Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Warm cotton tights for ladies? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 7:25am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

I am trying to wear skirts a lot - but my legs are freezing and I do not like nylon tights. All the cotton tights I have seen are for kid sizes. Any recommendations for cotton tights for ladies? (with feet)

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Rachel May
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 8:38am | IP Logged Quote Rachel May

I love my Hanna Andersson tights. I bought one pair 2 years ago, and they haven't faded or shrunk. They do have feet. They are a cotton/nylon/spandex blend. I don't know if that works for you? I think I'm going to get a few more sets this year.

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 8:57am | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

sigh. Not in my size. I would love cotton tights for winter, I wear skirts and dresses exclusively. I guess I will have to stick to my microfiber tights and handknit wool leggings.

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 9:03am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I do skirts exclusively, and I've found that I enjoy the cotton tights from Vermont Country Store. I'm so sorry I don't have time to link. I don't have the $ to buy a pair for every day of the week though, so I found an adequate substitute. I bought some cotton long underwear from Walmart - cheap but effective. I wear them under skirts and then just add a pair of navy socks. Vermont Country Store offers some nice cotton knee socks, but every now and then you can find them in the stores.

I'm going to check out Hanna Anderson's tights after this baby comes. Thanks for that suggestion Rachel.

I'm starting to have trouble figuring out how to swaddle my growing pregnant body this winter. I found some leggings from Motherhood that work under skirts, but if any of you do skirts during pregnancy I'd welcome any "undergarment" tips you might have!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 9:38am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Do a search for "MP Tights" -- they're made in Denmark and really pricey -- I had a pair, but right now I can't afford to buy them, maybe next year... my 16-yo also found some cotton grown-up tights last year at Old Navy.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 10:23am | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Jennifer, I am a dress/skirt only kinda gal too and I managed through my last pregnancy. Most of my pregnancy was through the summer, but when it was cold, I bought some leggings from Motherhood. They go just to midcalf, then I'd wear trouser socks. In fact, I still do this not pregnant! I don't like nylon pantyhose either.

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 10:32am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I don't like pantyhose of any type cotton or otherwise.

I get silk long johns.. so soft and just enough to keep me warm.

I also use knee high socks and knee high winter boots..

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 5:01pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

Lisbet wrote:
Jennifer, I am a dress/skirt only kinda gal too and I managed through my last pregnancy. Most of my pregnancy was through the summer, but when it was cold, I bought some leggings from Motherhood. They go just to midcalf, then I'd wear trouser socks. In fact, I still do this not pregnant! I don't like nylon pantyhose either.

Ok - don't laugh - but I just don't have a clue how you're supposed to wear these. I have a navy pair. First, can I just lament the contortions one has to twist the body into shoving the belly aside in order to fit one pregnant leg into the tights. I thought I was going to hate them, but I actually enjoyed the support, and my tummy didn't feel squished.

But.....the tights fall mid-calf. Now most of my skirts cover the tights, but I have a denim and khaki skirt that fall just above where the tights naturally end. My very trendy sister informs me that the tights are supposed to show. Really? I am so far removed from the trends it isn't funny. I can tell you that wheeling the children through the grocery store after a day of errands and struggling to keep the toddler in the basket and content while simultaneously intervening in the brewing war between the other siblings as the 11 yo attempts to run the 7 yo over with the cart all the while missing and mowing me and a handful of apples over - I don't feel trendy!!!!!

How did you wear them Lisa? and Helen if you're out there? Do they show? Or do you tuck them under the hem of the skirt?

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 6:15pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Tights are so easy to find up here in the cold North- actually anywhere I have lived in Canada.

Winners is a great place to find them cheap but quality (don't know if you have that) or Sears (I am not sure if there is an American Sears or not??).

Wish I could send you all some

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 7:06pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

The Vermont Country Store has cotton and wool tights as well as wool blend over the knee socks. I got over the knee socks from www.sockdreams.com last winter. Their cotton plain ones are about $10 which allowed me to buy a few pairs when I made the switch to skirts every day.

I also have silk long johns I wear with them as well as a pair of knit capris that are rather fitted for warmth.

I have seen the young girls wearing the midcalf length tights with skirts and have them showing. I am not trendy either and I tuck my capris into my over the knee socks.

I also found some half tights/underwear on clearance at Sierra Trading Post I ordered this week to wear with the long socks.

I just found out that my miserable toe condition I've had the past two winters is chilblains and is a chronic condition that can be regulated by never letting your feet get cold and even keeping your legs warm is important to increase circulation. So, I just spent an obscene amount of money on wool socks and tights (though, dh and I agreed that if it were medicine or something, we wouldn't hesitate...anything to be able to walk, lol). I also ordered some wool leg warmers from Vermont Country Store that look pretty toasty for under skirts. I've never worn anything like that before, and I hope I don't feel silly (I know I would feel silly letting short tights show under my skirt, lol, ). They look cute in the picture there.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

8kids4me
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 8:07pm | IP Logged Quote 8kids4me

Lindsey, do you think the over the knee socks would fit on someone with a slightly pudgier than normal leg? I saw those today and would like to get some. I am also in the process of knitting myself a pair of fitted wool leg warmers(pics when I'm done), but I would like over the knee socks.

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 8:12pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

On the sockdreams site, I think they have sizes so that those who are pudgier can have socks that make it over the knee. I haven't gotten the wool ones yet, though, so I am not sure how they fit.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have to figure out where to shop - I am thinking Hanna Anderson - will have to come out of next years budget.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 11:19pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I like my microfiber tights, but when it gets cold, I wear leggings like these with knee-high or over-the-knee socks over them. These leggings from Ringger are a great deal, and made in the USA.

For maternity dresses and skirts~ I have some maternity ankle-length leggings similar to these and then wear knee highs over them.   

Here is the mid-calf version that sounds like Lisa's leggings.

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 13 2007 at 11:23pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I also have a couple pair of leg warmers that i bought off ebay.....it helps with warmth with the microfiber tights. I can wear them down low or up high on the thigh. I made sure there was lots of give for them to wear up on the wider thigh area.

SusanJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Nov 14 2007 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote SusanJ

I love these tights. There are a lot of online retailers. I bought them through our buying club so they were a LOT cheaper than the price listed here. The buying club supplies most of the natural food stores and co-ops in the Eastern US, so you might look for these socks/tights there.

They are also organic/fair trade if that is important to you. I can't compare the quality to Hannas, but I guess even direct from the manufacturer they are a bit less than Hannas. I've worn mine two years so far and I'm really happy with them.

Susan

Back to Top View SusanJ's Profile Search for other posts by SusanJ Visit SusanJ's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 14 2007 at 10:14am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

Oooh, thanks Susan! I haven't noticed the tights through our buying club, but the socks are usually on sale. I didn't even know she made tights! Something to look out for next co-op order.

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Nov 14 2007 at 10:15am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Those look GREAT, Susan! Thanks for linking!

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 24 2009 at 8:53am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

OK - I know it is 90 degrees outside - but I am doing some forward planning for my fall/winter wardrobe. I STILL have not found any good tights - most of those linked above have nylon/rubber/spandex - I cannot seem to find any 100% cotton.

Has ANYONE found some 100@ cotton tights? I have my eye on some Coldwater Creek outlet skirts for the winter - but I would need tights as I am always cold.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: July 24 2009 at 9:59am | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

100% cotton is probably hard to find because cotton by itself will stretch and not keep it's shape so well.

I wear knee high winter boots which gives me more options.. plus my lower legs stay warmer than any sock will do

But I will wear silk long underwear pants under my skirts with the ends tucked into my boots and no one can tell and I stay warm.

They're not cotton but I think Smartwool makes tights.. they'd be $$$.. but I've never been able to wear wool because of the itching (and I'm not allergic) and I wear their socks quite comfortably.. but even those are likely not 100% wool.

I see I already mentioned the silk long underwear and knee boots

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version