Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Fabulous Videos on CM Education Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Ambleside Ambleside Schools International and the Ambleside Method of Education

I'm only through the Introduction, but wow, such great summary of Charlotte Mason's philosophy to apply in my own home.

***** LINKING TO THE FOLLOW UP THREADS DISCUSSING THE INDIVIDUAL VIDEO SECTIONS *****

Introduction
Chapters 1 - 3
Chapters 4 - 6
Chapters 7 - 9
Chapters 10 - 12
Chapters 13 - 15
Chapters 16 - 18

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 8:37am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Starting a monologue, but wow! This is like getting a free homeschool conference! What a shot in the arm!

Currently I'm taking formation classes in the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS). I'm finishing auditing for the second time Level I, and currently in the middle of Level II. The course is held at a parish that has a full-time Montessori parish school, which means a full-time atrium. It is very unique because it is a parochial school, but yet Montessori.

Because of the atmosphere and the basis of the CGS being in Montessori, I am also immersed in much of Montessori philosophy while taking these formation courses.

While I know there are differences, I am encouraged by the similarities. It speaks of Universal Truths that Charlotte Mason espoused to find such similarities in philosophy in Maria Montessori. I'm listening to these videos (I am not watching but listening, because it's mainly talking) and nodding my head in agreement. It echoes what I've read and do in my home following Charlotte Mason, but it also echoes what I am seeing and learning in the Montessori school and the CGS atrium.

Science of relations, I guess.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Wow! These are terrific! It really is like getting to go to a conference.

It is mostly talking, but you should watch some, especially the one on aesthetics. I am enjoying the images of the classroom

Thanks so much for posting these. We have a stomach bug making a visit here, and it's the worst one we've had in probably 5 years. I succumbed last night, so this is perfect for me today as I take it easy.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Amber-v
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 9:32am | IP Logged Quote Amber-v

Wow, thanks for posting this! I've been knitting and listening to things in the evenings after the kids are in bed recently and I had been wondering if there was something along these lines available out there. I wasn't sure how to go about finding it!

Thanks again,
Amber
Back to Top View Amber-v's Profile Search for other posts by Amber-v Visit Amber-v's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 9:34am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Oh, and I think they would be ideal for watching with dh. It seems that the husband often has the harder time letting go of more mainstream educational methods because he isn't immersed in the research like the mom. The main speaker is a man and would be appealing to more masculine sensibilities than other media, IMO.

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 9:50am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:
Oh, and I think they would be ideal for watching with dh. It seems that the husband often has the harder time letting go of more mainstream educational methods because he isn't immersed in the research like the mom. The main speaker is a man and would be appealing to more masculine sensibilities than other media, IMO.

I agree!!!! I'll have to try and convince dh....

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 10:31am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

These are great!!! I'm bookmarking the website!! Thanks Jenn

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

Thanks for posting these! They are great!

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 12:11pm | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Thanks Jenn. They look like they'll be a good mid-February Funk pump up!

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 12:17pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I've gotten through Masterly Activity, and this aspect I've missed or never thought about. I've mostly considered a child's masterly inactivity.

But I haven't thought about how my mere presence without words or influence are a type of masterly inactivity.

What say you? Do you agree with this video?

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 1:01pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:
I've gotten through Masterly Activity, and this aspect I've missed or never thought about. I've mostly considered a child's masterly inactivity.

But I haven't thought about how my mere presence without words or influence are a type of masterly inactivity.

I wasn't sure about this, either. My gut reaction was to disagree and maintain that kids actually need time on their own to figure out how to work things out. But, I can see how I would be less inclined toward that in a classroom setting.

I do know that my mere presence DOES have an influence on behavior, but I do think that it can sometimes stifle creativity. I know I liked doing things privately, and my boys will often have a lot of fun doing things all on their own to show me when they are done.

kristinannie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote kristinannie

JennGM wrote:

I have never read CM to say this, but it is food for thought. I do give my kids free time without me around (although I am always in the next room). I do agree that most problems arise during this time. I think it is a smart way to handle a school situation, but not as necessary at home.

As to masterly inactivity, I had always thought that these were the types of activities for the kids to do in their free time. I never thought as much about my non-verbal cues making such a huge difference. I am going to try this. I tend to resort to screaming more than I like to admit.      The anxiety/authoritarian discussion was an eye-opener to me.

The aesthetic discussion was wonderful. This is what I am trying to achieve in my house. Although I can't afford beautiful furniture.   

Katherine Elizabeth 8 months
Back to Top View kristinannie's Profile Search for other posts by kristinannie

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 4:01pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I don't find the idea of presence on the playground very radical. I taught in a school that was following Don Bosco's philosophy and that was a key point -- the teacher remains with the children and actually engages them in activity. I think it's more than just "Playground duty" to make sure everyone is okay and/or being "Big Brother" watching at all times.

My boys enjoy when I'm outside with them, even if I'm just gardening while they are playing. It doesn't hinder their play, but actually makes them play more intensely and get along better.

I also think there are slightly different dynamics in a school setting than a home setting.

I totally agree about the aesthetic discussion. For years I've seen and have been inspired by the ordered and beautiful and simple Montessori classrooms. I didn't have a visual for CM classroom (except JenMack's ) until now. Not surprisingly, at least for me, the aesthetic goals are very similar in Montessori and CM. Montessori does have the manipulatives, but the ideas of beautiful furniture, minimal distractions, nothing that brings the child down, beautiful art...and ORDER.

So much points back at the teacher, doesn't it?

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 4:21pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

JennGM wrote:

Yes, or the parent. He said at some point how children abhor hypocrisy, and it just struck me again at the enormity in modeling all the habits I desire for my children.

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

JennGM wrote:
I totally agree about the aesthetic discussion. For years I've seen and have been inspired by the ordered and beautiful and simple Montessori classrooms. I didn't have a visual for CM classroom (except JenMack's ) until now. Not surprisingly, at least for me, the aesthetic goals are very similar in Montessori and CM. Montessori does have the manipulatives, but the ideas of beautiful furniture, minimal distractions, nothing that brings the child down, beautiful art...and ORDER.

We joke and say that our house is a library, although, it looks like a home. I've tried very hard to let our living spaces feel livable but yet fosters warmth to daily learning. I could absolutely just shop around at the local education store, but I resist because I'd rather the kids have natural beautiful things that still lend themselves as educational and practical. Thus, my decorating or what I choose to display usually has really been thought through

BTW, I'm finding myself very attracted to Montessorri lately. When I etsy shop, that's what I've been putting on the search engine

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 4:22pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I must say that as much as I love homeschooling, seeing those videos made me want to send my children to their schools!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 4:25pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

CrunchyMom wrote:
I must say that as much as I love homeschooling, seeing those videos made me want to send my children to their schools!

Me, too. I even saw that there is one very nearby. The price tag deterred further thoughts, though.

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 4:43pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

JennGM wrote:
CrunchyMom wrote:

Me, too. I even saw that there is one very nearby. The price tag deterred further thoughts, though.

I let my oldest dd see the classrooms and her first comment was: "Wow, not alot kids in one room. It must be a private school"

Grace in Loving Chaos

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 13 2012 at 4:57pm | IP Logged Quote DominaCaeli

So excited to take a look at these, though I'll have to wait until tonight. Did you see that they also have training for homeschool parents? The one they had this last weekend in VA looks really interesting.

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 14 2012 at 6:08am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

I just watched video 6 about atmosphere. Sigh. After teaching in schools for 10 years and mostly having "kiddie art" on my walls there, I wish I would have seen this and read about CM a lot sooner. If I ever went back to classroom teaching it would certainly look a lot different.
Now I'm looking at my home and trying to decide how I can make it more aesthetic for learning! Alot of that "kiddie art" transferred to my home when we started homeschooling. We have a school room in our basement that has lots of cutesy borders and things hanging up. But, the kids really don't like to be down there. They prefer learning in our sunroom so that is where we've been lately. The view of the forest and river and the natural light win out over neon and primary colored stuff on the walls!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version