Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Repackaging gifts Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

How can I tastefully package used items to gives as gifts. For example, my brother asked for Duplos for their toddler, I have buckets of Duplos that are no longer being used that I would love to be able to gift to them. But how to do it without looking cheap?

Another nephew is getting to the Thomas the Tank engine stage, and again we have so many. I would love to gift him with track and trains from our stash.

Am I being cheap? My dh was appalled, but we are cash strapped and we have so much that we don't use.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 9:04am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I am doing a similar thing with Duplo, and I was thinking of sewing up a simple cloth bag and tying a ribbon around the top. You could also do that with a pillow case if you don't sew.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 9:14am | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Can you get a cute bucket from the dollar store?

You aren't being cheap.

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 9:26am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

It sounds like a wonderful idea to me. The kids certainly won't care that they're used

And my first thought was a cloth bag as well. Make it bigger than needed for what you're gifting and they can use it to hold all they get/have.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 9:55am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I'm one who would love a regifted item for my kids and I would love it even more if it came in its own storage container. I'm always meaning to make simple cloth bags for my kids' toys and I never get around to it.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

Thank you so much for the ideas. A bag was my thought also. I actually have Lego printed fabric! (The things I find when I start hunting in the basement )

I have the Duplos soaking in some soapy water so I can be sure they are squeaky clean.

MicheleQ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote MicheleQ

LeeAnn,

I think this is a great idea and really a show of good stewardship. How about one of those low containers that can go under a bed? I love those!

Back to Top View MicheleQ's Profile Search for other posts by MicheleQ Visit MicheleQ's Homepage

SeaStar
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 3:05pm | IP Logged Quote SeaStar

Just wanted to add that this is not a cheap idea- it is a very thoughtful idea that will bless another child. You could have taken the old toys and sold them. There is such happiness that comes from toys that are passed on.

I always look at it this way.... if someone wanted to give me nice toys for my kids for free, would I be offended? NO! I would be very grateful.

SQUILT Music Appreciation
Back to Top View SeaStar's Profile Search for other posts by SeaStar

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 3:09pm | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

We're repackaging our Thomas the Tank Engine track and train cars. I thought I would use an under the bed box as Michele suggests. I'm going to try to find an image of Thomas to put on the top. I haven't decided how to secure it. Maybe clear contact paper. The only thing I wanted to do, but can't thing of how, is box the train cars seperately, but contained in the larger bin with the track. Maybe just a smaller box with another Thomas picture on top.
Duplos are being repackaged here too. I was going to use a box for those as well, but I really like the bag idea!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

TracyFD
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 3:39pm | IP Logged Quote TracyFD

I just want to say that I totally agree that re-gifting is thoughtful and good stewardship but I feel that some people have been offended when I have passed things on. I still do it, just not at Christmastime. I've never been offended when friends have given us gently or even not-so-gently used items!

Good luck - the repackaging ideas sound great!

Pinewood Castle
Back to Top View TracyFD's Profile Search for other posts by TracyFD Visit TracyFD's Homepage

Kathryn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 3:49pm | IP Logged Quote Kathryn

I think the presentation of the gift will diminish anyone's perception that it's "used". Making the wrapping as nice and fancy as possible would be the way I would go. Wrapping in fabric can look really nice and with a big bow or ribbons dangling down w/ some shimmery and sparkly will certainly catch the little one's eyes. If you wanted you could add one new, very inexpensive item to the outside of the package like may be just a sheet of stickers or candy.

My 2 yo daughter was regifted a Loving Family playhouse w/ allll the pieces from our neighbor for her recent birthday.   Actually I was shocked because it was sooo valuable and worth so much more $$ than she would have ever spent had she just gone to the store. I thought it was an extremely generous and loving gesture. Hopefully that's how it works for you. You can regift something of far greater value than if you just went and bought him one new Thomas car so hopefully the parents will realize that.

sewcrazy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 15 2009 at 3:57pm | IP Logged Quote sewcrazy

For the Thomas I found a great navy blue wood box with a hinged lid, at Target in the clearance section for $4 that will work perfectly. I made 2 bags to go in the box, one for track and one for trains.

Becky Parker
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote Becky Parker

That sounds really neat LeeAnn. I wonder if all the Targets have them? I'm heading there this afternoon to check it out!

Back to Top View Becky Parker's Profile Search for other posts by Becky Parker

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 16 2009 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

We still have the bag for the wooden blocks my brother and I played with as a child. It's made of heavy-duty canvas with grommets for a drawstring.

My grandfather made some of the blocks for us in his garage - he actually sanded off all the corners so we wouldn't hurt ourselves with the blocks.

Later we added a set of colored blocks...

Duplos are a lovely gift - they last forever! And they encourage creativity!

Fe2h2o
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 17 2009 at 1:38am | IP Logged Quote Fe2h2o

Have you seen this Grab Bag pattern? It's really rocking my world at the moment:-)

It goes together really easily, and I've made quite a number half-sized, which is just right for a set of juggling balls/special treats, and the full size takes a set of treeblocks (I've been making my own).

I've doubled the pattern, and I mean to use that for storing some toys (I'm thinking they'll be great for some of those 'collections'—animals in animal print bags:-) ), and it might take a little bit of drafting, but I'm sure you could get it to a size that would take a pile of duplos.

For Puggle this last year, I made a playmat for his lego... basically a circle of material (well, two layers) with button holes regularly spaced around it and rope threaded through. He can play, then pull up the rope and it's a bag:-)

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 17 2009 at 7:37am | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

Fe2h2o wrote:
Have you seen this Grab Bag pattern? It's really rocking my world at the moment:-)

Very cute! Have you seen this wall pocket pattern? I saw it a couple of years ago, was determined to make it, and spent a few hours trying to find it again only to forget where it came from. Then, last month, when I was cleaning out my bookmarks, I found it! Joy! I think that a row of these on shaker pegs would be awesome in a playroom!

I'm planning to add extra flaps (?) with an optional drawstring, kind of like the llbean totes that have a zipper that can extend a bit higher than the bag or the bag can just be used as an open tote.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 17 2009 at 7:55am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I just love the patterns and links you gals are sharing here...storage organizers are my FAVORITE thing to sew!!! But did you doubt that???

Can I start a new thread????

I agree with everyone's assessment on the repackaging of gifts. I would absolutely welcome a gift like this!! And, everyone's suggestion to offer it in a bit of a personal "container" whether you sew it or find something unique (pillowcase) from around the house to use is exactly what I would do!

Off to add some links to special fabric storage in a new thread!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Dec 17 2009 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

New thread for ideas on handcrafted unique storage ideas - here. Please do share!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

stellamaris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 17 2009 at 8:21am | IP Logged Quote stellamaris

I don't know about anyone else's children, but my kids LOVE hand-me-downs. It is just so fun for them to think that cousin X or friend Y (usually an older and oh-so-cool person) played with these VERY SAME blocks or trains, or even wore the VERY SAME clothes. I think it brings a sense of connectedness, history, and warmth to the items that "new" just can't have. Each thing is not only itself, but also the story of the person who previously owned it; it is somewhat the way we feel about a cherished family heirloom. So, it's great stewardship and it's also very special for the children, too. Re-packaging the items with a special touch will make it lovely, too!

Flowing Streams
Back to Top View stellamaris's Profile Search for other posts by stellamaris Visit stellamaris's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version