Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Poll: Do you bake in the summer? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: Do you bake in the summer when it's hot?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
7 [14.58%]
7 [14.58%]
4 [8.33%]
24 [50.00%]
6 [12.50%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 19 2010 at 6:15pm | IP Logged  

Baking.. work or fun.. the results are often worth it. Do you bake in the summer?

How do you beat the heat? Are there particular things that you make? What makes it worthwhile to do?

Please vote as many times as necessary to cover all your options.

To vote multiple times choose your first answer and click "cast vote", then choose you next answer and click "cast vote", etc.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 19 2010 at 8:02pm | IP Logged  

It would have to be a hugely special occasion. We keep our thermostat at 80 degrees unless we have houseguests, so any use of the oven means we swelter all day.

I have a bread machine, but I don't use it much during the summer. A friend suggested I try using it in the garage...I wonder if any of you have tried to bake this way

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2010 at 8:08pm | IP Logged  

Ok...may be a dumb question but do you mean baking as in cookies, cakes etc. or baking as in casseroles etc?   

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 19 2010 at 8:17pm | IP Logged  

oh anything you want Kathryn.

I do baked goods in the evening.. getting them turned onto cooling racks right before I head to bed (cover them with a light dish towel)..

We usually cool down in the evenings and so I bake then and the house has all night long to cool down again.

For things I want that would have to be baked during the heat of the day.. I use electric appliances.. like my electric roaster and I put it on the patio.

So yes Nancy, I do things like that but I don't use a bread machine.. but I put my roaster and crock pots and rice cooker OUT of the house to cook when it's hot.

And I've baked enchiladas in the roaster, done a turkey or roast.. beans, rice etc all not in the house and had those foods to eat without heating up my house.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2010 at 8:25pm | IP Logged  

We use our convection oven/toaster oven plugged in outside. We do not use our regular oven May through September. WE laugh that during hurricane season our oven is out of commission:)

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 19 2010 at 9:34pm | IP Logged  

We bake in the AZ summer! And I really appreciate it, because this hasn't always been true. Let's see...in our oven you may find:

bacon
enchiladas
cookies
pie crust (to be filled with fresh fruit filling)
puffed pancakes
ribs (that we later grill)
pizza

Two years ago we purchased a really good air conditioner. Part of the cost savings comes from keeping the house at a constant temp, so we keep it at 78. Three years ago we purchased excellent blinds which keep the house cool. Last year I purchased my very first stove! It also keeps the heat down. So keeping the house cool isn't as hard for me as it has been in the past. (I still move my crockpot to the garage, out of habit .

But our appetites do change a bit. We bake few casseroles, hot pies, cakes, and other heavy foods. We don't oven-roast either.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 19 2010 at 10:07pm | IP Logged  

I voted "other" as we are lucky enough to have central air conditioning. I'm very thankful for that due to the fact that I can use the oven and not swelter!

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 19 2010 at 10:24pm | IP Logged  

I said "other" too b/c yes we do use it albeit very reluctantly. We do have a/c otherwise I prob. wouldn't but I feel like I'm being PUT in the oven when I do cook and open that door to take stuff out! However, I've resorted to waaay too many frozen meals lately that require oven cooking. Well, I guess some could go in the microwave but I don't always like the flavor/texture and if I'm cooking something for everyone, in the oven it goes.

I def. don't think we've done any cakes, cookies, muffins or more of those wintry dishes I think of. Well, we did bake my son's birthday cake in June and I'll prob. bake the littlest one's cake in August but no other baking like that till prob. Oct!

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 20 2010 at 2:34am | IP Logged  

Always, biscuits, muffins or dinner. Although when it gets up to 40C (104F) we may consider just a BBQ and salad.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Belle
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: July 20 2010 at 5:45pm | IP Logged  

I live in the tropics. It's always summer.(Not that I am bitter about that ) So yes. I bake in the summer. If I didn't, we wouldn't eat!

Though I do try to limit the more traditionally winter food items to the dry season (which it currently is...we have lows of 18C but the days tend to be around 27/31C- I'm not sure what that is in F. Haven;t had enough caffeine yet to find the conversion or do the math, but lets just say, it's kinda hot!) If I use my oven too much in the wet season when the humidity rises, my smoke detecters go crazy....they are so sensitive, humidity sets them off. Not a good thing in a tropical climate.
Back to Top View Belle's Profile Search for other posts by Belle

Lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 20 2010 at 11:09pm | IP Logged  

As needed...it doesn't seem to affect the house too much during the evenings or early mornings.
Back to Top View Lori's Profile Search for other posts by Lori

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2010 at 2:05am | IP Logged  

A hot summer day in Wales is 75 degrees! Our oven does tend to heat up the kitchen, but I frequently find it a bit chilly. So we bake for birthdays and holidays. I like to bake something on Sundays and during the week, my dd will bake cookies or pies. Oh, and pies are a main course here as well, so we bake those as well.

CatholicMommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2010 at 12:46pm | IP Logged  

We just don't bake much in the summer months at all - especially because I am adamant NOT to turn on the a/c this summer (I almost turned it on when it hit 100 degrees in our apartment a few days back - I took a nap instead ).

Even cooking on the stove can be hot - but then I also have the ironing board and iron in our kitchen and I do lots of sewing, so I'm already so hot, that I just don't want to eat anything hot.

Sadly, even bread this summer has come from the store - even though it would rise so nicely right now

I've never thought to put the crockpot and other countertop items on our balcony! I bet it wouldn't take so much electricity to heat either when it's starting at 90+ degrees! At least that way, we can have pasta salad and such.

Now, when we had a basement apartment and it maintained 65 degrees in there regardless of the temperature outside, the baking situation was very different!

Back to Top View CatholicMommy's Profile Search for other posts by CatholicMommy Visit CatholicMommy's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2010 at 2:54pm | IP Logged  

ETA: I chose option "0" for other

Well, I would! but dh won't let me turn on the oven once it gets above 70 degrees. It's killing me ... I had to buy storebought bread the other day since there is only so many pita bread and grilled flat bread the guys will stand before they balk!

It's hard on me actually since I grew up in SF (where 70 is a heat wave!) and so all my standard dinners require some kind of baking. Good thing dh is an amazing cook, eh?????

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: July 22 2010 at 8:21pm | IP Logged  

I chose "regularly" because we have 3 birthdays in the heat of the summer and 2 that come close. Plus I bake casseroles and quiche. In our old house it wasn't too bad, but we just moved. I've used the oven twice and it's been awful! Not well sealed (neither is house) so it made hot house even hotter. I'll have to get creative for the next bday (Saturday) and I've resorted to searching for rice cooker recipes so I can cook outdoors! For the rest of the summer my answer will hopefully be "No way!"

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: July 22 2010 at 8:23pm | IP Logged  

Mary, if I couldn't use the oven when it was above 70 I might as well rip it out. It would be off 3/4 of the year here!

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2010 at 10:09pm | IP Logged  

cathhomeschool wrote:
Mary, if I couldn't use the oven when it was above 70 I might as well rip it out. It would be off 3/4 of the year here!
ah, yes ... but if you had your husband doing grilling or making salads, etc ... would that be so bad?

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2010 at 11:32pm | IP Logged  

i use my oven, like, all the time.

but i also have no problems with pushing my A/C down low. I keep it at 70 normally in the summer, tho I would prefer 68
Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 22 2010 at 11:53pm | IP Logged  

Generally we still do bake through the summer, though I will refrain on those really hot 95+ days (which are rare here). I tend not to do roast type baking very much though - anything that is in the oven for long periods of time. So our summer baking is more typically baked goods and casseroles which only need 30 - 60 minutes.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2010 at 7:15am | IP Logged  

folklaur wrote:
i use my oven, like, all the time.

but i also have no problems with pushing my A/C down low. I keep it at 70 normally in the summer, tho I would prefer 68
You're kidding ... we keep ours at 77/78! But cost of electric a/c is amazing here in the Old Dominion!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version