Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Practical ideas for science at home Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 04 2010 at 4:59pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

MODERATOR'S NOTE
THIS POST WAS ORIGINALLY ON ANOTHER THREAD AND WAS MOVED HERE AS IT WAS A GREAT ANSWER TO THE QUESTION. BECAUSE THIS ANSWER WAS POSTED *BEFORE* I STARTED THE NEW THREAD, THE SERVER AUTOMATICALLY POSTS THE ANSWER BEFORE THE QUESTION! SEE QUESTION BELOW AND CHIME IN WITH YOUR THOUGHTS!

Mimip wrote:

I would love some practical ideas for science for example:

How do you plan a curriculum? I was planning on using Apologia because that is what I taught but I think my kids don't really like it, (not in the younger grades anyways)

Do you just choose a topic for the year and go at it?

Or do you do month baskets? If you do, how does that look as kids get older?

I also struggle to get it into the day. Do you do longer blocks of time a few days a week? or even once a week? I'm not talking about Nature Study here, we do that daily, but other things?KWIM?

Okay I'll stop now, Looking forward to the reponses

Under grade three science is quite informal. We regularly read science books (mostly older Childcraft books and I-Want-to-Know-About books) which I will relate to everyday life during discussions. Topics are based on what seems interesting at the time with some thought to covering a reasonable range of topics. We also own a small microscope, magnets, binoculars and the like which the children can use with a minimum of supervision.

I use CHC's Behold and See 3 for grade three because the text is lovely to look at, I like the point of view (looking at God's creation) plus the activities are simple, use easily obtained materials and make sense. It's a good overview of early elementary science which means that it will fill in any gaps that child may have.

I've moved to an homemade curriculum using the Usborne Internet-linked science Encylopedia as the core for grades 4-6 (basically my daughter was bored stiff with the CHC science for grade four, she really liked the Plant section of the Usborne Encylopedia and we've just gone on from there). I understand that Noeo Homescience takes a similar approach in their level II courses.

Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 2:13pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Mimi asked some great questions here and I really thought they deserved their own thread so ideas could be shared:

Mimip wrote:

How do you plan a curriculum? I was planning on using Apologia because that is what I taught but I think my kids don't really like it, (not in the younger grades anyways)

Or do you do month baskets? If you do, how does that look as kids get older?

I also struggle to get it into the day. Do you do longer blocks of time a few days a week? or even once a week? I'm not talking about Nature Study here, we do that daily, but other things?KWIM?

Okay I'll stop now, Looking forward to the reponses

So....share your ideas for how you approach the sciences at home, especially:

** curriculum
** topics
** science baskets
** how do you fit it in the day?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 3:19pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Adding some of my thoughts/our approach, Mimi.

I don't generally set out to separate Nature Study from the sciences. In fact, I connect the two all the time. In this way, I consider that we are always approaching the Natural Sciences (Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Earth Sciences) when we are involved in observing the seasonal changes and offerings of nature. So, I suppose you could say this is our *default* setting.

Having said that, there are sometimes/often other science themes going on around here. Topics or themes are generally interest led and may spring from pertinent current events (for example, the Anniversary of the Moon Landing last year prompted a fun study of astronomy and lunar science) or another seasonal inspiration.

This year, my 4th grade son and I are having a grand time focusing on engineering (an Applied Science) by reading along with David Macauley's The Way Things Work and completing several projects using the K'nex kits that complement this book perfectly. We do have a library list of books that build on or offer more for each chapter of reading, but in general, we really just love reading together and then having 2 or 3 projects to work on each week. This study sprung from his desire to learn more about engineering.

Curriculum
I don't use a set curriculum. I do build reading lists and plan projects/extensions myself using living books. I have also really enjoyed using Science in a Nutshell by Holly Pierlot which is an appendix in CHC's Lesson Plan Guide for the Middle School Years. This resource is just general enough that I can use it as a skeleton and then allow living books to fill in the details and information.

Science Baskets
I do enjoy setting out/strewing a science theme in this way. Sometimes I set these out to reflect something we're studying, and other times these reflect the natural seasons. Right now, I have out a winter theme. We've just finished reading about plants in winter today. I set out the little pocket microscope the children received for Christmas with the winter books and they have enjoyed exploring winter plants today. I try to choose a couple of tools and a few very interesting books to strew on a theme. Another example would be a compass and map reading theme - we had lots of fun with this theme!!!! I set out Be Expert With Map and Compass (which I found recommended on Macbeth's site) and a couple of compass' for the kids to use. Their dad would set up *compass hunts* for them to practice their skills.

Fitting it in the day
We are always studying Natural History here, and many times a topic or theme of science as well. I build a place for it into our days. Most often, we read during the week, a little each day, and then if we're going to do an experiment or investigation that happens on Friday. If we're all investigating a theme together, such as our Winter Studies, I make a place during our Morning Basket during which time we are all together.

Just another way of doing this for you to consider, Mimi. HTH! I've been pondering this a good bit and how I will approach science using the same ideas and philosophy but in a way that allows my emerging high schooler to dig deeper and her studies to be richer, reflecting high school level work.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

AtHomeScience
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 8:22pm | IP Logged Quote AtHomeScience

Mimip wrote:

How do you plan a curriculum?

The approach I take is easy to modify to suit your own needs, but here is what I do.

I pick a broad subject for a year and explore aspects of it each term (or month if you like.) For example this year we are exploring Earth Science. We spent the first part of the year on geology. Now we're moving on to the structure of the earth. For the third term we'll look into weather.

Once I pick a focus I pull books from my own collection and then I browse the online library catalog to find other interesting books. Usually one of these books makes a good "spine" around which I can lesson plan; that sometimes is the same book that has good interesting activities/experiments. I look at programs to which I have subscribed (Discovery Streaming, ExploreLearning Gizmos) and I do a web search for interesting related material.

After sifting and choosing sites I lesson plan so I have some idea what I am doing each week. I do the same thing for nature studies 'cause it's an excuse to do science twice a week.

Mimip wrote:
I also struggle to get it into the day. Do you do longer blocks of time a few days a week? or even once a week?

We do "nature" once a week, just us, and "science" once a week with our small co-op. We also do World History and US History once a week each. Each of these 4 1 hour time blocks, with all the kids combined, comes at the end of the morning after doing Catechism, Math, and Language Arts with each child separately. My 3 boys are ages 10, 8, and 6 so all are in elementary school. Not sure how this will look as they get older.

I have tried several curricula over the years but I didn't like being set to their schedule, or I didn't like some of their book choices, or my boys wanted to explore something more, or my own wonderful books were going unused. I realized that I could design our own approach that even though it is more work it is a lot more fun.

Blessings,
Kris
At Home Science
Science of Relations
Back to Top View AtHomeScience's Profile Search for other posts by AtHomeScience Visit AtHomeScience's Homepage

folklaur
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 05 2010 at 10:12pm | IP Logged Quote folklaur

i don't know if this would be helpful or not...

..but we love, and i mean *love*, the ASK Science kits.

Everything is included. everything. (except water.)

Back to Top View folklaur's Profile Search for other posts by folklaur

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

Thanks for chiming in Ladies!

So I decided to really have a go at making Science part of my Nature study, much like Jen was saying and the kids are LOVING it!

We are going to stay up a bit later tonight and watch the sky since I started the Astronomy idea and the kids really got excited.

I added a science book to our morning basket just like our Nature Study books last semester. Now in the morning we visit the Night sky!

The kids and I are really learning and I am so happy to be using Science everyday with them.

Oh and Laura, those kits look great! I love dissection so I am buying that kit to use in the future

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 3:10pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

The Learning Calendarfor this year is Spectacular Science and we are really enjoying the daily facts and activities.

Other ways we do this is - my boys have the Physics Workshop and the book Jen mentioned The Way things Work. They also have circuit sets and magnetix sets. I like to think these work as science

Great thread (science is the Achilles heel of my homeschooling)- I am reading with interest - though I am not buying a single thing - the only unused curriculum in my house is boxes of science kits and curriculum and books. My aim is to somehow use these in any plans I make.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version