Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Book Club (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Book Club
Subject Topic: Brideshead Revisited Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 25 2010 at 2:44pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

There isn't really a critical edition of Brideshead with notes and essays and such. This is surprising given that I'd think the book would be a popular dissertation topic and the fact that it is popular enough to have supported two movies. But if you just want a better aesthetic experience, there are several older editions of Brideshead--including the original hardcover--available on Amazon at reasonable prices.

One insight I found helpful--and this might be really obvious but it took me four readings and two movie viewings for it to click--is to remember that Charles is remembering everything in the story. All his memories are in light of his present, converted (converting?) state during the war. Keeping that mind can cast some things in a new light.

I did ask my dh to send along some good links so you can read some more thoughts on the book:

This is an online study guide of sorts

This is a brief essay by Thomas Howard (another favorite of ours). The comments are good as well.

Here is an old essay by Thomas Prufer in Communio

And here is an essay from Patey's biography of Waugh

Hope that keeps you busy for awhile!

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2010 at 3:13pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Just realized that the last link will only take you to ordering the biography--not the actual essay. Sorry! But if your library has that book you might check it out.

There is also a good essay in George Weigel's Letters to a Young Catholic on Brideshead though he says he is getting his ideas chiefly from Patey.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Kyra
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 15 2010 at 2:46pm | IP Logged Quote Kyra

One of my three or four favourite novels. I particularly like Cordelia's words about suffering, when Charles says he supposes Sebastian doesn't suffer- that it must be terrible to have no will and self-restraint, but that it's necessary, because no-one is made holy except by suffering.

And the bit where she convinces Julia's future husband that Catholics needs to sleep with their feet pointing east, and that there's a donation box in the church for getting people damned. And that there are sacred monkeys in the Vatican. That scene is very funny.
Back to Top View Kyra's Profile Search for other posts by Kyra

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version