Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Introductions 2009 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Jeannine
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 05 2009 at 7:13pm | IP Logged Quote Jeannine

Hi, everyone. I believe I introduced myself a couple of years ago, but then our educational path went in a different direction. Now I am back and finding the discussions on Catholic family life and (especially) cultivating gentleness in myself very encouraging.

I am Jeannine, from NY, married 13 years to my rock-solid husband. We have three children: 2 sons (3 and 8) and a daughter (5). We have prayerfully decided to enroll our children in our parish school, and it has become an enriching and vital part of our life. However, we are discovering that our eldest child appears to be gifted both musically and mathematically, and we are seeking ways to enrich his education at home. Gifted and talented programs would take him away from us during family times (weekends and vacations), and the ones I have reasearched are prohibitively expensive.

There are so many resourceful and ingenious moms here, and I feel as if I am gorging myself on the feast of ideas. I hope I will be able to offer even a fraction of what I have already received. The tone of the posts is so positive and encouraging. I really appreciate that.

Grace and peace...
Jeannine
Back to Top View Jeannine's Profile Search for other posts by Jeannine

lovebeingamom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 06 2009 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote lovebeingamom

Hello everyone, my name is Lorrie. I have been married for 6 years to my wonderful, loving husband. We have been blessed with two beautiful children - DD (2.5 y) and DS (8.5 m).

I feel really drawn to homeschool our children. We currently use the Montessori approach with DD. I love to watch her love of learning grow.

This website was recommended to me by another local, Catholic woman who is HS'ing her preschooler. It originally started as a discussion regarding the Little Saints Preschool program.

I look forward to many discussions, opinions/viewpoints, and being on the receiving end of such wisdom.   
Back to Top View lovebeingamom's Profile Search for other posts by lovebeingamom

teachingmyown
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2009 at 5:09pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmyown

Welcome Hsmom, Jeannine, and Lorrie! So glad to have you join the 4Real family!

Remembering Today
Back to Top View teachingmyown's Profile Search for other posts by teachingmyown Visit teachingmyown's Homepage

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 06 2009 at 5:41pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

Welcome, welcome all of our Forum Newbies!!! And welcome back one Forum Pro;) You are each a breath of fresh air and make it REALLY feel like Spring, here on the 4Real Forums!

Back to Top View Nique's Profile Search for other posts by Nique

annabelle125
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 09 2009 at 8:49am | IP Logged Quote annabelle125

Hello!

I'm Anne, age 37, wife of 10 years to Chuck (age 40). I live in South Jersey right now, but we are from Philly. We have been blessed with 2 wonderful children. CJ is 7—he will be 8 in August and Maura just turned 5.
We will start our first year of homeschool in September with CJ in 3rd and Maura in K. . I have felt called to homeschool since CJ was born, but was always afraid of….well a lot—myself, my ability, my parent’s (yes I’m an adult and I’ve gotten over this), other people…. I have finally decided to listen to God, but that 2X4 really HURT.

Due to school closings and moves, CJ has been in 4 schools in his short (Pre-K to 2nd) academic career.   Maura just completed Pre-K.   This year they were in a very faithful Catholic school, but… A 5th school for CJ and a 2nd school for Maura would be on the horizon due to finances.    

Plus, I have become very weary of fighting with each teacher who wants to label CJ as ADD. You see he is a 7 year old 2nd grader, with an August birthday. He keeps up academically, in fact he excels, but he acts like a 7 year old. Plus, and I didn’t know this when we moved from PA to NJ, in the school he is in now it is “popular” to hold your son back from starting if he is born after April! (The cut off is Sept 1). So most boys in his class are a full year older than him anyway.

I am very excited to start our journey and the kids are thrilled. My in-laws are surprisingly supportive, my parents, not so much (they’ll come around).

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Many Blessings,

Anne
Back to Top View annabelle125's Profile Search for other posts by annabelle125

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 10 2009 at 3:22pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Mary Moore wrote:
Mary Moore here from Mesa, AZ, also a fellow lurker, now prompted out into the committer-zone of 4Real by my dear friend AngieMc. Delighted to be outed by her and able now tell you all how much i have learned in my month of lurking.

Mary, so good too see you here! Please do jump into the conversation... no pressure or anything .

Welcome to all new members! It is wonderful to know that this message board helps families as an online resource. We have quite a collection of ideas, experiences, and perspectives and are glad to share.    Also, please consider sharing your experience, enthusiasm, and expertise! There is only one you; your questions spark conversation and your answers help others. Whether you are new to home educating or are seasoned and new to this board, chime in and may your time here be only a blessing to you .

Love,   

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 10 2009 at 9:01pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

Oh Anne, good for you for following your heart

And I hear you about "was always afraid of….well a lot—myself, my ability, my parent’s (yes I’m an adult and I’ve gotten over this), other people"!

If you'll allow me to share something my father told me when I was in my late teens, "Don't worry about what everyone thinks of you, they are too busy thinking about themselves".

Take care of yourself and your family! God will handle the rest

Looking forward to hearing from you via the threads/posts!!! Welcome aboard!

SilviaCU
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 12 2009 at 12:39am | IP Logged Quote SilviaCU

Hi, I am Silvia and married to my dh for 10 years (well almost, next month). We have three children 7yo daughter by birth, 5yo son by adoption and 1yo son by birth. We have been homeschooling for two years now and have been so blessed by it.

My husband and I are from Mexico, so this is Spanish is our first language and what we mostly speak at home. I just started blogging about our homeschooling adventures in Spanish and found a beautiful community of hispanic homeschoolers mainly from the US, central and south America and many from Spain!

I am trying to share all the things I have learned from you all (because I have been reading you for a long time) and specially the love and testimony of living our faith within our families. Elizabeth´s blogs and writings have really changed my life.

So, here I am, finally registered and ready to participate and mostly ask more questions :D

Blessings,
Silvia
Back to Top View SilviaCU's Profile Search for other posts by SilviaCU

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 12 2009 at 11:58am | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Hola, Silvia , I'm looking forward to your participation. If you come to Arizona, or our family goes to Mexico, it would be fun to meet!

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

SilviaCU
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 12 2009 at 2:22pm | IP Logged Quote SilviaCU

Angie, thanks for the invitation, but we are so far away!
Sorry, I wasn´t very specific. We are in Oregon. We´ve only been here for a year. We were in Texas before for the last 10 years. So all our children have been born here in the US.
I just saw your blog! You are fostering right now! I´ll have to read you when the kids are asleep. Here is our blog (is in Spanish) but I guess you know some ;D
creciendounidos.blogspot.com

A big hug,
Silvia
Back to Top View SilviaCU's Profile Search for other posts by SilviaCU

Bernadette7
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 16 2009 at 12:32pm | IP Logged Quote Bernadette7

Hello everyone! I'm finally done lurking and will come out of hiding! Thank you for the encouragement to do so. I'm Bernadette. Happily married to dh for 12 years. We have 6 beautiful children and expecting another blessing this fall. We are a Catholic, homeschooling family who loves the Latin Mass and Tradition. I have learned so much from you ladies already. For that, I'm deeply grateful.
Back to Top View Bernadette7's Profile Search for other posts by Bernadette7

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 16 2009 at 1:07pm | IP Logged Quote Nique

Dear Silvia and Bernadette,

We are thrilled you are here! Thank you for coming on board! This place just keeps getting better and better all the time

JenPre
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 16 2009 at 1:40pm | IP Logged Quote JenPre

Hello everyone! I just registered for the 4Real Forums today and am so excited to join you all! I've been a lurker for a few months now but never thought that I had anything to "add" since I didn't have any children. But we are now expecting baby #1 this coming December and are so excited!! I still don't know as I have anything add but I am looking forward to learning from you all!

While it is too early to begin planning home schooling I am open to the idea in a few years! I love reading your posts and blogs about organizing your homes.

I haven't got a blog yet but am thinking about starting one at some point. Most likely when the baby comes as that will be a good way to involve family members too in our lives. We live about an hour away from family and just moved so it's a bit difficult but I'm sure we'll find out place soon!
Back to Top View JenPre's Profile Search for other posts by JenPre

threeturn
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 18 2009 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote threeturn

Hi everyone. Another longtime lurker coming out of the woodwork to post for the first time. My name is Pam and I have been married to Matt for 15 years this October. We completed the RCIA program this past year, and I entered the Church at Easter Vigil. My husband, while supportive, has not decided to enter yet, so I would appreciate your prayers. My journey to the Church was partially inspired by the witness of Elizabeth Foss in her book and on her blog. I am so happy with the changes in our lives.

We have two children, Olivia who is four and John who is two. We found out we are expecting number three during Holy Week so my due date is in early December. Until that time, dad is away for National Guard training, so we are currently adjusting to time alone. Right now we do very relaxed preschool and are trying to learn to integrate living the liturgical year into our lives.

So happy to have found a positive and supportive place online.

Pam
Back to Top View threeturn's Profile Search for other posts by threeturn

Sharyn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: June 22 2009 at 1:59am | IP Logged Quote Sharyn

Hi, I'm Sharyn and I live in Perth, Western Australia. I have been married to my dh(originally from Indonesia) for 10 years. Our children are dd (00), ds (03), dd (04), ds(06), (08) and dd (09)

We have homeschooled from the beginning. I first started to think about hsing when a few friends started hsing their children. I was sceptical at first but did lots of research and felt called to do this for our family too. Dh was fairly similar being unsure at first but is comfortable with it now, it's become a natural part of our lives.

We use a collection of things which I have found work for us, but I'm feeling ready to explore a more Charlotte Mason style education, using living books for science, notebooking and such.

We are really keen naturalists, my children spend hours everyday looking for bugs in the backyard and drawing pictures of them. Drawing, painting,and music we really enjoy too.

I'm learning to sew (nappies and skirts) and knit(a scarf ) at the moment, I'm trying to discover ways our family can use less, or more wisely, or in a better way, so thats keeping me busy.

I look forward to learning from you all,
God bless,
Sharyn
Back to Top View Sharyn's Profile Search for other posts by Sharyn

ugamama3
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 22 2009 at 7:21am | IP Logged Quote ugamama3

Hi
My name is Tyler. I am a SAHM to 3 kiddos.(DS5,DS4 and DD5months). We live in GA and I will be starting to homeschool my 2 boys in a couple of weeks. ( as soon as i get everything organized ). I used to work in the public school system as an art teacher. I am so excited that i found these forums. I know everyone will be so helpful
Back to Top View ugamama3's Profile Search for other posts by ugamama3

Nique
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 22 2009 at 10:01am | IP Logged Quote Nique

Hi JenPre and Pam,
What a wonderful Mamas you are already! You must look beautiful with your baby in your bellies..I've always liked what Mel Gibson once said many years ago, "There's nothing s*xier than a pregnant woman!" (He said this around the time he was making "The Passion of The Christ")

And Sharyn, what a natural you are to the Charlotte Mason method! I'm looking into it myself for the first time. I admire how productive and creative you are with your time:)

Tyler, how good of you to join us! Looking forward to your expertise when it comes to the Arts!

Thank you, all 4 of you for introducing yourselves ~ that was fun to read! We are so you are here with us!!!!

Faithr
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: June 27 2009 at 9:19pm | IP Logged Quote Faithr

Hello! My name is Faith. I've been married to Rick for 20 years and we have 5 children. We've been homeschooling for 13 years. My oldest dd is 18 and heading off to the University of Dallas in the fall, then I have 3 sons, 17 (on Monday), 14, 10 and a dd, almost 8 (on 7/12). I used to be on this board when it first started but there was some kind of glitch and I kept getting knocked off! So I just lurked for years, but just yesterday on a whim I decided to try again. We'll see how long this lasts!

I am very glad to be here again!
Back to Top View Faithr's Profile Search for other posts by Faithr

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 27 2009 at 9:26pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Welcome Faith. I didn't know you were a lurker here! And thanks so much for the wonderful dinner you brought us - my kids are on my case to make it so I printed out the recipe you emailed me, but still have not done it!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

renaissancemama
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 29 2009 at 2:47pm | IP Logged Quote renaissancemama

Just introducing myself. I'm Dawn, a mom to a ten year old daughter, and a five year old son. I've been homeschooling since my daughter was preschool age. I'm a long time reader of the blog *In the Heart of My Home*, just finished reading the book called *Real Learning*(loved it), and will be using the Serendipity Alphabet Path lessons with my son this coming school year.
Back to Top View renaissancemama's Profile Search for other posts by renaissancemama

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version