Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Good shoes? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Matilda
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 23 2009 at 1:57pm | IP Logged Quote Matilda

I have a question about what kind of shoes are considered "good shoes". This thread got me thinking about it. Would you mind sharing with me what makes a shoe a good shoe? What about brands and styles (loafers, sandals, dressy)?

I know that New Balance is a good, supportive tennis shoe that fits my ginormous size 10 feet but I am looking for some dressier shoes for Church and other functions.

Waltzing Matilda
Back to Top View Matilda's Profile Search for other posts by Matilda

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 23 2009 at 2:19pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I like this store Footprints

I got Sanita seconds there (the European brand for Dansko), and they are supportive and fit like a clog.

I wear birkenstocks all summer long.

I want a shoe that will be supportive and good for my feet. It should keep my feet warm in winter. Good shoes also last forever and often are able to be re-soled to last even longer without investing in a brand new pair. I have chilblains that I'm convinced were caused by boots that pinched my toes when I was pregnant in winter with my first. It is miserable, and was preventable if I had just bitten the bullet and gotten good shoes.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2009 at 2:27pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

I for dressier shoes, I really like my Dansko shoes. I have a pair of Professional Clogs and a pair of Sally shoes (I think that's what they are called). They are so comfortable! I wear them for church and any other dressier occasion. They were certainly worth the price.

By the way, I'm a size 10 or 11, depending on the shoe. In the Danskos, I'm a EU 41. The shoes are dressy without making my feet look huge :)

God bless,
Christine

Betsy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2009 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote Betsy

cvbmom wrote:
I for dressier shoes, I really like my Dansko shoes. I have a pair of Professional Clogs and a pair of Sally shoes (I think that's what they are called). They are so comfortable! I wear them for church and any other dressier occasion. They were certainly worth the price.

By the way, I'm a size 10 or 11, depending on the shoe. In the Danskos, I'm a EU 41. The shoes are dressy without making my feet look huge :)

God bless,
Christine

I could have wrote this...except I have the Merrie's. I consider these and the professional's to be "good shoes". Dansko's dress shoes are more comfortable than other dress shoes, but not work all day in type shoes. With that being said, I own some of their older style strappy dress shoes and I love them (for an hour or two)!

Betsy
Back to Top View Betsy's Profile Search for other posts by Betsy

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 23 2009 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

I get my shoes from The Walking Company, which has a nearby store. I wear Dansko and Mephisto. Mephisto makes very comfortable sandals. I have very flat feet, and metatarsal arch problems. The cork beds are very helpful, as are the Dansko shoes.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

PDyer
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2009 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote PDyer

Most of the time I wear Merrell, Mephisto, Josef Seibel and Munro shoes. I have joint problems (a systemic problem) and wearing less flexible, less supportive shoes causes me pain after an hour or so.

Oh, Asics tennis shoes too.

ETA I find good shoes by trial and error. I've found expensive shoes that hurt like crazy, but I've found far more inexpensive shoes that hurt like crazy.

Back to Top View PDyer's Profile Search for other posts by PDyer Visit PDyer's Homepage

Nina
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 23 2009 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote Nina

I LOVE Aerosoles They are both stylish and so comfortable. I used to wear this brand when I worked in downtown Chicago and had many blocks to walk to get to the office.
Back to Top View Nina's Profile Search for other posts by Nina

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2009 at 5:56pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

A good shoe is one that is wide enough and has enough arch support. I like Dansko clogs in the winter and have gotten some great dressy sandals (on sale!) from Easy Spirit recently.

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2009 at 7:28pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

Does anyone have and like Doc Martens? I've been thinking about getting some for a while. My husband has had some for over 5 yrs and he loves them.

wamegomom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 23 2009 at 8:57pm | IP Logged Quote wamegomom

I, too, love Merrills and Josef Seibel. This summer I have lived in my Ecco sandals and have had no foot pain for the first time in many summers. I'm theirs for life!

Mary Alice in Kansas
Back to Top View wamegomom's Profile Search for other posts by wamegomom

SaraP
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2009 at 9:00pm | IP Logged Quote SaraP

mary theresa wrote:
Does anyone have and like Doc Martens?

Yes! I have had these for 3 or 4 years and I love them. They are really comfortable and absolutely indestructable. On the down side they're not particularly feminine and because they are so heavy and thick-soled I find I have to be extra careful not to trod on any little fingers or toes when I wear them.

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2009 at 7:29am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

We always get good shoes because we have always lived in cities and typically walk at least 1-2 miles every day while wearing a baby. Dh commutes on foot. A good shoe for me is one I can walk in all day, one that will stand up to that kind of use, one that can be repaired, one that looks reasonably nice. I like Danskos quite a bit and do find them to be great all day shoes. The only thing I don't love about them is that it's hard to run in them because the heels tend to be higher. I don't "go for a run" in regular shoes, of course, but I need to be able to dart after a two-year old on a busy street without spraining my ankle.

I got these Keen sandals on sale this year. I wish they had a bit more arch support but I mostly love them. I've had Doc Marten Mary Jane's for years but I've needed more arch support since my second baby so I've favored the arch support of Dansko clogs for the most part.

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2009 at 7:34am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

SusanJ wrote:
I got these Keen sandals on sale this year. I wish they had a bit more arch support but I mostly love them. I've had Doc Marten Mary Jane's for years but I've needed more arch support since my second baby so I've favored the arch support of Dansko clogs for the most part.

My mother got the Keen sandals for this summer (a trip to Disney World) and just is in heaven. But she doesn't need the arch support, so I'm nodding my head in agreement with you.

That Walking Company site I listed above is helpful because you can choose your foot problem, or just "Ultimate Comfort" to find the most supportive and comfortable shoe. For someone who had to wear orthopedic oxfords when she was a girl, I'm thrilled I have more choices.

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

4 lads mom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2009 at 7:54am | IP Logged Quote 4 lads mom

Has anyone heard of "Finn Comfort" I would link, but I haven't gotten the linky thingy yet....I know, I KNOW!!! My husband has the flatest feet ever, and needs a knee replacement already..he got some Finn Comfort shoes, and can't believe the difference. He usually buys nice shoes, but these are IT!! I tried on a pair, but they are a little expensive!

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 01 2009 at 1:11pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

4 lads mom wrote:
Has anyone heard of "Finn Comfort" I would link, but I haven't gotten the linky thingy yet....I know, I KNOW!!! My husband has the flatest feet ever, and needs a knee replacement already..he got some Finn Comfort shoes, and can't believe the difference. He usually buys nice shoes, but these are IT!! I tried on a pair, but they are a little expensive!

I just went back to the shoe store (The Walking Company) and bought two pairs of sandals. These are the same kind I bought 3 years ago. I have had good support for two summers, but I wore out the support in the shoes and this summer my feet were killing me (then it's my legs and back), so it was time to replace. I have Mephisto Helen and Dansko Sela Pull Up. I'm boringly consistent -- but when I looked around for other choices there really weren't many others in classic colors.

I could probably contend for flat feet contests. When I asked what brands are good support, the answer is always a shoe that has visible and support you can feel. The cork bed shoes like Mephisto, Birkenstock, and Finn were the ones she named, and then Dansko that is non cork. But there are different lines within a brand, and you need to get the ones that have the most support.

Having my feet not hurt is a priority in my life. I take a twist on the old saying: "If Mama's feet aren't happy, then no one is happy!"

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 10:05am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

Hmmm - when I was in Italy I got a pair of Memphisto sandals and LOVED them (until one disappeared). I have a pair of Birkenstock's that aren't as pretty or comfortable (I have narrow feet and their "narrow" is not as narrow as I need). I guess I never thought of "expensive shoes" as a luxury before because they don't make cheap shoes that stay on my feet! I've always worn New Balance tennis shoes. My mom always bought me Naturalizers but I found a a pair of Clarks (Artisan Collection) in narrow for my most recent pair of shoes. I'll have to see what Dansko has in narrow...

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 10:11am | IP Logged Quote JennGM

Stephanie_Q wrote:
Hmmm - when I was in Italy I got a pair of Memphisto sandals and LOVED them (until one disappeared). I have a pair of Birkenstock's that aren't as pretty or comfortable (I have narrow feet and their "narrow" is not as narrow as I need). I guess I never thought of "expensive shoes" as a luxury before because they don't make cheap shoes that stay on my feet! I've always worn New Balance tennis shoes. My mom always bought me Naturalizers but I found a a pair of Clarks (Artisan Collection) in narrow for my most recent pair of shoes. I'll have to see what Dansko has in narrow...

Stephanie, I hear you! I have narrow feet, although they are bit wider since my pregnancies, but still fall into narrow category. I used to have to buy AA and AAA widths and spend an arm and a leg.

Dansko is not narrow. They are the shoe of choice for pregnancy, but I'm finding the stapled clog are a bit large on my feet. I've had to go down a size to have the shoes fit better (I'm between 37 and 38, but it seems there aren't half sizes in Euro). They aren't made to fit like a glove though; it's a different fit.

But the sandals have some straps to adjust which are nice to have.

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Answering OP:

I wear Crocs Caymen in my house.

I wear good brand of sneaker - NIKE right now - when I exercise.

I picked up a pair of Natural Soul by Naturalizer at the local Famous Footware when they were on sale.

I recently purchased shoes online for the first time and am very happy with the service. I purchased some Crocs then received a coupon for 20% off next purchase so I puchased these cute black flats by Sketcher

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

stacykay
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 12:52pm | IP Logged Quote stacykay

Charlotte,
from one size 10 to another!

For me, a good shoe is one that fits well, and at the end of the day, my feet don't hurt.

I recently went shoe-shopping after years of tennies (New Balance) only. I got a pair of San Antonio Shoes, which I can wear for an entire, very busy, and active day and my feet still feel great! It's actually this shoe. (These are what I usually wear to church.)

I also got one pair of "dressier" shoes, which are here. I needed something a little more dressy for special occasions, but I cannot wear any high sort of heel, and these are great. (I bought these to wear to my #2ds's high school graduation and all the functions before it.)

So, I own these two "dress" shoes, and two pairs of New Balance, and one pair of winter boots. Is that about average for a homeschooling mom?

God Bless,
Stacy in MI
Back to Top View stacykay's Profile Search for other posts by stacykay

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version