Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Projects for The New Way Things Work Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 18 2012 at 3:56pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

For Science this year I am planning to have my 3rd and 6th graders work together using the book The New Way things Work. We are happy that a good friend to both of my boys will be joining us (and the possiblity of another boy as well). I am trying to think of some projects they can work on as a hands on component to this book. I have purchased the K'Nex simple machines kits (there are three of them) and we have a Snap Circuits set. Any other thoughts or ideas?

I'm thinking of setting this up one of two ways. Either the kids read the book at home and then we meet here just for the projects, or we meet here, read and discuss (maybe do some sketching in notebooks) and then the following week we do a project. I would appreciate any thoughts you might have on that as well.

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 18 2012 at 5:10pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

I have this book and really would like to figure out how to use it with projects. I am not creative and also needs someone else's lesson plans. Of course, I always tweak them. I will be watching this post.

Back to Top View pumpkinmom's Profile Search for other posts by pumpkinmom

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2012 at 4:49am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

Cassie,
I know I'm the one that asked the original question but I wanted to say if you haven't checked out these kits from K'Nex, you really should. I purchased the first three listed at the link. I've been wanting them for years and finally decided this study warranted the cost. The kids haven't worked with them yet but from what I see in the package, they are going to be a great addition to our science this year. The real beauty of it is that I don't even have to be creative! It's all there - directions, explanations, everything. There's even a Teacher's Manual DVD which I haven't looked at yet.
These kits go right along with the first chapters in the New Way Things Work about simple machines. I just wish I could find something equally as good for the remaining chapters!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2012 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

Thanks Becky! My boys would love this. I am thinking Christmas gifts to help cover the cost.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: July 19 2012 at 9:48am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Gals,
I so wish I had more time to chime in - I can't tell you what a fun science course this makes! I wanted to drop in a link to a course we enjoyed three years ago (with a 4th grader) with just this theme! The Way Things Work: Boy Meets Machine. We had SOOOO much fun with that science course!

I wish I had time to join you for more brainstorming....but I'm thinking of the fun you're going to have with your years following The Way Things Work!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2012 at 10:47am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Oooh, very fun! We have that book, but I hadn't thought about it for this year's science. Could be a great fit for my rising 4th grader. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sally

AmyRobynne
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: July 19 2012 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote AmyRobynne

I just picked up The Way Things Work at a mailbox-lending-library I found in town. It's one where you take a book, leave another one, etc.

My kids (8 and 6) have been reading it constantly over the past two days and just asked if they could use it for homeschooling. Since I just bought a bunch of nature study materials, we probably won't go that route this year, but I'm glad to hear there are things set up to use it in the future!
Back to Top View AmyRobynne's Profile Search for other posts by AmyRobynne Visit AmyRobynne's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 19 2012 at 3:18pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I keep hoping to find an inexpensive copy of The NEW Way Things Work. If anyone has both versions, how different are the two?

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2012 at 3:31pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

Jenn, I don't know how they compare, but I am using the New Way Things Work for my 6th grader this year. This version was recommended to me and looks great from my cursory reading.

This book is really quite big, I was surprised when I got it. It looks like they have quite a few used ones listed on Amazon. I hope you can find a great deal on one, I don't think you will be disappointed!

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2012 at 3:52pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

Jenn,

I'm fairly certain that the updated book includes a few chapters about computers. Everything else looked the same. I remember thinking that I would be happy using either book.

Hope that helps.

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2012 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

I bought a new one at Amazon a couple of months ago and my Dc found a copy of the old version at my parents house recently. I don't remember having it as a kid, so I guess it was my brother's. I haven't look at it to see the difference. But, it is a nice big book and worth every penny I spent on it. Of course I wouldn't have bought it if I new I had the old one!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 20 2012 at 6:45am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I wanted to mention that Rainbow Resources has these kits for $35.95 right now, with free shipping
for orders over $50

I am very excited to see this thread. I have been praying about what to do for ds for science this year. I looked over Behold and See 4 for him, and while I really like the content, there just are not enough hands on opportunities for him there.

This will be just the thing!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 20 2012 at 7:08am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Also wanted to add that National Geographic makes some nice science kits.
We have the solar power car kit, plus a kit for making batteries out of household things like ketchup.

I have seen these kits at both Target and Michaels. At Michaels you can use your coupons

The National Geo Woolly Mammoth kit has been a favorite here for YEARS

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 20 2012 at 9:45am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Serially posting here.... but I discovered my library has the entire dvd set of The Way Things Work. I think there are 13, broken down into 15 minute segments. I picked up the one on sinking today... just to get a feel for how they are.

ShannonJ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 20 2012 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote ShannonJ

I had no idea there was a dvd series out there. Checked and our library actually carries these!

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 20 2012 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

OK- I found out there are 26 dvds in the series.

I just watched the one about sinking with my dc. They liked it and are watching it again. It is animated and presents the information in a very kid-friendly way. My kids especially liked seeing the mammoths helping out.

On the dvd menu there is a section for questions/follow up activities. This dvd had three questions for discussion and I think some websites to look at.

BUT- my big find was that at Library Video Company there are teacher's guides available for each dvd.

This guide gives suggestions for experiments as well as books, It reviews vocabulary terms and tells you what to discuss before viewing the dvd.
It also gives suggested websites for further study.

I believe you could use this as a science program without even owning the book... just view the dvds and go from there.

pumpkinmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2012 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote pumpkinmom

Surprisingly, my library has the DVDs too! We are going to put the K'nex set on our boys Christmas list and I hope to start this unit in January. I think they will love this!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2012 at 5:55am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Life of Fred just came out with an Elementary Physics book meant to be studied before Algebra. It might be a fun to coordinate one's math for the year with this study.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

SallyT
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2012 at 6:36am | IP Logged Quote SallyT

Ooooohhhhhh . . . . my 10yo LOVES Fred, AND he's doing The Way Things Work for science (thank you, Becky, for this thread!). I may have to check this out, just as a fun read-alongside thing!

Sally

(Nice to write about something my 10yo loves for a change. He does like TWTW -- I think this is going to be a hit -- and Fred is his favorite thing we do all day. We're just reading through the LOF elementary series in our Morning Basket time, and doing the math at the end of the chapters at oral/mental math. But I think he'd really like to find his very own Fred in his book box)

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 26 2012 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Not really a project, but I thought that this video done by an astronaut on the space station was neat. He shows his yo-yo tricks and then gives a little physics lesson.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version