Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Blog Q&A: moving from Blogger to Typepad Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: March 26 2006 at 8:04am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

When I decided to begin my blog, I did not know much about the different places to host one. I chose Blogger but I now feel it is so limited as to what I can do in the sidebars. I would like to post reading lists with photos of the books and quotes of the day and such but it is so difficult for me to figure out how to do it. Maybe I am just a nitwit . "Blogger Help" is not much help to me.

Three questions,

Do any of you using Blogger know how to do the above?

Is is possible to switchfrom Blogger to Typepad (where so many of you have lovely blogs) without losing my entire blog and having to start again?

Thanks for the help!
God Bless,   
Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2006 at 8:33am | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Oh Rebecca, you'll LOVE typepad!! My answer to your question is YES and then to ASK LISSA She's the answer queen for me !! Goodluck!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2006 at 9:31am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Thanks Meredith! Typepad looks lovely and, I hope, easier to use!

I will ask Lissa !

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2006 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Rebecca, Typepad does have an import capability. I believe you can import your entire blogger blog, but let me double check to be sure. Running to Mass now (OK, waddling is more like it, LOL), but I'll get back to you this afternoon.

FYI, Typepad (unlike Blogger) is a paid blog host--the rates are reasonable and, for my purposes, well worth the many benefits Typepad has to offer. (Typelists, easy templates, etc.)

If you'd prefer a free blog host, you could check out the new homeschooljournal blogs offered by Ron & Andrea of atypicalhomesschool.net. I know them via email and they are lovely people, and they've just started a new free hosting service for homeschoolers. Who was it who just switched over to them from Homeschool Blogger? Theresa? I'm fuzzy brained & in a rush!

If you do go w/ typepad, I'll be happy to help any way I can!

Lissa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2006 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote Lissa

Very quickly--the answer is yes, typepad gives instructions for how to import a blogger blog. Yay!

Quote:
Blogger/Blogspot/Blogger Pro

A) Log into your Blogger account, then switch into template-editing mode. Make a copy of your current template; you will be replacing your Blogger template with the conversion template.

Replace your Blogger template with the following:

<Blogger>
AUTHOR: <$BlogItemAuthor$>
TITLE: <PostSubject><$BlogItemSubject$></PostSubject >
DATE: <$BlogItemDateTime$>
-----
BODY:
<$BlogItemBody$>
--------
</Blogger>

B) Click the Settings tab for the weblog:

• On the Publishing sub-tab, change your Blog Filename to a different filename; this will prevent you from overwriting your main index file. Note: Blogspot does not have the option to set the output filename, so output to the main index page instead. This is the default setting for Blogspot, so you should not need to change anything.

• On the Formatting sub-tab, set your weblog to display all of your posts on the main index page. There is no explicit setting for this; instead, you should change the number of days displayed on your front page (Show N days’ posts on main page) higher than the number of days that you have been weblogging.

• Set Timestamp Format to the format MM/DD/YYYY HH:MM:SS AM|PM. (Note: the format will not look like this in the menu; instead it will be the current time, formatted.)

• Set Convert Line Breaks to No.

• On the Archiving sub-tab, set Archive Frequency to No Archive. This will prevent your archives from being overwritten with the new template.

C) Switch back to the Posts screen, and Publish your weblog. You will end up with a single file with all of your posts, formatted using the above template, at the location specified in your Settings.

Enter the URL of this export file using Option A when Importing Content.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2006 at 10:09am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Homeschooljournal will also let you import from blogger. I am absolutely an idiot about this sort of thing, but Andrea has been super helpful for support. I have not figured out the sidebar stuff completely yet, and there are some bugs to work out, but it is pretty easy, AD FREE, and free.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2006 at 1:36pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU LISSA for checking into this for me. I am so computer illiterate and this is a big step for me. I am going to try it tonight when my little ones are in bed and I can focus well! Did I mention how grateful I am?

amyable
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2006 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote amyable

If money is an issue, I just found a free blog hosting service that is very similar to what I saw in Typepad. It is Blog Spirit.

It seems pretty easy to use, although there are not as many templates to chose from as Typepad, and I don't know if you can transfer your old blog there easily. But it does the easy sidebar manipulation, book/music lists with pictures, photo albums, etc.

Here's a quick site I set up there: Among Women

Back to Top View amyable's Profile Search for other posts by amyable

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: March 26 2006 at 7:37pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Thank you Amy and Theresa for the other blog ideas! I am not sure which I will end up going with. I have only had my existing blog for three months so it is not huge but I would like to keep the old posts for sentimental reasons .

I am anxious to check it all out. Thanks so much!!

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version