Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: PollTeach respect for your country's flag (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: How do you teach your children to respect your country's flag?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [10.00%]
9 [15.00%]
9 [15.00%]
6 [10.00%]
5 [8.33%]
14 [23.33%]
7 [11.67%]
4 [6.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 14 2010 at 6:30pm | IP Logged  

Happy Flag Day to 4Real members in the United States!

All members, please share how your family shows respect to your country's flag by voting for as many choices as is fitting. If you have time, elaborate! Thank you for participating.

Love,

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 14 2010 at 6:48pm | IP Logged  

NOTE: you can vote multiple times.

To do this you choose your first answer and click "cast vote"

then choose you next answer and click "cast vote"

etc.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 14 2010 at 7:43pm | IP Logged  

We're lucky enough to live near Baltimore and DC, so we've been able to visit the Star-Spangled Banner House, Fort McHenry and the Museum of American History (home of the original Star-Spangled Banner). If you ever have the chance to visit any of these places, I highly recommend them all. (And if you go to Ft. McHenry at opening or closing time, you can help raise or lower the big flag!)

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 14 2010 at 11:16pm | IP Logged  

I love going to baseball games, watching an entire stadium of fans stop their chatting and pre-game chaos to stand and give attention to the flag while singing the National Anthem. I get choked up every single time.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2010 at 12:57am | IP Logged  

When we study US history we always spend some time talking about the history and symbolism of the flag. The kids often love to make paper flags on flag day and 4th of July especially if I give them a sheet of sticky stars to decorate them with.
My boys have both done flag ceremonies(lots) and flag retirements through boy scouts and have learned flag etiquette that way.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 15 2010 at 2:06am | IP Logged  

We periodically revisit the US flag/Patriotic Unit that I did several years ago. That year we focused on it between Flag Day and Independence Day. I just added a couple picture books we found for the song "You're a Grand Old Flag." There are lots of great picture books on the US flag.

We really should fly the flag more often. I go in spurts. Around the time we did the study we were really diligent about flying it more frequently. Not recently though, so this is a good reminder.

guitarnan wrote:
We're lucky enough to live near Baltimore and DC, so we've been able to visit the Star-Spangled Banner House, Fort McHenry and the Museum of American History (home of the original Star-Spangled Banner). If you ever have the chance to visit any of these places, I highly recommend them all. (And if you go to Ft. McHenry at opening or closing time, you can help raise or lower the big flag!)

Nancy, I heartily agree. We visited both last summer during our viist there. The newly redone exhibit at Smithsonian's Museum of American History is phenomenal. I remember when the the flag just hung on the wall and that was it - this is a really spectacualr display and intended to really preserve the flag which has deteriorated a lot due to exposure.

It is my understanding that there are big plans in the making right now for a Star-Spangled Banner and War of 1812 Bicentennial. When we visited Ft. McHenry last year the guide shared how the new visitor center is being built and set to open this fall - in plenty of time to be ready for the bicentennial which will start in 2012. They sound like they have big plans for that year.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

LucyP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 15 2010 at 11:09am | IP Logged  

We live in the UK and people don't get all that het up about our flags/s. What we do is make sure our children know the difference between the Union Jack and the St George's flag and what each one stands for, and that's that. Our son has a Union Jack he has in his room at the moment, but the previous Union jacks and St George's cross flags got wrecked in play and I guess this one will too which is fine. We do sometimes explain symbolism of flags at half mast or what flag is flown when and why (ie around the royal family etc) when it comes up. We had a march for our local regiment when they came home from Afghanistan and we waved our flags then if that counts as respecting them, I don't know!
Back to Top View LucyP's Profile Search for other posts by LucyP

momtomany
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2010 at 8:28am | IP Logged  

We have a big flagpole in our front yard. We put it up during my son's first deployment. We also say the Pledge of Allegiance ever yday after the Angelus and noon prayers. We have a very small flag next to a statue of Our Lady.

allegiance_mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 16 2010 at 8:54am | IP Logged  

I actually could have answered yes to more than one of those :)

Wife 17 years
Mom to two boys, 14 and 8, and one pre-born babe in Heaven (Jan 2010)
Back to Top View allegiance_mom's Profile Search for other posts by allegiance_mom Visit allegiance_mom's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 16 2010 at 9:08am | IP Logged  

allegiance_mom wrote:
I actually could have answered yes to more than one of those :)

You can vote multiple times in order to make all your choices. It just won't let you vote for more than one in the same vote.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 16 2010 at 4:02pm | IP Logged  

momtomany wrote:
We have a big flagpole in our front yard. We put it up during my son's first deployment. We also say the Pledge of Allegiance ever yday after the Angelus and noon prayers. We have a very small flag next to a statue of Our Lady.

I can picture it, Mary Ann .

Recently I reorganized my living/family room and somehow our little flag didn't find a new home. Thanks to your reminder, Mary Ann, I just purchased a new little flag to place by a statue of Our Lady, too.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Donna Marie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2010 at 5:00pm | IP Logged  

I think the best way was to marry a Marine!

Seriously, when a man says something with conviction, it is contagious. We do read about flag respect and practice it in different ways, but the Dad influence has been strong here in this house!

Finding Elegant Simplicity
Back to Top View Donna Marie's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Marie Visit Donna Marie's Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 16 2010 at 9:09pm | IP Logged  

LucyP wrote:
We live in the UK and people don't get all that het up about our flags/s. What we do is make sure our children know the difference between the Union Jack and the St George's flag and what each one stands for, and that's that.

Lucy

So glad you wrote this, I've written and deleted my response three times in this thread So it's a cultural thing, whew.
I didn't vote anywhere because we are the same here in Australia about flags. don't get me wrong we are fiercely proud to be Australians but our patriotism focuses on other 'icons'. Not to say we aren't proud to see our flag fly but we don't show it in the same way.

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 16 2010 at 9:24pm | IP Logged  

Erin wrote:
   don't get me wrong we are fiercely proud to be Australians but our patriotism focuses on other 'icons'.   

Interesting! What are the other icons.

Love,

Aggie gal
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 17 2010 at 2:57pm | IP Logged  

We live on base, so everyday at 5pm the Star Spangled Banner is played. Cars pull over and stop, everyone outside stops what they are doing, place their hands over their hearts and face a flag or the direction of the music. Once it’s over, things resume as usual.

Back to Top View Aggie gal's Profile Search for other posts by Aggie gal

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2010 at 1:56am | IP Logged  

At home we had a flagpole in our front garden. It had a light on it, so we flew the American flag with the Vatican flag underneath it. Having scouts and a dh that was the scoutmaster contributed a lot to our knowledge of the flag.

One of the leaders in our scout troop was retired Navy. He flew a fighter plane in Vietnam and every year at scout camp (and on other occassions as well), he would do a flag retirement. He always had a great story to go along with the ceremony and of course it was a great teaching experience for the boys and their families. Everyone knew where to take their flags when they were too old to be used.

On Memorial Day, the scouts would go to the cemetary and hang flags for all the soldiers who were buried there. We always had a ceremony as well. We certainly liked participating in that as well.

And now that we are expats, we keep our flag hung in our school room. We say the pledge every school morning. My dc are older, but when they were younger, they learned about the flag, etiquette, the history of the flag. We did art projects and we also visited the home where Betsy Ross lived when she sewed the flag.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 18 2010 at 9:07am | IP Logged  

This poll closes tomorrow. Please vote and share your experience! Thank you to all who have participated.

Any other Americans have tears in their eyes from watching the World Cup openning just a few minutes ago while singing the National Anthem and saluting the flag? Our household does!

Love,

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This topic is closed.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version