Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Boys Socks Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 18 2011 at 8:30am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

JennGM wrote:
The winter edition of mater et magistra had the theme of boys. It included the introduction to Meg Meeker's book Boys Should be Boys which is really good. There was a phrase that keeps resonating with me:

Meg Meeker wrote:
Because rambunctious, healthy, young boys like testing the limits of their physical and mental powers...

And to me, it's great when I see holes in jeans and socks when they appear for these reasons. Not to sound sappy, but I want my boys to be boys!

That edition came at a perfect time for me. As for the holes, I couldn't agree more. Everytime I see one I can't help but think of how much time they spend outside "exploring" and how many critters I've been introduced to as a result or the critters homes that have been built by them. Our very sturdy Lakeshore Learning magnifying glasses look like something that have been buried for years

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 18 2011 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Grace&Chaos wrote:
JennGM wrote:
The winter edition of mater et magistra had the theme of boys. It included the introduction to Meg Meeker's book Boys Should be Boys which is really good. There was a phrase that keeps resonating with me:

Meg Meeker wrote:
Because rambunctious, healthy, young boys like testing the limits of their physical and mental powers...

And to me, it's great when I see holes in jeans and socks when they appear for these reasons. Not to sound sappy, but I want my boys to be boys!

That edition came at a perfect time for me. As for the holes, I couldn't agree more. Everytime I see one I can't help but think of how much time they spend outside "exploring" and how many critters I've been introduced to as a result or the critters homes that have been built by them. Our very sturdy Lakeshore Learning magnifying glasses look like something that have been buried for years

I can't say I rejoice to see holes in boys clothing ...but I do accept that it is generally a result of their passionate, imaginative, deeply-in-the-moment play.

I am probably the only person that didn't have a copy of Dr. Meg Meeker's book, Boys Should Be Boys though it had long been on my wishlist. After the m & m article I was so inspired to just finally get the book. I'm halfway through, and of course really enjoying it! It resonates with so much of what I see in my boys - they are so very different from my girls. And truthfully, I am absolutely smitten with the differences and so enjoy sitting back and watching the natural differences, gifts and tendencies in both boys and girls. Take socks, for instance....my older daughter chooses a sock based on activity, and my 3 yo (for cryin' out loud!!) is beside herself with PINK socks and adamantly insists on them to match PINK dresses. BOYS??? They choose the sock that is closest to their hand...that could be a dirty sock from the floor...or whatever they reach first in the dresser.

Since I may not be the only one whom mater et magistra inspired to read Dr. Meeker's book, I was wondering if any of you would like to discuss the book, a chapter at a time, in Book Club? Let me know if you would and I'll set it up so others can have time to join in and grab this great book for boys!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2011 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

Jen, you've just made me move the book from my summer reading list to right away .   

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2011 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote Angel

We buy Hanes socks mostly. They are all white sports socks, but they have different color writing on the bottom of the sock. So, for instance, my twins wear the white Hanes socks with the green writing and my 7 yo wears the white socks with the blue writing. The key in our house is to have all socks be able to match something. So not one package of ankle socks and one package of tube socks. Because then you'll end up with one ankle sock and one tube sock when you want to get out of the house. (And you might suggest the boys wear their boots at that point because *no one will ever know*.)

Just wait until your boys become teenagers and they are suddenly the same size as your husband! That adds a whole 'nother level of sorting!!

We like Hanes because we are a sensory integration syndrome family and none of us can bear stepping on sock seams. Ugh!!!! Hanes doesn't have that problem.

They will wear holes, though. (Especially if say they run outside with only their socks on and you don't discover this until after they get down out of the tree or out of the mudhole. Sigh.)

I have been disappointed with fabrics in general lately. My little boys have worn holes through every single pair of pants I bought last spring, even the double-kneeded Lands End jeans which are usually pretty good. I'm not likely to stop my boys from climbing trees or running around outside, but there's nothing to hand down!

I will have to check out the Boys Will Be Boys book. Earlier this year I read Raising Real Men, which was very good, but also from a strong Evangelical Protestant perspective.

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 18 2011 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Mackfam wrote:
Since I may not be the only one whom mater et magistra inspired to read Dr. Meeker's book, I was wondering if any of you would like to discuss the book, a chapter at a time, in Book Club? Let me know if you would and I'll set it up so others can have time to join in and grab this great book for boys!

I'll be glad to reread it.

My husband just saw her in an interview on EWTN with her latest book The 10 Habits of Happy Mothers: Reclaiming Our Passion, Purpose, and Sanity

I can't wait to read it!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2011 at 9:43am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

JennGM wrote:

Meg Meeker wrote:

Well then...I've more than met that goal!

I think it was here that someone advised me to only think of boy's socks as disposable items. The pursuit of the perfect sock is a futile mission. We just constantly gain new rags.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 18 2011 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Maryan wrote:
I think it was here that someone advised me to only think of boy's socks as disposable items.

I almost mentioned that...because I remembered it from YOUR thread on socks! But, I couldn't find it to link.

I'll set up a thread introducing Boys Should Be Boys later today in Book Club for those interested in joining in that discussion. Maybe we can start the discussion in a week or so to give people time to find the book and start reading.

Edited to correct the title of Dr. Meeker's book

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: March 18 2011 at 9:53am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Mackfam wrote:
I'll set up a thread introducing Boys Will Be Boys later today in Book Club for those interested in joining in that discussion.

I just looked on Amazon to find this book to join in, then had to come back to check the title...Boys SHOULD be Boys as mentioned earlier in the thread. The other title brings up a book about the "party nights" of the Dallas Cowboys and then the titles go downhill from there...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 18 2011 at 10:07am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

OH.MY.STARS!!!!!!

Thank you for catching that, Mary!!! Yikes!!!! Off to clean up my mess!

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 18 2011 at 10:36am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Margot was kind enough to resend my copy since it came out as we were moving, and I forgot to update my address in time, and it wasn't forwarded With our fourth boy born this month, I knew I NEEDED that issue

I only just managed to have it in the same place I was stranded with my nursling on Monday, and while I can't recall which sage-like mom of boys said it, the quote that has stuck with me regarding the behavior and antics of boys was

Quote:
Don't take it personally, and by "it" I mean everything.

It has been my mantra this week!

So, as I do the laundry, attempt to find two socks that fit each boy so they can go outside in this lovely weather, and examine the spider bites on my eldest's knee THROUGH the gaping hole in his blue jeans, I have been chanting "it isn't personal, it isn't personal..."

Of course, the same is true when I put the slipcover for the couch to soak in oxyclean for the second time in the past month, vacuum the clumps of mud from the foyer, etc...

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2011 at 11:48am | IP Logged Quote Angel

CrunchyMom wrote:
the couch to soak in oxyclean for the second time in the past month

Isn't oxyclean the most amazing stuff in the universe??? I just used it last week to rescue our couch and one of my 5 yo's mattresses from a particularly messy stomach virus. Whoever invented Oxyclean is now officially my hero.

Off to look for the boys book so I can join in, too...

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 18 2011 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Angel wrote:
Isn't oxyclean the most amazing stuff in the universe???

No mother of boys should be without it

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2011 at 1:18pm | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

Here's my take on boys' socks:

1. I agree...they are disposable items! Especially the socks that go to Boy Scout camp every summer !

2. I buy CHEAP socks (read that, Walmart).

3. Fortunately for me, all my three littler boys wear the same size, more or less.   

4. When a sock gets a hole, I toss it, put the mate in my "missing a mate" sock basket and wait. Soon, there will be another pair that has one sock beyond the pale...then I have two! Eureka! (Greek sock talk )

5. Sometimes we make sock puppets....

6. I don't know if your boys do this, but mine are constantly taking of their socks whenever we come inside and take off our shoes. So I have (attempted) to train them to put their socks in their shoes until the end of the day, instead of using a whole new pair of socks each time they go outside. Varying success with this!

Mackfam wrote:
I was wondering if any of you would like to discuss the book, a chapter at a time, in Book Club? Let me know if you would and I'll set it up so others can have time to join in and grab this great book for boys!

I'm in! Off to order my copy now (no, Jennifer, you aren't the ONLY one without a copy of this book...and I've had 3 other boys, too! You would think I'd have figured it all out by now, but no! )

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: March 18 2011 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

stellamaris wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
I was wondering if any of you would like to discuss the book, a chapter at a time, in Book Club? Let me know if you would and I'll set it up so others can have time to join in and grab this great book for boys!

I'm in! Off to order my copy now (no, Jennifer, you aren't the ONLY one without a copy of this book...and I've had 3 other boys, too! You would think I'd have figured it all out by now, but no! )

GREAT!!! Book discussion invitation is posted here! And...since most people need time to get the book and start reading, I thought it might be fun to discuss the current issue of mater et magistra (theme of BOYS) on the introductory thread while we wait! All are invited - whether you have a copy of the magazine or not!! Do join us there!

Back to the regularly scheduled program of boys and their socks...

Once they come out of that pristine plastic package will they ever find their mate again?
Do holes simply add ventilation for stinky toes?
Is matching really that important after all?
How many long-lost-mismatched pairs do you have living under your boys' bed?

Find out next week on....AS MOM'S WASHER CHURNS

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 18 2011 at 1:32pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Stellamaris wrote:
3. Fortunately for me, all my three littler boys wear the same size, more or less.

And so the socks will end up in the same person's drawer leading to tweedle beatle battles over whose socks they really are

Angel wrote:
Just wait until your boys become teenagers and they are suddenly the same size as your husband! That adds a whole 'nother level of sorting!!

Why wait.. my oldest son has been in the same size sock for 2 years now and he's not yet 13. not the same shoe size but since socks cover such a range.. yep.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 18 2011 at 1:43pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Mackfam wrote:

Back to the regularly scheduled program of boys and their socks...

Once they come out of that pristine plastic package will they ever find their mate again?
Is matching really that important after all?
How many long-lost-mismatched pairs do you have living under your boys' bed?

ROFL

And, no, we've decided matching socks are overrated. We do attempt for both socks to be the same color, but as long as both socks are white, navy, black, whatever, we consider it an accomplishment

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2011 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Oh, I love Jen's new program, "As Mom's Washer Churns"!!! That was hilarious, Jen...I really needed a good laugh!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: March 18 2011 at 2:55pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Thanks for the chuckle, Jen!!!

While on the subject of boys socks, dh and I can't seem to figure out the sizing. After the early years with the ages posted, we've both been unsuccessful in picking the right size for our sons. It seems we have to go down some sizes, or look at the package to get a right fit. If we follow what it says by shoe size, we get it way wrong. Dh and I hate floppy socks.

Anyone else have this problem? We recently bought new ones and had to go through this all over again. You would think two intelligent adults could figure this out!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

mamaslearning
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2011 at 3:06pm | IP Logged Quote mamaslearning

Gold Toe socks - they have different number of stripes for the sizes. My toddle is one stripe on the toe, and my other son is 2 stripes. Makes laundry so much easier and they wear really well.

(I browsed the replies, but not too indepth. Sorry if this is a repeat).

Back to Top View mamaslearning's Profile Search for other posts by mamaslearning

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 18 2011 at 4:32pm | IP Logged Quote Grace&Chaos

We really need to invest in Oxyclean stock !!

Mackfam wrote:

This was completely new to me and almost embarrasing, I'm so glad to know it's a boy thing and not just in my home

Grace in Loving Chaos

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version