Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Any Christian Light users? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 24 2011 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

A friend of mine just gave a big plug for Christian Light at a little curriculum share we had.

Anyone else use it? Like it? Not like it?

I am specifically looking at the Reading and Language arts books for grades 2, 4, 6 and 7. I like the spiral, which I haven't felt is very strong in CHC, which we have been using, LOG. I like that I saw literary questions too, setting, plot, etc, all in one book.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: May 24 2011 at 10:57am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I know nothing about Christian Light so I googled and ran across some posts at Well Trained Mind. Sounds like the history stuff needs pre-reading/editing, but maybe not the language arts. The thread also mentions other lang. arts options. Note for Catholics using CLE

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 24 2011 at 11:40am | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

I have heard that there is a really anti Catholic quote in the 3rd grade reading program. It actually says something like Catholics don't love people or something. I can't remember the exact quote. Someone posted something on the WTM forums awhile ago. I will try and find a link later, but I am super busy right now. There is some anti-Catholic stuff in there so if you use it, I would just be careful and preread things.

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 24 2011 at 9:38pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Thanks for the link Janette.

I showed it to my friend, the one who had made the plug for it.

Well, she is not one to take anything from anyone about anything.

SO, she sent CLE an amazing email this afternoon, citing the link to the quotes on the WTM thread.

And even more amazing, she has already gotten a response. She gave me permission to reprint it here. My friend (and another friend) are planning a small road trip to visit them in July. I might just come along. I'd like to really get my hands on the books and read through them before I purchase. And being with this friend, she won't be shy about letting them know we are Catholic and that they'll need to answer for their comments.

Here is what they sent her:

"Thank you for writing us. I followed the link and read the post. I showed it to a couple of our curriculum developers. They informed me that as we revise our curriculum we are looking at this particular problem. In our revision we will make Social Studies a more general history course. But sadly these revisions of Social Studies textbooks are slow in coming."

and

"We would still be glad to have you come and visit our facilities. We do not hold any ill feelings toward the Catholic Church what it is today nor of what it was in history and I apologize that the curriculum has phrases that leave that connotation."

Plus it was signed by an actual person, title and all! Not often you get an official apology.

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: May 25 2011 at 10:19pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Well I'm glad that you asked and that your friend contacted them. I do hope that the text will be edited, but more so that there can be greater understanding and efforts towards unity. I'm impressed that they responded so quickly and am glad that you have the opportunity to preview in person.   

mamalove
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: May 25 2011 at 10:47pm | IP Logged Quote mamalove

CLE is totally anabaptist I believe..at least many of my non amish anabaptist-ish homeschooling neighbors use them

I have their automotive course for my junior high son, it is totally neutral
Back to Top View mamalove's Profile Search for other posts by mamalove

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 26 2011 at 7:19am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

mamalove wrote:
CLE is totally anabaptist I believe..at least many of my non amish anabaptist-ish homeschooling neighbors use them

I'd actually like to see an automotive course with an anti-Catholic bias. I think that would be extraordinarily entertaining to read

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 26 2011 at 1:17pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

CrunchyMom wrote:
mamalove wrote:

I'd actually like to see an automotive course with an anti-Catholic bias. I think that would be extraordinarily entertaining to read

Probably something about the obvious dangers of hanging rosaries from rear-view mirrors and sticking holy cards in the dash...

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2011 at 11:51am | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

I have used the grade 2 LA and reading. There is nothing anti-Catholic. The reading program is highly slanted toward a different worldview, but not negative per say. Just very different from what most of us are used to.

Now, a disclaimer, this IS coming from a Catholic revert, and a recent one. I have had no issues with it, I normally shy away from highly non-Catholic writings, even when i was non practicing, it was very uncomfortable.

I have the grade 6 LA here, as well. We haven't gotten into it yet. But from what I've read, there's nothing negative in it either.
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version