Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Our Lady's Loom, Larder, and Laundry
Subject Topic: Washing Machine Recommendations, pls. Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: May 18 2010 at 12:37pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Hi Everyone,

We are moving in about one month and will be needing to purchase a new washer and dryer for the house (the current owners are taking theirs). Does anyone have a washer or dryer to either recommend or suggest we avoid? Currently, we have a Samsung front loader. Before that, we owned a top loader. While the front loader works fine, I have to honestly say I have not noticed really any difference in cleaning ability between it and the top loader we owned previously. Has anyone else experienced this as well? I can't say I've noticed any difference in our water or energy bills either (both the front and top leader are/were Energy Star rated). So, to make a long story short, I'm just not sure about paying the extra money on a front loader again. Would love to hear your thoughts on that.

Dh and I have been driving ourselves nuts reading reviews online, etc., and it's so hard to sort through all of it. This will be a big investment for us, and like many of you here, we have a larger family and do A LOT of laundry!

I'm looking forward to hearing your recommendations and suggestions!

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 18 2010 at 12:44pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

The best thing I've heard about using the front loader vs a top loader is that you can get a larger load into the front loader and it spins the clothes more dry so the dryer can work fast.. all about TIME.. that you can get more clothes through the laundry in a faster time with the front loader than otherwise.

Now that makes it tempting

oh and the person who told me this mentioned the LG brand front loader is good. Others I've heard of lots of horror stories on how oftent hey're broken.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

idahodebra
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: May 18 2010 at 1:09pm | IP Logged Quote idahodebra

I have the Whirlpool Cabrio, and I love that thing. You can wash huge loads in it. It is kind of a hybrid, so it's a top-loader with many of the benefits of a front-loader. If I bought another w/d, I would go for this model, again.

Debra
Back to Top View idahodebra's Profile Search for other posts by idahodebra

time4tea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 18 2010 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote time4tea

Debra,

I have been reading a lot of reviews about the Cabrio (and the Bravos, which I believe is supposed to be the same technology but is sold under the Maytag name). One of the things mentioned is the potential of twisted clothing. Have you noticed anything regarding this with your machine?

Jodie Lyn,

I know what you mean about time Currently, out Samsung front loader takes about 80-90 minutes per load, which is longer than a top loader. The odd thing is, I have not noticed a huge difference(if any, really) in drying time for the loads I do. Which leads me to wonder about front loaders in general, and if they are really all they're cracked up to be?? Not sure. I personally have not yet had a bad experience with the front loader we have, but I also can't say it's been so much better than a standard washing machine either. But, it could just be me    And I second your take on reviews - one person loves "machine x" and the next person finds it to be a nightmare. Add to that my (and dh's) analytical type personalities, and you get "paralysis by analysis" in no time!

~Tea
Back to Top View time4tea's Profile Search for other posts by time4tea

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: May 18 2010 at 3:58pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

idahodebra wrote:
I have the Whirlpool Cabrio, and I love that thing. You can wash huge loads in it. It is kind of a hybrid, so it's a top-loader with many of the benefits of a front-loader. If I bought another w/d, I would go for this model, again.

Debra

This is what we have. I still LOVE it. Very pleased.

Sometimes twisted clothing, but I had that with my top loader wringer washer, too.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: May 19 2010 at 11:39am | IP Logged Quote stacykay

I have a lot/hate relationship with the front-loader (we are on our second, a Maytag, which is doing just great with four loads a day...have had it for four years now without any problems.)

The thing I don't like about front loaders is the lack of a small load setting like on the top loader. I miss being able to throw one or two things in, set for low and the amount of time for that wash, and in, say, ten minutes, it is done. The fastest I can get a load done with front-loader is 35 minutes, and it does, really, require a few more things in with it, as the clothes falling against each other take the place of the agitator.

It is convenient for doing voluminous loads, which are the vast majority of our laundry!

Electricity-wise, I don't know that I have seen a difference, but, sad to say, we are electricity hounds, with computers, lights, videos playing, etc. around here.

Water, I have seen a difference. The front loader does use much less.

I have had our Kenmore dryer, the super-size model, for 7 or 8 years. I love it! Not one problem with it, either.

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version