Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
The Arts in the Everyday
 4Real Forums : The Arts in the Everyday
Subject Topic: Musical Instruments/Lessons - Which ones? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: What instrument(s) do your children play or are they learning to play?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [40.00%]
11 [18.33%]
11 [18.33%]
6 [10.00%]
2 [3.33%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.33%]
4 [6.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 1:23am | IP Logged  

I know we have a lot of talented musicians here. Music education is a great "art in the everyday" topic and learning an instrument has many benefits. I have to admit being a music flunky myself - can't carry a tune in a bucket, struggled with piano lessons. Now my husband is very musically talented and was active in jazz band (played trumpet). Our oldest son didn't play an instrument - no interest. The next one plays violin, electric and acoustic guitar, and a bit of piano. Our daughter plays piano. The youngest has balked at lessons but is now thinking he will try piano (though he really wants to play guitar).

So what instruments do your child(ren) play? And you can vote multiple times to cover different children or multiple instruments per child.

Though it's not part of the poll question - do you or did you play an instrument? Which one? How big a part of your family's lives is music lessons/performances/etc?

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 1:28am | IP Logged  

Oh, and I wanted to just say, I am aware that piano and guitar are also stringed instruments, but pulled them out separately for more options and more differentiation since those will likely be the most common instrument categories.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 6:39am | IP Logged  

Studied piano for 12 years, though I learned quickly after I got married (and we didn't have a piano 'til 9 years later) that skills dwindle to almost nothing when not practiced -- I can still play but I'm not very good at sight reading anymore and I'm not as fast -- and I make a LOT of mistakes as to make playing most unenjoyable.

I teach the kids piano, so we haven't had to pay for lessons, but I've found it difficult to be consistent about it, so they really haven't progressed as well as they would have with an outside teacher. I'm trying to be a better teacher this year.

The 19-yo and 14-yo took violin lessons a while back, and for a while continued it after we moved, but they've lost interest.

They both play guitar now, with the 19-yo being quite a bit more advanced. This is mostly self-taught, but they're surrounded by talented guitar players (family and friends) and so many lessons can be found online (and now on Garage Band on the computer). The 19-yo has performed some, but now that she's in college doesn't have much time.

The boys want to learn drums, and again we have drummer friends and lessons online, but I can't afford the drum set yet. (Those things are expensive!!!)

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 7:14am | IP Logged  

My son studied trumpet for a while but moving overseas made it hard to find teachers who spoke English, so he set it aside.

My dd plays piano and took up guitar this summer after badgering me relentlessly for lessons. I have to say that, although I'm still not fond of teaching, she is doing quite well.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 9:27am | IP Logged  

I voted none . My oldest 3 took lessons for one year (2 piano, 1 guitar) and that was that.

My dh has no music background. I took piano for a few years as a child and, unfortunately, I remember the experience as mainly one with a knot in my stomach.

I feel compelled to add that we are great appreciators of music . While you all are filling the world with beautiful sound, we are listening and marveling at your talent, work, and generosity!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 9:53am | IP Logged  

I played piano for about 10 years, but like Stef....don't practice, so I can't "really" play anymore .

I also played oboe and bassoon in band/orchestra for 8 years during my teen years.

I am teaching my oldest dd beginning piano, and she's dying to get her hands on a violin....maybe in a couple years. The other girls haven't shown an interest in anything yet.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 10:37am | IP Logged  

I put other, only because we have one pianist and one violinist. The violinist took 2 years of piano and then switched. I like the idea of piano as a first instrument and then branching out. Although the next one down is balking at having to learn piano before I'll let him take up drums or guitar. We'll see.

Anita
Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 11:08am | IP Logged  

Angie Mc wrote:
I took piano for a few years as a child and, unfortunately, I remember the experience as mainly one with a knot in my stomach.

Me, too... and I only lasted a year.

Remember you can vote multiple times to cover multiple kids of multiple instruments per child.

Our Domestic Church

Marcia
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 11:24am | IP Logged  

I took Piano for 8 years.
I have one daughter who has taken violin for 7 years and clarinet for 1 year.
Another daughter has taken violin for 4 years and piano for 1 year.
A son who has taken violin for 2 years.
Another daughter who is starting violin this year.
Whew.

I wonder why
Back to Top View Marcia's Profile Search for other posts by Marcia

violingirl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 11:35am | IP Logged  

I'm a piano, violin and viola teacher. :)

My oldest is starting individual piano lessons this year and he took part in one of the group classes I teach for preschoolers last year. He *really* wants to play the violin also, but I'd like him to have a solid base in piano first before adding a second instrument.

Back to Top View violingirl's Profile Search for other posts by violingirl Visit violingirl's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 6:12pm | IP Logged  

My boys will be taking lessons for the very first time this fall. My oldest three have missed out, and I feel so guilty about it!
One of the moms in my hs group was giving away a piano to whomever would pay movers to move it, and I took her up on it. It is rickety and old, and we've had to repair some keys. I also bought my 12yods a guitar for his b'day....way back in May...of 2009. So, my 6 and 8yo ds will be playing piano, and my 12yods will play guitar.
And I grew up playing piano, organ, guitar and saxophone (alto,) and singing in choir. I grew up in a musical family. My grandfather played piano and sang in choir and did local opera. My father played and sang (oh, how I miss his voice!) Yes, feeling quite guilty.

In Christ,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 6:48pm | IP Logged  

violingirl wrote:
I'm a piano, violin and viola teacher. :)

I guess with a username like "violingirl" I should expect as much .

Our Domestic Church

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 7:23pm | IP Logged  

Mu daughter has been begging for guitar lessons for two years and finally this summer my dad bought her a real guitar and we start lessons in the fall.

Also my daughter did choir for 4 years to learn musicality and I think that really helped to get her interested in playing an instrument

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 7:44pm | IP Logged  

Sadly I had to vote 'no instruments'

I would like them too, we have had little forays with piano, violin and clarinet, but no-one is that interested.   Dd8 is a little interested so hopefully one day.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 8:02pm | IP Logged  

We are trying piano this fall... should be interesting!

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 8:31pm | IP Logged  

My middle daughter Emily pays the oboe. She is a music education major at college and her goal is to eventually teach high school band. So, although oboe is her main instrument, she also is a strong brass player, and is learning piano and percussion. She will need to play them all to teach them!
My oldest daughter and my oldest son both play guitar. And my oldest daughter also plays piano.
So far no instruments for the youngest two, though I am hoping to manage it somehow, someday.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 10:40pm | IP Logged  

(I'm so relieved that I'm not the only one who voted "no instruments"...phew.)

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 10:41pm | IP Logged  

3 of my girls have taken piano lessons (since we have mine from my childhood) for a few years. We stopped due to cost and lack of interest. My 20yodd has taken voice lessons for many years.
God bless,
Mary-NY
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 25 2010 at 1:41am | IP Logged  

Angie Mc wrote:
(I'm so relieved that I'm not the only one who voted "no instruments"...phew.)

Love,

Well I slunk in here and slunk out again in shame

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Aug 25 2010 at 7:06am | IP Logged  

We are very musically inclined. Dh and I took piano growing up. He can still play well. I can struggle through the beginner books that my younger kids are using.   

Oldest plays piano, violin and viola and wants to do something with music as a career.
Second plays piano and some cello. He's going to pick cellow back up this year.
Third plays violin and piano and is going to try cello this year.
Youngest plays piano.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version