Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Baseball Moms Unite! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
LisaR
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 17 2010 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote LisaR

thomas's CUB'S are still undefeated! he's the starting pitcher tonight- think the heat index is something like 97??
we go til the playoffs July 24th- so quite a ways to go.
either the world cup horns have gotten softer, or I am now partially deaf- I think we have watched at least part, if not all, of every game but one!!

Paul 14
Thomas 11
Dominic 8
Maria Gianna 5
Isaac Vincent 9/21/10! and...
many little saints in heaven!
Back to Top View LisaR's Profile Search for other posts by LisaR

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 29 2010 at 12:51am | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

How is the post season going for everyone?

I know you baseball-loving moms will think this is cool.

I was at Mass yesterday and a local homeschooling mom and I were talking. Baseball came up (her son is in All-Stars).

I found out that her brother was the coach for the Chula Vista team that won the World Series last year and her nephew was on the team!! The tallest one out there, I think! Chula Vista is a pretty big city just south of San Diego proper. It's all San Diego to me, but Chula Vista is actually a real city. :)

How cool is that!!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

mamasue
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 19 2010 at 1:44pm | IP Logged Quote mamasue

Hello fellow baseball moms!! Anyone else have kids playing in a fall league? I think I may be losing my marbles considering I just signed up 4 kids to play this fall- on 3 different teams. This spring I had 3 playing on 2 teams... Plus I'll have a 2 and 1 yr old on the sidelines
So any tips because come aug 30 I will need all the advise I can get
thanks!!
Suzette
Back to Top View mamasue's Profile Search for other posts by mamasue

Lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 19 2010 at 5:51pm | IP Logged Quote Lori

We are in that "transition stage" for our 12 yr old...he's a good player, but not a superstar league dominator. His birthday falls in summer, which makes him eligible for last spring's play level again, but most/all of his friends are too old for it.

Trying to figure out what to do with him...travel ball? Pony League? It's tough! Too many options!

We haven't done fall league for our younger boys yet...they still enjoy breaking up the sports year with soccer in the fall.
Back to Top View Lori's Profile Search for other posts by Lori

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 20 2010 at 12:15am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Erica Sanchez wrote:
How is the post season going for everyone?

We aren't in post season yet. We usually have a season that goes to mid-July and if they make the all-star team then it goes potentially until mid-August. So this year our 10 year old is on the league all-star team. Funny that Erica is the one asking about this because ironically a VERY COOL thing for us was that the weekend before last Erica (along with a few of her children) was HERE for our Catholic homeschool conference. Since she stayed an extra day she went with our family to ds's area tournament game final game. It was a blast having her there.

Our team won that game and this weekend we have been in (VERY HOT) NE Colorado for the State Cal Ripkin/Babe Ruth tournament. Lost the first game so have had to fight back through the losers bracket. We beat the last undefeated team today and since it's double elimination we play them again tomorrow. The winner will be state champion and will go on to the regional tournament in Boonesville, MO next week.

Lori wrote:
Trying to figure out what to do with him...travel ball? Pony League? It's tough! Too many options!

With all our sons (over the past 13 years) we have been affiliated with Babe Ruth League baseball (it's Cal Ripkin in the U12 ages) and have been very happy with the program.

mamasue wrote:
Hello fellow baseball moms!! Anyone else have kids playing in a fall league?

Generally we only do spring and/or summer leagues. My older boys did play fall ball when they were in high school, but at younger ages that was the time for other sports like soccer if they chose to do so.

And I've been thinking about this thread recently as I'd love to get back to a discussion of baseball experiences and what it has taught us. An area not discussed so far is the "darker" side of it. Anyone else a coaches wife and had to deal with the specific issues that come with that (parent complaints, league politics, etc.)? I'd love some support in that area but no time to write more now. Got to get to bed - since our team plays at 10 AM tomorrow.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: July 20 2010 at 12:20am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Erica Sanchez wrote:
I found out that her brother was the coach for the Chula Vista team that won the World Series last year and her nephew was on the team!! The tallest one out there, I think! Chula Vista is a pretty big city just south of San Diego proper. It's all San Diego to me, but Chula Vista is actually a real city. :)

How cool is that!!

And that is cool, Erica!! My cousin's son was on the Beaverton, OR team that made it to the semi-finals of the 2006 World Series. Seeing them all (they would show the family in the stands) on TV was really cool.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 20 2010 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

MaryM wrote:
So this year our 10 year old is on the league all-star team. Funny that Erica is the one asking about this because ironically a VERY COOL thing for us was that the weekend before last Erica (along with a few of her children) was HERE for our Catholic homeschool conference. Since she stayed an extra day she went with our family to ds's area tournament game final game. It was a blast having her there.

It was sooooooo much fun to be at the conference and then get to see Mary's son play. He was great! I hope they win and go onto regionals!!

Back to Top View Erica Sanchez's Profile Search for other posts by Erica Sanchez

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 23 2010 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Here is a video I think you Catholic baseball mommas might enjoy - makes an analogy between the great game of baseball (a specific feature of the diamond) and our Faith. It's something they put together at Franciscan U. for their youth conferences. And, well, I'm kinda partial to the player sliding into home, so it makes it pretty special for me.    He's my second baseman.

Welcome Home video on YouTube.

Our Domestic Church

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 23 2010 at 8:08pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

I'm a total softie for baseball analogies, metaphors, and comparisons of all types <--- happy tears .

And I'm a big fan of 2nd basemen .

Thanks, Mary.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 05 2011 at 4:49pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Baseball Bubble Letters!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Erica Sanchez
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2011 at 1:33pm | IP Logged Quote Erica Sanchez

I am not going to be a baseball mom this year.

Nick doesn't want to play. We think it's because he will move up to majors and it will be a little 'much' for him. He also was hit with the baseball last season and the black eye that followed was really bad. He was playing second base, actually! I think he's been afraid of the ball since. :(

I'm disappointed, but at the same time looking forward to a little more free time this spring. He's playing basketball right now and two of my girls will play volleyball, so we're not totally sportless. :)

MelissaClaire
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 14 2011 at 2:02pm | IP Logged Quote MelissaClaire

It's sign up time again! I'm really looking forward to this season. Fall ball was a lot with the boys in different leagues (tball and Aball) but I think this Spring they'll let my 5 year old move up to A Ball so that will be one less team schedule to deal with. (VERY good with a new baby joining us 2 weeks into the season!) And the boys love playing with each other. With one at short and the other at first they turn a lot of double plays and it's so fun to watch. I'm a little worried about him feeling bad striking out though.
Back to Top View MelissaClaire's Profile Search for other posts by MelissaClaire

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 07 2011 at 12:27pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Oh Erica, I'm sorry that Nick was hurt...and each of my boys has had to deal with that fear. A reasonable fear of the ball is a good and prudent thing! For selfish reasons, I hope you find your way back to baseball but no matter what, once a baseball mom, always a baseball mom .

Melissa Claire, have a great season and God bless you with your new baby! I remember sitting with John Paul as a newborn at All Star games...and boy was it HOT! That's when I learned how to whistle, because my hands were full and I couldn't clap as easily .

I posted at WPTTL that my oldest ds is trying out for high school ball:

Angie Mc wrote:
It's the big day! All D-1 schools in our area start tryouts today...the weather is perfect    

To edit my OP, the tryouts will be 3 days, today through Wednesday, between 3:00 and 6:00 p.m.

Are there any other players trying out this week/month?

Who else is playing ball this spring at any level, TBall to the Majors ?

Thanks for praying for my ballplayer, and I'm praying for yours

Love,

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 07 2011 at 3:17pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

I'm going to be a baseball mom this year again, for the first time in a long time... and I'm both excited and a little anxious! I have 4   (when did that happen??) signed up this year -- softball, coach pitch, and my twins are old enough for t-ball!

At least the twins will be on the same team!

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 08 2011 at 9:33am | IP Logged Quote Lori

We have a 12 yr old on a semi-club team, and my 8 and 9 yr olds on a "minors" team together (hubby tried to split them up this year, but when it came down to schedules and who would be doing the majority of practice pick-up/drop-off, he acquiesced and put them on the same team/level), and my dear daughter will be starting her first year of softball! Practice every night the rest of this week, for somebody, somewhere!   

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 1:16pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Angela and Lori, off to the baseball races we go!

Praise God that after a long stretch of losses, my 12yo's team came in 2nd in a big tourney this weekend - YEA! I don't know who is more exhausted, the victor or the mother . Lori, if your ds finds his way to a tourney in the valley via Big League Dreams, let us know! Also, sometimes we find ourselves at Rio Vista and other Glendale-ish spots.

Love,

Lori
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote Lori

Angie, we're playing with the Jim Teeter league (otherwise known as AZ Playball, I believe?)...we don't do too many tournaments right now, but maybe we'll start...we're at a crossroads of keeping the team together because it's a group of friends who've played together for awhile, and trying to see if we can change things up a bit and get more competitive. And I think my heart and my dh's are leaning in different directions!

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 03 2011 at 2:58pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Check out this find...a new book Diamond Dishes...baseball fans and foodies unite! Oh, baby,...I'm both .

Check out the players included:

Quote:
Lance Berkman, St. Louis Cardinals

Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers

Andre Ethier, Los Angeles Dodgers

Adrian Gonzalez, Boston Red Sox

Roy Halladay, Philadelphia Phillies

Josh Hamilton, Texas Rangers

Ryan Howard, Philadelphia Phillies

Derek Jeter, New York Yankees

Josh Johnson, Florida Marlins

Paul Konerko, Chicago White Sox

Evan Longoria, Tampa Bay Rays

Joe Mauer, Minnesota Twins

Dustin Pedroia, Boston Red Sox

Albert Pujols, St. Louis Cardinals

Hanley Ramirez, Florida Marlins

Alex Rodriguez, New York Yankees

Johan Santana, New York Mets

Grady Sizemore, Cleveland Indians

Chase Utley, Philadelphia Phillies

David Wright, New York Mets

And their FOOD!

Love,

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 05 2011 at 10:55am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Cool, Angie!

Melancholic me...I came here to this thread two years ago during my son's last high school game with an ache in my heart to share. It was, we thought his last baseball game, as he did not intend to play in college. I think I've mentioned at some point he did end up deciding to play in college after talking with the awesome coach at Franciscan University, who made it clear that baseball would not be their life there - just a piece of the overall puzzle of the college experience.

Well, he has been playing for two years and it has been a very positive experience for him. He is playing extrememly well - even while the team has struggled (though they have won more games each year thant he previous - it was a brand new and growing program). Anyway a few months ago we got word that FUS was cutting the baseball team at the end of this season (it's a complicated story )...and well, today is their last game. We aren't there as it is too far (we did get out there in March for two games). I didn't think it would affect me so much as I had already grieved it, but the coach's wife sent an email today. She posted this quote from her son from when they first found out about the cut - ""Mom, people don't understand...baseball goes to the heart...the very core of a man. It's so deep you can't explain it..." "   Now I'm bawling. I just wish it didn't have to end like this. Can you say a pray for these boys (men, really, right?) as they play their last game today. They are having a big party - serving food, hoping to get the whole campus to come out and join them.

...but I do still have a little leaguer...

Our Domestic Church

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: May 06 2011 at 12:14pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

MaryM wrote:
"Mom, people don't understand...baseball goes to the heart...the very core of a man. It's so deep you can't explain it..."

Mary, I burst into tears reading this from my phone yesterday. The boys asked why I was crying and I paraphrased then read this quote to them. Aiden *clapped*! (He may have had tears in his eyes...)

Quote:
I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith. 2 Timothy 4:7

I'm so proud of your player...and your whole family who has supported him. I'm also proud of the whole team and can't imagine any reason compelling enough to drop the team . Why all or nothing? (Can you tell them I said that .)   Praise God that we know God's will and timing is perfect, even when...especially when... it breaks our hearts.

It is a privilege to play ball with you. Thanks so much for sharing .

Love,

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version