Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: Tour de France this year? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 16 2009 at 9:06pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

A few years ago we worked together at 4Real to follow the Tour and learn a little more about France and its cuisine.

(Here's the thread:
Following the Tour de France)

Our family has done this several years in a row. It's become a tradition. Well, I thought I would let this drop this year to conserve my energy...but I don't think my kids will let me. (I mentioned this at dinner tonight and received a lot of ) On top of that, my uncle dropped off the official magazine of the Tour because he knows we like to follow it.

The race begins on July 4th in Monaco. Interestingly this year, the race doesn't go through Brittany or Normandy. (Two of our favorite recipe regions. ) But the race is going to Barcelona (bring on the paella!) and to Switzerland. So maybe we'll be happy about this.

Here's the official site:
Tour de France

We don't have TV reception. We just "follow" the race through the regions of France with a map, recipes and maybe some books.

Another thread: Gathering Information about France

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 16 2009 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Thanks for bring this up, Helen. I'll ask my dh and children if they are following the race this year...I'm always up for cuisine .

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2009 at 2:00am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

What a great idea, Helen. I know that the boys will love it since it involves sports. And like Angie, the girls will love the cuisine. It will give us a chance to learn a bit more about our neighbor.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 17 2009 at 2:20am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Helen wrote:
A few years ago we worked together at 4Real to follow the Tour and learn a little more about France and its cuisine.

That was a great collaborative effort- we really enjoyed being a part of that.

Quote:
The race begins on July 4th in Monaco. Interestingly this year, the race doesn't go through Brittany or Normandy. (Two of our favorite recipe regions. ) But the race is going to Barcelona (bring on the paella!) and to Switzerland. So maybe we'll be happy about this.

Sounds more like the Tour de Europe this year...

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 17 2009 at 6:55am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

We are such HUGE FANS OF THE TOUR!!!! Thanks for bumping this for me, Helen...it was on my list to dig up today!

Looks like it's time to get out the big map of Europe!!!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

SylviaB
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 17 2009 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote SylviaB

What a great idea!
We had so much fun following the Iditarod this year I think we would love this!
Back to Top View SylviaB's Profile Search for other posts by SylviaB

Janet
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 17 2009 at 7:53am | IP Logged Quote Janet

Oohhh! I never thought of doing cuisine before. I'm going to have to pull out the stage maps and my cookbooks. We do have our TdF flag ready to hang out off the deck, and we always have champagne to sip during the final stage (then there was the one year when my husband was sipping champagne at the finish line, after having gotten a chance earlier in the day to ride a team bike, in team kit, along the Champs Elysees. Have pretty much forgiven him for that )

We love the Tour and the other stage races for a whole lot of reason (I recently blogged about why.)

Back to Top View Janet's Profile Search for other posts by Janet

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2009 at 8:12am | IP Logged Quote Helen

Janet wrote:
Oohhh! I never thought of doing cuisine before. I'm going to have to pull out the stage maps and my cookbooks.

I found that using a Regional French Cookbook was the easiest way to match recipes to the race. I wanted to find a link for the cookbook we love for this study. It may be out of print now.

Le Cordon Bleu Home Collection
Regional French

Originally I found it in the library. It is a small cookbook with big pictures and the recipes are grouped by region.

Le Cordon Bleu also has cooking videos in our library. We enjoyed them.

SylviaB wrote:
What a great idea!
We had so much fun following the Iditarod this year I think we would love this!
I hope to pull off following the Iditarod next year. I looked over the materials and rented an Iditarod movie from Netflix. I think I'll be in better shape next year for Alaska. I had a bit of learning curve to overcome!

Back to Top View Helen's Profile Search for other posts by Helen Visit Helen's Homepage

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 17 2009 at 9:51am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Janet wrote:
then there was the one year when my husband was sipping champagne at the finish line, after having gotten a chance earlier in the day to ride a team bike, in team kit, along the Champs Elysees. Have pretty much forgiven him for that

Ok...I must know more! Pretty please, Janet?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Janet
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 17 2009 at 4:41pm | IP Logged Quote Janet

Mackfam wrote:

Ok...I must know more! Pretty please, Janet?

Dh does a lot of global travel, and a few years ago had a weekend in Belgium with no scheduled meetings - it happened to be the last weekend of the Tour. He contacted someone he knew who was an employee of team sponsor and asked if it might be possible to get to see the final stage. He was told to come to a reception on Sat evening, and that he'd get a pass for the stands near the finish line. (Cool!) At the reception, someone he was talking with "upgraded" him from the stands to the sponsor tables right at the finish line (even more cool!). While at the reception he had fun talking with some of the team mechanics who said "Well, you are coming along on the ride in the morning, aren't you?" Which is how he wound up riding a team bike, in team kit (got to bring home the bibs, jersey, etc.) on the streets of Paris that morning, and sitting at the finish line that afternoon. He would have had dinner with the riders that night, but had to catch a train to his next destination. Still, a true fantasy weekend for a cycling fanatic - wish I could have been there myself, but so happy that dh got to do that!   (he also got to catch a stage of the Giro that year - came home with tons of cool swag for the kids).    
Back to Top View Janet's Profile Search for other posts by Janet

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 17 2009 at 9:02pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Janet - that is such an awesome story!!!! What a lucky, lucky guy your husband is! I'm so glad you shared it with us! Thank you!!!!! I was just so curious!!!

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2009 at 10:54pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Helen
I was just thinking the other day how much I enjoyed my assignment (Provence) and reading all the other entries. we never followed the Tour before or since but I may just get out the map and do the saints and food for some areas.
Thanks for linking the original thread!

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 18 2009 at 4:46pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Usually I use a large, desk calendar to write in the stage numbers and locations. I think Jennifer's post-it-note style of organizing could help this study. It sounds like a good way to organize recipes. Write recipes on post it notes and then match up the regions and days.

Making sense?

momwise wrote:
Helen
I was just thinking the other day how much I enjoyed my assignment (Provence) and reading all the other entries. we never followed the Tour before or since but I may just get out the map and do the saints and food for some areas.
Thanks for linking the original thread!

Hi Gwen! Nice to hear from you again!!

cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 22 2009 at 11:44am | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

For other newbies to the tour: Here is a free unit study on the tour:
http://www.homeschool-curriculum-for-life.com/support-files/ tour-de-france-unit-study.pdf
It is older but provides lapbook instructions and some good websites including this one I found helpful:
Tour de France lapbook

My french grandmother recently passed away and my mom is sending info about where her family immigrated from---I love summer school!

Laura
Back to Top View cheesehead mom's Profile Search for other posts by cheesehead mom

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 22 2009 at 12:02pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Laura...link fairy here ...I visited your first link to try to make it active, but it doesn't work. Searching their site I found this unit study of the Tour de France --- is this what you were linking to, Laura??? It looks great!

I fixed your second link, too.

cheesehead mom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 22 2009 at 1:52pm | IP Logged Quote cheesehead mom

Thanks Jennifer, those are the links!

Laura
Back to Top View cheesehead mom's Profile Search for other posts by cheesehead mom

momwise
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2010 at 4:03pm | IP Logged Quote momwise

Bumping this up for a new year! Looks like most of the links are working great and here's a new one for this year's route

The race begins July 3. It looks like only a few stages are in Belgium and the rest are all in France.

In past years I've read A Tour de France Companion and French Revolutions: Cycling the Tour de France

I'd love to have some new book titles for both me and the kids.

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 17 2010 at 9:41pm | IP Logged Quote Helen

Last year my uncle gave me the Tour de France magazine. It had all the stages with info on the towns. I've been thinking that I need to pop over to amazon and order myself one for this year.

I haven't made any plans yet but hope to try to follow along again even if very loosely.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: June 18 2010 at 12:42pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Helen wrote:
Last year my uncle gave me the Tour de France magazine. It had all the stages with info on the towns. I've been thinking that I need to pop over to amazon and order myself one for this year.

I haven't made any plans yet but hope to try to follow along again even if very loosely.

Helen,
Do you know a name of the magazine? Or a link? I looked yesterday, but I couldn't find anything but previous years' magazines. A resource like this would be helpful and enjoyed by all here. Thanks.

We're excited, as always, to follow along with the Tour this year.

Helen
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 21 2010 at 7:17am | IP Logged Quote Helen

Mackfam wrote:
Helen,
Do you know a name of the magazine? Or a link? I looked yesterday, but I couldn't find anything but previous years' magazines. A resource like this would be helpful and enjoyed by all here. Thanks.

We're excited, as always, to follow along with the Tour this year.

While I was in Buffalo, NY this weekend visiting family, I found the magazine in the Tops supermarket! It is published by Velonews. You might be able to find it at a local bookstore.I did a quick internet search and did find a link to a Colorado bicycle store. Do you have a special bike store near you?

Velonews Official Guide to the 2010 Tour de France

Each team and stage has a page. I read a few of the articles. There are interesting, candid interviews of some of the riders. FYI...the magazine includes the use of common language which you may not want a younger child to read.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version