Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: OOP history books - recommended authors? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 04 2012 at 3:54am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

We have here at 4 Real a thread that has become a catch-all for listing older science authors - great authors who really brought the science narrative to life. These are often out of print and authors who we might not be familiar with. I've been introduced to some real treasures through that thread. I know over the years that there are other OOP books and authors that have come up in other subjects - history and historical fiction are one area that I'm really interested in as well and we have lots of recommendations, but they aren't together in one place. I love stumbling on a new find. So am starting a similar thread for OOP and older authors for history and geography/culture. There are some who may have a book or two still in print but a large number are no longer in print and people are unfamiliar with the bulk of the works available.

A recent find for me is Carl and Elizabeth Carmer. He's from Alabama - you're probably familiar with him, Jen. They have a series of American folktale books. Also cover a lot of historic time periods in historic fiction selections. Just requested the one on Battle of Ft. McHenry as it is the bicentennial of the War of 1812 this year. It looks really good.

Other favorites of mine are:
Stephen Meader
Leo Politi (picture books)
Ann Nolan Clark
Lois Lenski

Can't wait to see everyone's recommendations all together here as we find them and remember ones we have suggested before but scattered about the boards.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 18 2012 at 10:09pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Getting back to this. I envision the thread to be a helpful clearinghouse for listing authors to keep an eye open for since they may be overlooked or hard to find.

It agree with this quote form Jenn in another thread.
JennGM wrote:
One of the best things I've drawn from this forum is the discussion of books and authors. The mention of different ones, in and out of print has really opened my eyes to books I might have passed up at some time.

So add authors with information as you think of it or run across them. I would be great to have these names all in one place. I'll work on transferring some from past threads.

Stephen Meader - Stephen W. Meader (May 2, 1892 – July 18, 1977) was the author of 40+ novels for young readers. His stories were often about young men caught up in adventures during different periods in American history.

Old 4 Real thread: Stephen Meader books - Jenn made a list in this thread of the titles by time period for easy reference for history study.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:36pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

I really think this is such a great idea Mary.

We've enjoyed a few of Enid La Monte Meadowcroft books the last few years: The Gift of the River, The Story of Andrew Jackson, We Were There at the Opening of the Erie Canal, China's Story. Her name is on my radar.

Enid La Monte Meadowcroft(a list of some of her books.)

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2012 at 11:53pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

O.K. so I'm only thinking of this author because her Iliad and Odyssey books were on our reading list this year. But I've had a request to look for more titles by her .

Barbara Leonie Picard

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

ShannonJ
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 19 2012 at 7:46am | IP Logged Quote ShannonJ

Grace&Chaos wrote:

We've enjoyed a few of Enid La Monte Meadowcroft books the last few years: The Gift of the River, The Story of Andrew Jackson, We Were There at the Opening of the Erie Canal, China's Story. Her name is on my radar.

Jenny, I must say that we very much enjoyed Ms. Meadowcroft's The Gift of the River this year after you recommended it. My daughter requested that I check to see if she had any other books on Ancient Egypt. We were able to get a copy of Scarab for Luck, which she thoroughly enjoyed as well and had a difficult time sticking to the schedule and not going ahead. She is most definitely on our radar now as well.

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 19 2012 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

ShannonJ wrote:
Grace&Chaos wrote:

Jenny, I must say that we very much enjoyed Ms. Meadowcroft's The Gift of the River this year after you recommended it. My daughter requested that I check to see if she had any other books on Ancient Egypt. We were able to get a copy of Scarab for Luck, which she thoroughly enjoyed as well and had a difficult time sticking to the schedule and not going ahead. She is most definitely on our radar now as well.

Shannon, I'm so glad you enjoyed it

Grace in Loving Chaos

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version