Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Montessori globes Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 20 2007 at 12:01am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Has anyone been able to find some inexpensive globes to use? I'm thinking about 5-6 inches in diameter - I don't mind painting and sandpapering if they are cheap enough (under $10).

My son used a Neinhuis sandpaper one last week while I was at Catechesis of the Good Shepherd training - he was not rough with it in anyway, but did rub his finger across as any child would. When he put it away, he had to clean sand off the table as well. I'd rather buy cheap and make my own for all of that.

Thank you!

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 20 2007 at 5:31am | IP Logged Quote Erin

It has never occured to me to make my own globe. Have you found any instructions?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 20 2007 at 5:56am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

oooh! I'm going to be watching closely to see what you find. I wonder if Michael's has some wooden balls that would work? I'm going by sometime this week for more laminating film I'm going to look!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 20 2007 at 7:39am | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

The *wooden ball as a basis* idea sounds like it would work. You would probably be able tofind outline maps of continents that are in the proper proportion to your wooden ball. You could paint the ball blue and use the outline maps as a template for cutting the continents out of sandpaper, then glue them to the ball. The *official* Montessori globe has an axis through the poles; the axis fits into a hole in a wooden base, allowing the globe to rest at an angle when it is on the base (the same angle as the earth sits in its orbit; can't remember what angle that is ) That is probably not essential to the geography works, at least in Atrium. You would have to look at other Montessori presentations to decide whether the angle part is important or not, or how to get around it.

There is a *real* Montessori globe in our Atrium that has been rubbed and loved by lots of children without the loss of sand from the continents, so I never thought about that being a problem. My *problem* with the official globe is its price! I bought it new around 5 years ago and it cost $65!

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 20 2007 at 7:47am | IP Logged Quote Erin

hylabrook1 wrote:
My *problem* with the official globe is its price! I bought it new around 5 years ago and it cost $65!

Nancy
Alison's have the cheapest globe for only $35 plus don't forget this month's 10% off geography products

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Jordan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 20 2007 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote Jordan

Here are some instructions in one of my books for how to make your own sand globe:

"Use a small paint brush to carefully cover the land masses on one half of a regular globe with white glue. Do only one continent at a time. Have prepared: In a box, wad up paper to make a nest to set the globe on and not move. Sprinkle sand on the glue. Let it dry completely before doing another area."

This is from Gini Newcomb's Supplement for A Guide for the Montessori Classroom at New Child Montessori

Cheerios & Fingerpaints
Back to Top View Jordan's Profile Search for other posts by Jordan

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2007 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote Angel

Jordan,

I know I have seen that done somewhere, on someone's blog (I think), but can't for the life of me remember where. I was thinking of trying this if I could find a cheap globe somewhere.

--Angela
Three Plus Two
Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 20 2007 at 8:11am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Jordan wrote:
Here are some instructions in one of my books for how to make your own sand globe:

"Use a small paint brush to carefully cover the land masses on one half of a regular globe with white glue. Do only one continent at a time. Have prepared: In a box, wad up paper to make a nest to set the globe on and not move. Sprinkle sand on the glue. Let it dry completely before doing another area."

This is from Gini Newcomb's Supplement for A Guide for the Montessori Classroom at New Child Montessori

Jordan - this is a really great idea!!!! I'm going to put this on my list! Thanks because it seems so much easier than starting from scratch, and the continent shapes are already there!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

AndreaG
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 20 2007 at 8:36am | IP Logged Quote AndreaG

I think I am going to try making the globes, I'll probably try the dollar store and Walamrt back-to-school sale for cheap globes, if anyone has a better source let me know!
CatholicMommy - Wow CGS training! How is it? Are you doing it to uuse at home or for an atrium at your parish? CGS training is on my list of dream things to do. Do you think its worth it for a homeschooler?

Back to Top View AndreaG's Profile Search for other posts by AndreaG

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 20 2007 at 9:00am | IP Logged Quote Erin

Andrea
I am sure I remember reading on a 4real bloggers blog about how they made their own globe. I think for the globe shape they used a balloon and paper mache.

Can anyone remember who did a whole series on geography a few months back?

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2007 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Jordan wrote:

This is exactly what I hope to do - partly because it look like fun. I really want to start with a cheap globe so I don't have to deal with putting continents on or worrying about the tilt of the axis. For the continents globe, I figure on just painting over the entire globe the appropriate colors, covering all the political stuff. Then I would like a third one, exactly the same size and outline, with the political details.

I know a homeschooling mother once found a cheap one ($7 I think) that she donated to our parish atrium, but I no longer have her contact information and I've scoured dollar stores and other places for small and cheap globes (for once, plastic is OK!).   

I have glue and sand and paint and the brushes and a beautiful little boy who LOVES to help make everything atrium and Montessori - so spending $30+ on a globe just wouldn't fly here - he wouldn't use it!
Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 20 2007 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

AndreaG wrote:
I think I am going to try making the globes, I'll probably try the dollar store and Walamrt back-to-school sale for cheap globes, if anyone has a better source let me know!
CatholicMommy - Wow CGS training! How is it? Are you doing it to uuse at home or for an atrium at your parish? CGS training is on my list of dream things to do. Do you think its worth it for a homeschooler?

If you find some good small globes, please let me know! I just want 3 small globes (I think they are 5-6 inches diameter) - any material is fine, so I don't think I've been that picky. Perhaps I'm not asking the right employees at the right store or something?

I absolutely LOVE CGS training - I know most mothers can't do it, but if it is possible, I recommend doing it - if only for the adult faith formation! Most trainers allow children to come as needed - my group this past week included a nursing homeschooling mother who brought her 6 month old - her husband was also there with the two older children (they were in and out of the building or spending time in the level I atrium) - and I had my son with me part of the time (we were in the level I training room, so all the level I items were right there and he set right to work without any prompting, immediately after opening prayer - he knows his atrium routine!)

I had an atrium at my parish - the atrium still remains with my very competent assistant finishing up training and taking over. I also have an atrium in my home to which I invite other children (all ages).

I think the training is definitely worth it, if you can swing the logistics and find a reasonably priced and located training. There are a few trainers who will do one or two weeks at a time, so the traveling and such is all in one or two ordeals. Or there are the once a month trainings. I like it both ways for different reasons: once a month allows you to make materials in between, building on presentations with your children as you go; all or half at once is a more retreat-like atmosphere and gives you the big picture right away allowing you to make easier connections between the materials to use when working with your children.

:)

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 20 2007 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I love this idea- making your own globe. You ladies are the best
Please keep the great ideas flowing!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2007 at 5:59pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

3 Wal-marts in this area, Meijer, Target, 4 dollar stores... still no small globes. If anyone finds any (at least 2 (3 is perfect) that are 5-6 inches, less than $10 each), I would be so thrilled to pay you for them plus shipping. I figure I can buy a bigger one for the political map if needed, though I'd rather they are all the same size... I'll post this in the trading post too. I'm that desperate at this point. I just can't fathom where to find small, non-electronic globes - inexpensively.

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2007 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

CatholicMommy wrote:
3 Wal-marts in this area, Meijer, Target, 4 dollar stores... still no small globes. If anyone finds any (at least 2 (3 is perfect) that are 5-6 inches, less than $10 each), I would be so thrilled to pay you for them plus shipping. I figure I can buy a bigger one for the political map if needed, though I'd rather they are all the same size... I'll post this in the trading post too. I'm that desperate at this point. I just can't fathom where to find small, non-electronic globes - inexpensively.

Garage sales? I found one for FREE a few weeks ago...told the kids to put it in the car...got home and found out it was an older lit one! So...I am not covering this one with anything Sometimes I am in a hurry when I am at garage sales...wonder why?...and for that reason, I prefer to go alone!

I made a paper mache one with the kiddoes at the beginning of the last school year. Not perfectly round, but close! I used a printout that I would love to find again...it is one of those maps that are in ()()() pieces so that you can easily join them together in a globe....What are those kind of maps called?? Please help my mommy-brain!...anyone? bueler, bueler? It has been a long day of attic-decuttering...too much heat has melted the usable part of my brain and left me with the part that remembers useless information...

God love you,
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 25 2007 at 7:52pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Donna Marie wrote:
   Please help my mommy-brain!...anyone? bueler, bueler?

Too funny Donna Marie! Surely I'm not the only one here that instantly harkens back to Ferris Bueler's day off??!! The 80's offered us such memorable culture!

Wish I could help with the map term, but I'm watching for someone to chime in with the info, cause I'm really interested in this printout if we can find it!

It would be so much easier to cover the globe if the continents were already marked on it - I don't want to free hand Europe!

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2007 at 8:38pm | IP Logged Quote Donna Marie

Mackfam wrote:
Donna Marie wrote:
   Please help my mommy-brain!...anyone? bueler, bueler?

Too funny Donna Marie! Surely I'm not the only one here that instantly harkens back to Ferris Bueler's day off??!! The 80's offered us such memorable culture!

It would be so much easier to cover the globe if the continents were already marked on it - I don't want to free hand Europe!

LOL...when I first read this I thought you said memorable CLUTTER...haha! Maybe that is what is wrong with my brain..

It is kinda hard for me to come up with the right sizes of the continents due to the curve of the surface....I am looking for all the help I can get!

God love you!
Donna Marie from NJ
hs momma to 7dc

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2007 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Some printable globes to make

You'll have to scroll through the list, but there are several types of printable globes to cut out and glue on. I may just have to do this, but I've really been wanting just a regular cheap globe to paint - it just sounds fun! I give it one more week, then I'll have to just make them this way, and then I'll have to figure out how to display them at the proper angle and turn. Any ideas?

Here's the one I'd most likely use

ETA: I could just glue the globe at an angle onto a small round base - maybe add a pole coming out of the north and south poles to show where the axis is.

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2007 at 9:11pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I found these instructions at Crayola which got me thinking...what if you used some sort of hardening clay or playdoh (probably some recipes online) and then painted it/them.

Hmmm...have to think on that one (paper mache seems so messy to me and I have a couple of neat freak children...but I bet I could get them to form some good size clay balls and then paint them!)

I can't wait to see everyone's finished products!!!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2007 at 9:22pm | IP Logged Quote CatholicMommy

Globes for Kids

I was just not going to give up! I found something that will do: I'll be getting the bank one from here - three of them actually. One to sandpaper, one to paint, the last to leave alone. Either I'll figure out how to fill in the hole for the bank or I'll leave it alone (put foreign coins into it?)

WHEW!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version