Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Across Time and Place
 4Real Forums : Across Time and Place
Subject Topic: Creating Geography Study- Need Guidance Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Erin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 28 2007 at 2:45am | IP Logged Quote Erin

lapazfarm wrote:
If, for instance we get engrossed in geography (like what happened to day) and we want to carry it over until the next day

Theresa
I would love to know what you actually DO for your geography study, what activities do you undertake, what books do you read, is your study more of a earth science nature or a cultural studies one?

Back to Top View Erin's Profile Search for other posts by Erin Visit Erin's Homepage

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 28 2007 at 3:16pm | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

Yes, I would really like to know this too!LOL!
Actually, as in everything else we do there is a lot of play it by ear going on.
We have our geography center set up with the Montessori maps, geography books, continent boxes (decorated boxes filled with "stuff" related to each continent), atlases, landform stuff, etc etc.
What we have been doing is a mix-up of both cultural and physical geography, with some political stuff thrown in for good measure. After starting off with some global activities, we are trying to go continent by continent.
We are only 3 weeks or so into the school year and so still trying to hit our stride, but so far it has been pretty good.
Activities include (but are not limited to: doing the puzzle maps, labeling the puzzle maps, pinning a map with labels, reading about the area of interest( Material World, and Hungry Planet are among the sources we are using), playing with continent box materials, looking at cards I made with photos from the different areas, imitating the art of the area, listening to music, eating food, reading stories from the area, etc.
We are also using a great book Titled "A Life Like Mine" which we really love.

Here is what we did yesterday:
I told the Chinese story of the Moon Lady and painted her. Then we read Amy Tan's Moon Lady. Then we all painted either the Moon lady(dd) or the actual moon (ds). Then ds read from Material World while dd and I read a little book about Asia. Then we read Jan Brett's "Daisy Comes Home" and talked about the hidden pictures and their meanings (Chinese calendar, year of the monkey, snake, etc...).   Ds then decided to paint a dragon and dd worked on punching out an outline of Asia. We read together Ming Lo moves the mountain by Arnold Lobel. At lunch we had Ramen noodles and dc tried to eat them with chopsticks with little success!Then dd and I played store with our Asia continent box materials and some Chinese money.Ds took a break from the dragon, which is turning into a major project, to work on a Japanese architecture project he started last week. Then ds had Karate, dd and I played store some more, and then we all went out for Chinese food.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version