Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: Where do you like to read to your kids? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: Where is your favorite place to read to your children?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [57.58%]
1 [3.03%]
3 [9.09%]
1 [3.03%]
6 [18.18%]
2 [6.06%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [3.03%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 13 2010 at 10:08pm | IP Logged  

Reading to our children is one of the best parts of a living education. Have you spent hours curled up on the couch with a few (or many) kids and a stack of picture books? Have you ever stayed up late with your kids just to keep reading a book and see what happens next?

Reading is a pleasure that can be enjoyed in many ways and in many places. Where do you like to read to your kids?

Vote once for your favorite place then reply with more about your reading habits. Thank you!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 13 2010 at 10:15pm | IP Logged  

Where do I prefer---on the couch
Where do my kids prefer---in my bed

If I read in bed, I risk falling asleep But my kids enjoy curling up around me in bed with a good book

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 13 2010 at 10:31pm | IP Logged  

I like to sit in our rocking chair in the natural light when I read aloud. The kids sit on the sofas to listen - plenty of room to stretch out and relax.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2010 at 12:26am | IP Logged  

I voted for couch, but I really could have gone with outside just as easily. It depends on the season. Summer sees us reading outside a bunch, while winter we usually are content on the couch.
Also, it depends on the age of the child. The littles always like to snuggle together in my bed for a bedtime story, but as they get older that is less of an attraction. They are more often reading their own book in their own bed at that hour.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2010 at 12:38am | IP Logged  

Like you Theresa I voted couch but would have voted outside as close second. Unlike you we read outside more in the winter following the sun. In the summer we follow the shade, so we will read outside on a blanket or with children dangling in the swings, until inevitably someone gets bitten by green ants.

Couch is the most comfortable though, when younger the boys tended to listen with their heads on the seats and legs resting on the walls Now it is more a battle as to who gets to sit next to mum, or drape over my head on the back of the lounge.

I agree Angie, reading together is the best part of our education journey together

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2010 at 6:43am | IP Logged  

I voted "comfy" chair.....I am in my comfy chair and the kids are scattered about the living room: couch, chair, and mostly floor.

For picture books we are curled up on the couch...
Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

KC in TX
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2010 at 1:36pm | IP Logged  

I wouldn't say this is my favorite place (kitchen/dining room table), but it's where most of the reading gets done. All the kids are there and occupied with hands so their ears are open and ready.

The second place would be on the couch.

Michaela ('01)
Emma ('03)
Jordan ('05)
And, my 2 angels, Rose ('08) and Mark ('09)

The Cabbage Patch
Back to Top View KC in TX's Profile Search for other posts by KC in TX

Grace&Chaos
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2010 at 2:39pm | IP Logged  

I voted couch, but could have easily said "all of the above". My kids will retreat to read in just about every corner of the house. I love it !!

Grace in Loving Chaos
Back to Top View Grace&Chaos's Profile Search for other posts by Grace&Chaos Visit Grace&Chaos's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2010 at 2:56pm | IP Logged  

I'm going to be difficult and say "other".

I pretty much confine us to a ROOM in the house and our dining room and living room are actually one room where most things happen.. but I've used my bedroom especially in the summer because it's the coolest room in the house then.

But some will cuddle with me, some with each other, some alone, some need to be moving around, some need something to do.. if I can get us all in the same room and quiet enough that I can read without losing my voice.. it's as good as it gets

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2010 at 3:29pm | IP Logged  

On the couch, is what I voted...but on occasion it's in our bed..., but I find either the boys fall asleep while I'm reading there, or I'm dozing off.

During the day (ie. during schooltime,) we do picture books and living books reading. Before bed, we do the chapter books, and yes, there are some evenings (many, actually,) when they want "just one more chapter." I admit, I get rather involved in the stories, too, so I don't mind extra reading.

Our morning Bible reading we do at the dining room table. That's one of the few things I read at the table, and I don't know why.

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2010 at 5:37pm | IP Logged  

I could have chosen most of these, but our favorite is the comfy chair in my son's room. This is the nighttime reading chair, singing, praying, rocking, sick chair.

I really miss the nights when I'm not home and can't read to my boys.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 14 2010 at 5:45pm | IP Logged  

My favorite place is my comfy chair in my bedroom. (This chair doubles as my favorite prayer chair.) I love having a little one snuggled on my lap, reading a picture book chosen from the book basket next to the chair. I treasure this one-to-one time.

Practically speaking, I do most of my reading to the children on our couch. We also like to read on our patio, in my bed, and while they rest in their bed before drifting off to sleep. We only read the Bible, Catechism, and Missal at the table..like Stacy said, I don't know why.

I never read aloud in the car...makes my stomach .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

robinhigh
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 14 2010 at 7:05pm | IP Logged  

In a BIG rocker/recliner with the children taking turns rocking with me. Heaven!
Back to Top View robinhigh's Profile Search for other posts by robinhigh

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 14 2010 at 10:27pm | IP Logged  

Most of our reading is in the big chair or the bed, but when the weather is just right, we love the hammock, so that's what I voted for.

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 16 2010 at 6:39am | IP Logged  

I picked couch- my favorite.... but my kids would have picked the kitchen table. They love to hear a story while they eat! This has been very helpful for us, as it takes the attention away from the food. Nobody notices what the others are eating when they are listening to The Moffats, especially when the ghost in the attic is scaring Peter .

I also read to them in waiting rooms, and we all love books on tape in the car.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

drmommy
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 16 2010 at 11:21am | IP Logged  

I read the girls' their literature books (The Black Arrow, Island of the Blue Dolphins, and The Courage of Sarah Noble) on the couch with them, but at night we are plodding through the Little House series. We are just finishing up The Long Winter and going to start Little Town on the Prairie. My husband who works long hours and was born and raised in England, really looks forward to the stories, as it is relaxing for him after his shift (he is home at 9:30 p) and informative, as his history growing up was pretty much world and British.

These moments are so golden and relax the girls before they go to bed.

Unfortunately, my 18 year old son doesn't want anything to do with them!
Back to Top View drmommy's Profile Search for other posts by drmommy

Marybeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2010 at 1:58pm | IP Logged  

I said parents' bedroom, but the kids prefer the couch. Lately, I have been reading at breakfast and lunch as my dd (age 3) is really getting a longer attention span and loving hearing chapter books while eating. She adored Dr. Dolittle.

Great poll!

Marybeth

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 17 2010 at 9:30am | IP Logged  

joann10 wrote:
I voted "comfy" chair.....I am in my comfy chair and the kids are scattered about the living room: couch, chair, and mostly floor.

For picture books we are curled up on the couch...

Ditto Joann almost exactly!

I have 2 rocking chairs (one in the living room, and one which is now back in my bedroom), and that's our favorite "comfy" chair! This is my favorite spot for reading!

I do find that more and more we're on the couch though.

I'd like to make it a goal to get outside and read more as the weather becomes more comfortable!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 18 2010 at 11:11am | IP Logged  

Last day to vote and share your experience! Thanks for participating.

Love,

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This topic is closed.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version