Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Drawn to Nature Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: April 20 2012 at 6:31am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Drawn to Nature is a nature journal by Clare Walker Leslie.

I thought it was fun to compare a modern nature journal to the older one we have by Edith Holden ( Edwardian).

And, best of all, if your library doesn't have it, it is on sale right now for $6 from Amazon. I used my swag bucks to get a copy for $1

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2012 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Melinda, I'm glad you linked this! I really didn't think I needed another nature journal book, but as I looked through the pictures I suddenly realized that her abstract way of painting on many of the pages might make nature journaling accessible to my ds who has serious dysgraphia. I love her use of big swaths of color. I thought, "He can DO this!".   

Yesterday we were drawing in our journals for the first time in a long time and he just wasn't participating, I was feeling discouraged and guilty and really frustrated. When I showed him some of these pages, he was very intrigued!   I know he wants to draw with us, but he doesn't want to "fail". This book will give him a model of a kind of nature drawing, some of which that he can actually do himself.

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: April 20 2012 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

I'm so glad, Caroline. The book intrigued me as well... I think my dc will also
be much more interested in their journals, seeing that there are many different ways to "capture" nature on paper.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2012 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

This is a Leslie book I don't have, but a friend of mine just picked it up at a used book sale. She brought it to our CM meeting last week and I had a chance to thumb through it. My immediate thought was very similar to Caroline's first impressions: the use of color, abstract designs and just a very pop up/interesting to look at entries. I really like to see her use buildings and structure in some of them. It gives that modern touch to nature study and not the idea that this is something an outdated task.

I had not thought of actually comparing an older nature journal with a modern one. What a great idea Melinda. The kids have been enjoying The Nest: An Artist Sketchbook by Maryjo Koch. While it is just sketches (just beautiful) of eggs and nests I can see that it has motivated them.

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: April 20 2012 at 2:01pm | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

Looks great. I've had her Keeping a Nature Journal for a while and am still trying to get through it. The pictures are inspiring. Does anyone have this one? My library doesn't have Drawn to nature but does have Nature all Year Long Looks like she also wrote a nature workbook, The Nature Connection that has some very good reviews I'll try to peruse later.

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

AmandaV
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2012 at 7:45am | IP Logged Quote AmandaV

How would you all compare Drawn to Nature to Leslie's other nature journal book, Keeping a Nature Journal?

I have the second one already but wonder if the first adds something. It looks nice.

wife since 6/03, Mom to son 7/04, daughter 2/06, twin sons 6/08 and son 7/11, son 1/2014
Back to Top View AmandaV's Profile Search for other posts by AmandaV

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 08 2012 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

We just picked up from a used book sale Adventures in the Wild: The Worlds of Ernest Thompson Seton. Though not a journal, I think that his drawings of animals might inspire those of the more masculine persuasion a bit more than Edith Holden. There are some black and white sketches as well as full color (watercolor? I can't recall) and some rather gruesome depictions that sort of illustrate that subject matter can be fascinating if not pretty.

Apparently, ETS's artistic strength is in understanding the skeletal structures of all the animals he drew, so while his sketches sometimes seen simple, they are always very accurate. This Dover book Art Anatomy of Animals looks interesting as well.

The edition I have is not pictured at Amazon, but it looks to be the sort of book you could find easily at the library or through interlibrary loan.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

mommy4ever
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 08 2012 at 9:11am | IP Logged Quote mommy4ever

I have never seen a nature journal....

How do you incorporate it into your homeschool? It's pretty inspiring to look at. I like art journalling, but with the age group I have, I find they don't have much to draw in general in terms of personal life, we all tend to be private people..lol

But nature...that is peaking my interest.

2 homeschooled(one considering art school!)
ardently praying for a new addition to our family.
Back to Top View mommy4ever's Profile Search for other posts by mommy4ever

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version