Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Blog Pseudonyms Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: July 21 2006 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

After quite a lot of republishing , I have changed the names of my children on my main blog to pseudonyms. I had a creepy comment that really had nothing to do with the children but just made me a bit uncomfortable.

Just wanted to ask that those of you who know the children's real names to please not use them in your comments. I still have to republish all the comments to remove the names but the posts are done.

Thanks so much!

Back to Top View Rebecca's Profile Search for other posts by Rebecca

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2006 at 12:04pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Oh what a hassle, Rebecca, but I don't blame you one bit.

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

Meredith
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2006 at 12:38pm | IP Logged Quote Meredith

Oh I'm so sorry for you, what a pain Praying this removes any strange feelings! Thanks for letting us know!

Back to Top View Meredith's Profile Search for other posts by Meredith Visit Meredith's Homepage

Christine
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2006 at 12:59pm | IP Logged Quote Christine

Rebecca,
I have been wondering whether or not I should do the same. I am also a little hesitant about posting photos, but I am currently still doing so. I have tried to stay somewhat anonymous, so I do not know whether or not I need to be concerned, but I have received some really bad comments on my main blog and on another blog that I do not link to myself (swear words, writing about indecent things, etc.). I do moderate my comments, so they do not appear on my blog, but the comments make me really uneasy.
I will be praying for you Rebecca.

Pretty Lilla Rose
Back to Top View Christine's Profile Search for other posts by Christine Visit Christine's Homepage

Kristin
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 21 2006 at 2:50pm | IP Logged Quote Kristin

So sorry to hear about the bad comments - very creepy and disturbing, I'm sure. This gives me a chance to ask you ladies who blog for your perspectives on the safety of posting about your family and children, including photos. I've started to create blog and I'm excited about it but DH and I are still trying to figure out what all the implications are. DH leans towards me not making it public, but I lean towards making it public but with no names, location, etc. It would have photos of us on it. This is all so new to me --- looking for any insights you all may have. Thanks!   
Back to Top View Kristin's Profile Search for other posts by Kristin

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2006 at 4:09pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

I should tell you that the comment was really a long chain of psychobabble mixed in with religious and educational talk. I clicked on his profile and there was a photo of him and he just looked creepy. Mix that with the comment and I decided to change their names. My family is less than thrilled but I feel better.

Sarah
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2006 at 4:16pm | IP Logged Quote Sarah

Yuck!

I often wish there was a way to only allow forum members/other moms and family to view our blogs. It does feel weird that the WHOLE WIDE WORLD could see your blog.

I've decided to use only vague or side shots of my kids, and use pseudonyms and not tell where my exact location is.

You just never know. . .

People like that guy probably spend his time hunting around people's blogs, leaving stupid comments.

Weird.

Back to Top View Sarah's Profile Search for other posts by Sarah

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2006 at 4:28pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

He probably was harmless (but peculiar).

I have wanted to do it for a while and that was enough to push me over the edge.

kristina
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 21 2006 at 11:50pm | IP Logged Quote kristina

Rebecca wrote:
I should tell you that the comment was really a long chain of psychobabble mixed in with religious and educational talk. I clicked on his profile and there was a photo of him and he just looked creepy. Mix that with the comment and I decided to change their names. My family is less than thrilled but I feel better.

Rebecca,
Thank you for sharing that you are using pseudonyms. I was inspired to do that by Meredith when I first created our blog. You say your family is "less than thrilled." I assume that you mean in giving them aliases. Our eldest, was rather disgruntled that he was "renamed" Julian on the blog. He wanted to pick his own name.

One thing I wish I had done first was google my blog name. I recently discovered that there are other sites of the same name that have some rather icky stuff on them. .

Peace and Blessings to you and your dear ones,

yesterthoughts
Back to Top View kristina's Profile Search for other posts by kristina

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2006 at 6:10am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Sarah wrote:
I often wish there was a way to only allow forum members/other moms and family to view our blogs. It does feel weird that the WHOLE WIDE WORLD could see your blog.

It does feel weird sometimes. I don't get tons of traffic at my blog, but more than I used to.

I use pseudonyms, but I do publish pictures. I'm not sure what someone would do with that. My name is in full at the bottom of my page (copyright info) and if someone really wanted to, they could cross check here which gives my home state, but really would anyone go to that trouble? I've never had any problems (except one bizarre comment left with numbers) and I do look at my stats everyday to see where people are coming from.

One thing I do is not have my blog "public" at Typepad which means they never mention it or publish updates about it. So mainly people find it because I tell them about it, or they link to me through another blog or I guess stumble on it through a search. One time someone found me when they searched for red squirrels!

It's a hard thing - I love being part of this blogging community. I love having that outlet to write and create and share of myself. I have been thinking what a wonderful medium it is for us mothers who no longer have social opportunities like bridge night or the women's club. And since our kids aren't in school we don't have those groups either. I learn so much from everyone's blogs and I enjoy getting to know everyone better. I guess I just hope and pray my audience is limited to friends, family and benevolent web browsers!

Once you start to do carnivals and things though, you find you are linked all over and not just within the 4real blogosphere. I try to stay on top of that - checking out the blogs that link to mine - and so far every one has been genuine.

I'm just rambling now, but thought I'd chime in.

Elizabeth
Founder
Founder

Real Learning

Posted: July 22 2006 at 6:17am | IP Logged Quote Elizabeth

I decided not to use pseudonyms since my children's names are already in my book and they have been in magazines and newspaper columns since 1991. Those columns were on the web before I was on the web (EWTN was publishing my column without my knowledge before I even had internet access). It seemed silly to start calling them all something different at this stage of the game.

That said, I have often wondered if I shouldn't have started writing under a pseudonym for me. There is something to be said for privacy. But message boards and blogging have significantly blurred the line between public and private.

I love the pictures, but I also understand why someone would hesitate to post pictures of children...

Elizabeth Foss is no longer a member of this forum. Discussions now reflect the current management & are not necessarily expressions of her book, *Real Learning*, her current work, or her philosophy. (posted by E. Foss, Jan 2011)
Back to Top View Elizabeth's Profile Search for other posts by Elizabeth

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2006 at 7:05am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

kristina wrote:

You say your family is "less than thrilled." I assume that you mean in giving them aliases. Our eldest, was rather disgruntled that he was "renamed" Julian on the blog.

Actually the kids don't seem to mind the names because I had the boys choose their own from their favorite book. They both play those roles during the day when they play dress up and pretend together.

The few people who have mentioned that they like real names better are extended family. I think once they get the names memorized and are used to them, they will be fine.   

lapazfarm
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2006 at 9:29am | IP Logged Quote lapazfarm

One caution that I would like to advise is that you never tell in your blog where you or your children will be at any given time, such as "the kids and I are going to the Jonesville Zoo tomorrow." If you do, anyone with ill intent would know where to find you and your children(also that you won't be at home, leaving your house unattended, etc)
You can, however, post about it later "yesterday we all went to the zoo and had a great time..." or be ambigious about it. "We are planning a trip to an amusement park this week" without saying "saturday we are going to Disney World."
Just a safety precaution.

Back to Top View lapazfarm's Profile Search for other posts by lapazfarm Visit lapazfarm's Homepage

Karen E.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2006 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote Karen E.

I fall into the "err on the side of caution" thing, too. I would love to share pictures of my sweeties, but then I worry about who might see them. My name and state are out there, attached to articles and things (and to my blog name ... duh ....)

I get visits to my blog from people Googling for some pretty strange (and sometimes downright disturbing) things and that always creeps me out. I also don't understand why my blog comes up as often as it does in blog searches -- for example, it sometimes seems that anyone searching for ANY kind of free clip art gets my site on Google because I have the phrase "free clip art" there (as a site credit.)

And I REALLY hate knowing that someone who is googling for p*rn related stuff has clicked to my page (I've seen that through Site Meter ... you can see what someone has Googled for). I'm sure they leave quickly when they see what my blog is, but still .... Yuck.

Visit my blog, with its shockingly clever title, "Karen Edmisten."
Back to Top View Karen E.'s Profile Search for other posts by Karen E. Visit Karen E.'s Homepage

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2006 at 4:39pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Sometimes I think I should just get rid of the copyright notice with my full name and then I could post anything I'd like because I do not give my hometown or last name in any post.

I doubt anyone is going to rob me of my copywritten material anyhow...I am not a famous author nor do I plan to become one. I can barely get myself bathed every day, let alone write a book.   

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2006 at 7:04pm | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Rebecca wrote:
I doubt anyone is going to rob me of my copywritten material anyhow...I am not a famous author nor do I plan to become one. I can barely get myself bathed every day, let alone write a book.   

ROTFL, Rebecca!! Though this is a fine example of why you *should* think about writing a book - you have such a wonderful writing style!

I too have thought about that copyright thing ~ maybe changing it to DRH instead? I cannot believe anyone is looking to lift any of my posts, but truth be told, I do have a book percolating in the back of my mind ~ though I *highly* doubt it will find its way out of there!

And if I remember correctly, isn't a blog copyright more of a deterrent than actual protection? I never filed any paperwork, for instance.

Cici
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: July 22 2006 at 10:13pm | IP Logged Quote Cici

Well, FWIW, I'm all in favor for obscure pictures and pseudonyms. I was reading your blog the other day (or today, or...my how time blurs!) , Rebecca, and noticed you changed the names of your children. I think it's safer that way.

My dh is not in favor of blogs AT ALL (and I've now removed LivingOnTheCorner). He went to a "school" (for the military branch he's in) where the instructors looked up the attendees' blogs. It was kind of frightening actually (which was their point).

Not that your husbands are in the military and you have the same kind of "capture" concerns that we may have, but I do think that changing names and posting obscure pictures can protect from your run-of-the-mill-everyday-nutcases.

Anyway. I seem to have a knack for babbling. And I'll miss the "community" that Dawn speaks of - I'll just be hanging around here more often.

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2006 at 11:11pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Cici wrote:

My dh is not in favor of blogs AT ALL (and I've now removed LivingOnTheCorner). He went to a "school" (for the military branch he's in) where the instructors looked up the attendees' blogs. It was kind of frightening actually (which was their point).
Anyway. I seem to have a knack for babbling. And I'll miss the "community" that Dawn speaks of - I'll just be hanging around here more often.

Cici, I can understand the reasons that you removed your blog. You definitely have some special circumstances that I had never thought of. I just wanted you to know that I sure will miss your writing. Living On The Corner was one of my favorites!

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 22 2006 at 11:13pm | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

And by the way HOW did I miss that you are due in February! Congratulations! I am so happy for you!

Rebecca
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: July 23 2006 at 12:24am | IP Logged Quote Rebecca

Dawn wrote:
Rebecca wrote:

ROTFL, Rebecca!! Though this is a fine example of why you *should* think about writing a book - you have such a wonderful writing style!

Aw, shucks, Dawn! Thanks! I call my writing style "Vague Thoughts about Nothing Imparticular" or "The Wandering Mind".    

Dawn wrote:
I too have thought about that copyright thing ~ maybe changing it to DRH instead? I cannot believe anyone is looking to lift any of my posts, but truth be told, I do have a book percolating in the back of my mind ~ though I *highly* doubt it will find its way out of there!

OOH! OOH! Keep percolating! Any hints, pray tell?

Dawn wrote:
And if I remember correctly, isn't a blog copyright more of a deterrent than actual protection? I never filed any paperwork, for instance.

I think you could just do initials. Maybe Lissa would know. She is the blog expert extraordinaire! I didn't file anything either. I actually decided to remove my copyright notice from my blog. When I went to remove it today, I noticed that it had vanished. It wasn't in the sidebar at all. I don't know where it went but it was there the other day! Well, at least I don't have to remove it!

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version