what each girl would grow into) to storing by type of clothing item/all sizes. ie:

bin/s for dresses
bin/s for pants
bin/s for shirts
bin/s for bloomers/shorts
bin/s for summer misc.
bin/s for skirts

Suzanne, this sounds like a great idea! I am going to try this.

I also love the suggestion of putting a fabric softener sheet in each bin!

Thanks for all the great words of wisdom!

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2007 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Suzanne - what a wonderful idea.. I think I'll go to this with my larger sized clothes.. I've really been stumped for how to do the clothes once they get too bulky for just one box.. I do some of it already.. keeping all swimsuits and socks in one box.. all long underwear and slippers in one box and all jammies in one box.. this might work.. hmm wonder what size I should start that in.

Although wouldn't that still leave you with needing multiple boxes by size? I mean.. I have my oldest girl in 8's and my youngest in 3-6 mo... so that's a lot of sizes for in the middle.. though of course there'd be ones out at all times too.. well no there wouldn't.. because there's a 2 boy gap between the youngest girl and the next one up... hmmmmmmmmmmmm

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2007 at 9:39am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I've been thinking about this....How would I do this if I had boys too. I think I would do the same thing. Just Mix the boy clothes in with the girl clothes.   Pants - boy and girl. Shirts-boy and girl.

For me, (and not everyone will have this same "issue") is that I had to make it simple for putting misc/stray items away. ie: Grandma sends some nice sweaters, but it's summer.....they would just SIT in the "holding room" forever because it took too much brain power to "analyze" each sweater and who would wear it next. I wouldn't do it....so things piled up.

The only thing I DON'T do this with is the baby clothing. When the baby grows out of things it goes in the "completely too small box" meaning that no one will need these except for another baby. I toss them in a bag/box in a hidden spot in the house and then when I get a bunch, they go in a "vaccuumed" bag, shoved under a bed. I WILL NOT need these for at least another year.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2007 at 9:46am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

JodieLyn wrote:
Although wouldn't that still leave you with needing multiple boxes by size?

Probably.
I would just make sure they are labeled in nice LARGE lettering and always stored next to each other. If not, it defeats the purpose of this 'system'. I also wouldn't differentiate between the boxes....too complicated.....pants, just pants. Not "pants 2-6" and "pants 6-12." Just all pants.

Also, you could set a limit ahead of time....ie: "I WILL NOT have more than 3 boxes of pants no matter WHAT the age spread of my children."   I'm not military, but I would imagine this is what military or any family who moves a lot would do.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 15 2007 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

MarieC wrote:
When the weather warmed up over the weekend and they were asking for warmer weather stuff I just went to the capri box and chose 3 pairs....way easier than getting out 3 (or more) "sized" boxes and choosing.

Yes!!!!!    I used to DREAD this sort of thing happening....cuz it would take FOREVER to find something. But, now, it takes literally 5 minutes for me to find a pair of capris!

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 21 2007 at 7:31pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

I've got three dds (and two boys en route, lol)...but so far, what we've done is this:

Large rubbermaid tubs. One for each size. EVERYTHING goes in there. EEEVVERYTHING...all seasons. So when the time comes to change it over (something my mother actually helped me do this past weekend, thank goodness), I can go thru, take all of the things out of the drawers, fold them more neatly, put them into their assigned box, and then refill the drawers with the next size up.

This works wonderfully well (I keep the boxes in the girls' bedroom closet--their hangup clothes are in the spare room closet, as well as the two large tubs of shoes, lol), except for my oldest. I do have one box for things that are too big for her for right now, but it is getting harder and harder to get things for her in advance (she's 7 and wearing an 8-9 now)...not to mention we only do dresses and skirts around here, which makes it even more interesting...lol...I spend all year, looking at yard sales, consignment shops and sales, thrift stores, etc, for things for the next year's wearing. Actually, size 10s don't look TOO bad (like I said, I just did the changeover last weekend, so I was able to refresh my memory of what I already had for her).

I've actually started buying more than one year in advance, simply because it is so hard to find modest things that fit our requirements, esp in the older sizes.

Once the boys start outgrowing their things, well, it will be interesting to see how we cope with needing more storage space (we are out pretty much already, lol).

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 22 2007 at 11:14am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

The most trouble I have is with future sizes, like those that no one has grown into yet but have been passed down from cousins. I finally decided to put them in a soft "sweater storage bag" like from the Container Store and keep them under my bed instead of near the other handmedowns. Does anyone have a better system?   

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2007 at 1:47am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

juststartn wrote:
Large rubbermaid tubs. One for each size. EVERYTHING goes in there. EEEVVERYTHING...all seasons.Rachel

With the exception of play clothes and winter snowsuits/mittens/hats (on labeled, curtained shelves in our laundryroom), me too.

Blue Rubbermaids for my boys. Red for my girl. Size label on the outside. Sorted by gender & stacked by size on shelves in the basement. Multiple dryer sheets tucked inside.

The change over is HORRIBLE if I let the boys participate...they have emotional attachments to their clothes if you can believe it... (I can't believe this )... and if I don't get them out of the house I have to spend my day whole day consoling them about the loss of this or that particular item. So when change-over day comes, out they go! Off to Grammy's house where they can't watch me work and beg to hold onto a pair of pants that's 2 sizes to small for them!! Aaaaaaaaaaahhhh!

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 23 2007 at 1:56am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

Rachel May wrote:
The most trouble I have is with future sizes, like those that no one has grown into yet but have been passed down from cousins. I finally decided to put them in a soft "sweater storage bag" like from the Container Store and keep them under my bed instead of near the other handmedowns. Does anyone have a better system?   

When I get bigger sized hand-me-downs I buy a Rubbermaid tub (my system is tubs), label it and I put it in the same storage space as the other clothes. I'm doing well to keep track of one system. If I started storing odd clothes around the house in different places I'd never find them or even think of them ever again. No memory anymore.

Besides, if I don't label and file the clothes right away, and the boys find them first, they'll fuss over who gets the "new" clothes.

I thought only girls were supposed to care about clothes.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 24 2007 at 1:51am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

well other than I've just switched to trying the pants together etc..

I'd just have another box and label it by size.. so my oldest is in 8's.. I have a pretty full size 10 box.. some 12's and only a few things bigger than that.. so 10's get their own box.. then the last box is labeled 12+ so that everything size 12 and over goes in that box. Then when I get enough 12's that everything else is being pushed out.. just cover or scratch out the + and have the next box 14+ etc.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version