Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Anyone want to go shoe shopping with me? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 4:44pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Virtually, of course

We live in a city and walk everywhere for daily life and I'd like to get into more longer walks with the kids during the day. But my only "winter" shoes are Dansko clogs with open backs. I love, love, love Dansko shoes and I sort of have my eye on these Mary Janes (on sale somewhere, of course). They seem to have a bit more of an athletic bottom and a bit lower heel than my clogs which can sometimes be less steady than I want while out with the kids.

Any other shoes you all like? My requirements are:
great arch support
black
non slip-on (I need good security)
good for distance walking
while carrying a baby
and chasing a toddler
looks nice-ish with skirts (tennis shoes are out)

And a great price certainly wouldn't hurt but cost is not my primary concern.

[]

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 4:54pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Oh, I'm all about shoe shopping, Susan!!! And I was so excited to see your Mary Janes because I LOVE Mary Janes - in fact I have two pair of Dansko Mary Janes that I love!!!!! BUT.....your link goes to a Svan high chair.

Show me your shoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 4:55pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

are you looking for a winter shoe? waterproof, warm lined? and the like? or just a basic shoe..

If you want a good winter boot I would recommend the knee high winter boots I have.. they're PRETTY.. look great with skirts, I can tuck thin pants into them or wear regular leg pants over them.. they work great for snow and ice though crunching through ice crusted snow would likely mar the leather. They do have a bit of a heel but I find them to be good and stable and can wear them all day on my feet.

Here they are at Amazon Merrell Spire Peak boots

BUT I found them at a store where I could get a nice discount coupon and got them for about 25% off the list price.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 5:00pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh and since you are shoe shopping.. if anyone can find a cheap pair of ankle lace up boots like these.. for a good bit less than $60 I would really love a new pair but $60 is steep when they're not a *need*. I also would want black.

And Susan, these look great with skirts and are generally easy to move in but since mine are old and beat down, and I haven't found a pair to try I couldn't speak to the support.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Babs
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote Babs

Susan,

I have similar shoe requirements and really like Dansko. One other brand that I find comfortable for my foot is Naot. My feet love them. Not sure if they make what you are looking for but it might give you a few more choices. I can't help with a suggestion because I can't wear shoes with a back or even a back strap. Have fun shopping!

God Bless,
Barb
Back to Top View Babs's Profile Search for other posts by Babs

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 5:08pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Link fixed! Sorry--I was writing about our high chair in another thread and forgot to double check.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 5:13pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Jodie,

Actually I'd really love some boots and I got a great response a couple years back when I asked about boot shopping. Then we sort of decided not to spend the money. But dh is a supporter of good shoes and knows I've been patiently putting off boots for a couple years so I might be able to swing it this year. But I also want Mary Jane-type shoes for the transitional seasons and I'm not sure which is higher priority right now.

Also I have really wide calves. Even when I'm a healthy weight my calves are really thick. Hm, though I just quick checked the reviews and the very top one seems like these would be a good bet for me. Thanks for the tip. Now I just have to decide which kind of shoe I want more this year!

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 7:07pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

I'm a big Dansko fan, too. I also love Keens, and I have a pair of these that I really love. They did rub the backs of my heels when I first got them, but now that they are broken in, I can wear them all day long. Mine are the Orion Blue.

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Those are nice Keens. I have a pair of Keen sandals and they are super-comfortable but I find the arch support to be not quite enough for all day. Also dh thinks closed-toe Keens are really stupid looking. Doesn't help in the "should I buy another pair of shoes" conversations

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 9:44pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I have 2 pairs (different colors) of Dansko Margretes and I love them! I do a lot of walking in them and it's the only wear-everywhere shoe I have that will tackle anything and not give me foot trouble. I need really good arch support and a good design in a shoe.

I'd like to get another pair for the winter - last year, I just wore my Margretes through the winter with dark tights and it worked. I'm torn though. I like the Kate's which you linked to, but I also like the Marcelle. My gripe about that one is that it seems too clunky. Then, I like the Sally which looks basically like what I have now, but with a closed back. I like that I know my foot responds to the build of this shoe...but it's not a winter shoe AT ALL! I DO love the Risa Boot.

On to another brand which I'm thinking of considering...a few very good friends of mine swear by Merrells. I think these Plaza Bandeaus are cute. I wear a lot of chocolate browns in the winter (and I wear skirts pretty much all the time) so I like a shoe that looks feminine and pairs well with chocolate brown tights. I think these would be cute. The Plaza Flaunt looks nice! (Can you tell I'm a sucker for Mary Janes? I just think they're so feminine and feel so secure on your foot so I love em!) I ADORE these little ballet flats - but I'm not looking for black shoes. Still...they look so pretty! Wouldn't they be adorable with a grey wool or a black skirt for winter?

I'm watching your thread closely, Susan! I really need to make a decision about a good winter shoe as well! I'd love to have a really good everyday brown boot...but I don't know if I could do a good shoe...and a good boot. Anyway, I'll be watching...

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Red Cardigan
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 13 2009 at 10:34pm | IP Logged Quote Red Cardigan

My winter shoe requirements are similar to yours, and I eventually went with these Skechers. Sometimes you can find them on sale for a little less than this, but when I wanted black ones (as opposed to a print or pattern) I paid about that much.

They wear well, are as comfortable as tennis shoes, but look good with long skirts--I even wear them to Mass, esp. if I'm cantoring and don't want to worry about tripping over my own feet! The only thing I couldn't say for sure is whether they have much arch support--it's enough for me, but I can't say whether they're super-supportive or not.

With these and a pair of flat-heeled boots I bought years ago on sale and which appear to be indestructible, I'm usually set for winter!

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Love the Plaza Bandeaus that Jen linked above. I SO wished I needed them. But, I have a pair of Dansko Mary Janes that are just fine, so I can't really justify them. Shoot. Unfortunately all my Danskos last FOREVER!!!!!!

I really like my shorter riding black riding boots that I got about 5 years ago. They are really comfortable and I walk everywhere in them.

I'm thinking about Dansko Deliah Boot-knee-high cuz I have a couple skirts that don't look good with the shorter boot, and it's getting harder and harder to find longer winter skirts...(remind me to start a thread on this at some point...have a bunch of links to share).
I have a pair of cheap-dressy-black-heel-knee-high-boots, but I can only wear them for Church/dress-up...they are NOT comfortable, but BOY, do they LOOK GOOD!

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

SusanJ wrote:
Actually I'd really love some boots and I got a great response a couple years back when I asked about boot shopping.
Yes, I remember that.... ..... I went a little shopping-link-crazy with that one, didn't I, Susan???        

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

SuzanneG wrote:
SusanJ wrote:
Actually I'd really love some boots and I got a great response a couple years back when I asked about boot shopping.
Yes, I remember that.... ..... I went a little shopping-link-crazy with that one, didn't I, Susan???        

Actually, Suzanne, this thread was just a more polite way of asking you to research shoes for me again

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 10:06am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

SusanJ wrote:
Actually, Suzanne, this thread was just a more polite way of asking you to research shoes for me again

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 11:28am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

SuzanneG wrote:
I have a pair of cheap-dressy-black-heel-knee-high-boots, but I can only wear them for Church/dress-up...they are NOT comfortable, but BOY, do they LOOK GOOD!

I have a pair of those too! I bought a wonderful pair of Clarks clogs a few weeks ago at an upscale consignment shop - loved 'em, paid $6 for them, the dog chewed them up. So, guess I'm shoe shopping too...

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

CandaceC
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 12:00pm | IP Logged Quote CandaceC

Susan, I LOVE those Dansko Mary Jane's! I've been looking for brown shoes for fall/winter to go with jeans/khakis and those may be my favorites thus far! Thanks for sharing!! :)

This pair was a pair I was looking at earlier, til you posted those Dansko's.

LL Bean Mary Jane's

I haven't ever ordered LL Bean shoes though, not sure of the comfort aspect.

His Mercy Is New
Back to Top View CandaceC's Profile Search for other posts by CandaceC Visit CandaceC's Homepage

Waverley
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 12:25pm | IP Logged Quote Waverley

I too really like the first pair of Danskos you linked too Susan.

If you are buying Dansko first the first time in a while you should definitely try them on. The company that owns the patent on the Dansko hard soled shoe and supplied Dansko for years no longer sells to Dansko. So, the Dansko sole is not the same as it was several years ago. Dansko has come up with a similar sole of their own but you should try the shoe on.

The company that owns the sole patent is called Sanita. They now sell their own shoes under the name Sanita. I have purchased several pairs of Sanita brand shoes and they have held up every bit as well as the Danskos I have had forever.

Hope that helps.

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

THanks for the info Waverley!
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 14 2009 at 2:05pm | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

Thanks for that tip, Waverley. I have some old clogs that were given to me and some newer sandals. I hadn't noticed a real difference but I'll look into that.

Page of 5 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version