Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: POLL: How often does your family grill? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Poll Question: How often do you grill?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
18 [46.15%]
11 [28.21%]
1 [2.56%]
1 [2.56%]
5 [12.82%]
3 [7.69%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 08 2010 at 10:35am | IP Logged  

I hear the sizzle and smell the aroma of outdoor cooking! After you have voted, if you have time, share your favorite grilling tips and recipes. Thanks for participating and...

Happy Grilling!

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2010 at 10:48am | IP Logged  

I don't grill - my husband does! (Seriously, I don't know how to turn on the gas grill and I think I've started up our charcoal BBQ only two or three times in almost 25 years.)

In summer we grill several times each week. In winter, hardly ever. We're very seasonal chefs!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 08 2010 at 10:55am | IP Logged  

This may sound a little backwards but the hotter it gets here, the less we grill . We grill more during the winter when it gets dark early and being outside is a joy. The only time we want to grill now is after the sun goes down...which is too late to eat for us on most nights. So we'll grill about once a week, on the weekend, when Dave and Ian can take charge.

My FAVORITE recipe for the grill is marinated shrimp. oooooooohhhhhhhh this is good, especially when we have fresh shrimp from Mexico. YUM!

My second favorite is to marinate boneless chicken breast in Italian dressing, grill it, then place a medallion of chevre on top to warm through, and top with sundried tomatoes and/or fresh basil strips and capers. YUM again!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

DominaCaeli
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2010 at 11:00am | IP Logged  

I come from a family who grills just about every day in good weather (which is nearly year round--we're in CA), but my husband and I don't even own one! I do all the cooking and I prefer doing it indoors, so I'm not sure when (if ever) we'll bite the bullet...luckily, I get my fill of grilled salmon and steaks when I'm visiting my parents!

Mommy to six: three boys (8, 4, newborn) and four girls (7, 5, 2, and 1)
Back to Top View DominaCaeli's Profile Search for other posts by DominaCaeli

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 08 2010 at 11:00am | IP Logged  

guitarnan wrote:
I don't grill - my husband does!

Ackkk...my vague "you" was meant to mean "your family". So, I changed the wording of the poll to "How often does your family grill?"...at least in the one place I could edit . Thanks for helping me to clarify, Nancy.

Now I'm really curious...how many ladies actually do the grilling? I don't grill. Grilling duty went straight from my dh to my 11yo ds!

Love,

dakotamidnight
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 08 2010 at 11:01am | IP Logged  

We don't grill per say all that often, but we do use a Set-it-and Forget-It indoor rotisserie at least once a week - it's just as good as grilling for most things!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2010 at 11:01am | IP Logged  

We grill several times a week.. and my older son is learning so even with dad gone I'm not doing the actual grilling myself I supervise.

That is of course.. if the grill is here. it goes visiting as much as I do. Last night it was at a lacrosse fundraiser of selling hamburgers and hotdogs. Before that it was still at my sister's house from Memorial Weekend.

I also like doing a lot of grilling on one night for the leftovers. Like doing more bl/sl chicken than needed for dinner.. so that it can be sliced/chopped up for sandwiches and salads for other meals. Way cheaper than lunch meat

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2010 at 11:02am | IP Logged  

We try to grill all the time in the summer. With our heat and humidity, it is out of the question to cook indoors. On milder days in the winter I've been known to grill. Our grill is on our covered deck, so not usually a lot of snow around it. A whole grilled turkey for Thanksgiving is the best!!

anitamarie
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2010 at 11:16am | IP Logged  

Angie Mc wrote:
Now I'm really curious...how many ladies actually do the grilling? I don't grill. Grilling duty went straight from my dh to my 11yo ds!

Love,

We both grill around here. I do it on weeknights and he does it on the weekends. I love not heating up the kitchen in the summer.

Anita

Back to Top View anitamarie's Profile Search for other posts by anitamarie

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 08 2010 at 11:18am | IP Logged  

I put once per week since that is probably what we average over a whole year. We usually do a couple times per week in mid summer and a couple times a month in fall and winter.

Husband does the grilling most often but I do my share as well - maybe a third of the time.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2010 at 11:25am | IP Logged  

Paula, I have to know...how do you grill a turkey? And how long does it take?

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2010 at 11:46am | IP Logged  

Nancy, I don't know about a turkey.. but I saw somewhere that you can cut a whole chicken down the back I think it was.. and open it up and squash it flat for grilling..

And there's so many terms that are used in different ways.. like BBQ or Grill etc.. I would imagine that a turkey is slowcooked in some way with indirect heat.. just on a covered grill.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2010 at 11:50am | IP Logged  

guitarnan wrote:
Paula, I have to know...how do you grill a turkey?

Very carefully

First, I take off the upper grate section of my grill so I have enough room for the turkey. I set the flames to a medium heat. Then I rub some mayonnaise all over the Turkey. I detest condiments, but this really keeps the Turkey moist. You will not taste the mayonnaise.

I place the Turkey in there for about 3 or 4 hours. I check it every 30 minutes or so. It depends on the grill. At times I have put the Turkey directly on the grate, and sometimes I put it in a roasting pan. It will turn out either way. I usually turn it over when I have it right on the grate.

I have friends who have used a charcoal grill and it really doesn't work that well. You need the even heat of a gas grill.

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2010 at 1:09pm | IP Logged  

I put 2-3 times a week, but it really is quite variable, depending on weather. Not so much temperature (I'll grill in hot or cold) but on precipitation. I don't have a covered deck, so if it's raining or snowing, there's no grilling happening.
We just use a simple Weber round charcoal grill. One day we hope to be able to afford a nifty gas grill, but it isn't in the budget at the moment.
My fav thing to grill is marinated flank steak or chicken. Burgers and dogs are a given.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Barbara C.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 08 2010 at 1:18pm | IP Logged  

Does the George Foreman grill count? We go through periods with it...but we don't own an outdoor grill. So, I put "other".

Mom to "spirited" dd(9), "spunky" dd (6), "sincere" dd (3), "sweet" dd (2), and baby girl #5 born 8/1/12!!
Box of Chocolates
Back to Top View Barbara C.'s Profile Search for other posts by Barbara C. Visit Barbara C.'s Homepage

Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 08 2010 at 3:08pm | IP Logged  

In the height of summer we do BBQ (we don't call it grilling) a couple of times a week. am I correct in understanding their is a difference in how Aussies/Americans BBQ? We use gas, and you use charcoal?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 09 2010 at 7:52am | IP Logged  

I do all the cooking (and grilling) in the house. My favorite recipe is from a Good Seasonings cookbook many years back:

Caribbean Jerk Chicken, black bean corn salsa,
Recipe from Good Seasonings Casual Entertaining cook book:
1 envelope Good Seasons Italian Salad Dressing Mix
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper 2 1/2 pounds chicken breasts

Mix all ingredients except chicken in small bowl until well blended. Pour dressing over chicken; cover. Refrigerate 1 hour to marinate. Drain; discard dressing mixture. Place on greased grill over hot coals or on rack of broiler pan 5-7 inches from heat. Cook till cooked thru. (I top mine with a spritz of lime juice.)

Salsa:
1 can drained black beans
1 cup rinsed frozen corn
1/4 chopped red pepper
1 tsp Good Seasonings Italian dressing mix
1 T lime juice
Mix together and chill

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2010 at 7:10am | IP Logged  

Erin wrote:
In the height of summer we do BBQ (we don't call it grilling) a couple of times a week. am I correct in understanding their is a difference in how Aussies/Americans BBQ? We use gas, and you use charcoal?

Erni, the English/Welsh call it it BBQ as well. But it is the same as grilling in America. We have used gas and charcoal (well, gas in Wales). It is the process of cooking outside.

Barbeque, on the other hand, refers to certain types of sauces. I am sure you have seen them in the market, right? I know that we have Jack Daniel's sauce as well as other varieties in our local grocery stores.

We grill quite a bit in the summer. I make my own barbeque sauce and it is now expected by all our local friends that I grill on Independence Day with homemade barbeque sauce! But most of the time I marinate with olive oil and Penzey's spices. My current favorite is Black and Red spice. So yummy and so spicy!

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 10 2010 at 12:13pm | IP Logged  

BBQ and grilling.. some try and make the definitions be different.. something about BBQ being slow indirect heat and grilling being fast direct heat.. so that you might grill hotdogs but bbq chicken.

But I know that what I generally mean is...

using a device know as a BBQ Grill (whatever type and called whatever) to cook food with flames (high, low, medium, direct or indirect)

-Sir Walter Scott

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 10 2010 at 12:16pm | IP Logged  

I grew up in NE Pennsylvania thinking that BBQing/grilling were interchangeable words to describe an activity... cooking food on a grill/bbq and/or having a gathering outside that included cooking food on a grill/bbq.

There was also an item, bbq sauce, that you bought like ketchup to put on the meat that was being cooked on the grill/bbq.

It wasn't until I started moving around the US that I learned about Regional Barbeque Styles...and it has been LOVE ever since. My fave is any pulled pork sandwich, topped or with a side of cole slaw. YUM!

Love,

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version