Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Planning and Ordering our Days
 4Real Forums : Planning and Ordering our Days
Subject Topic: Full Year Notebook System? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 03 2009 at 6:07am | IP Logged Quote Angel

With the file crate, I do move stuff from one week to the next week if it's not time sensitive and I still want to get to it. When I'm keeping on top of things, that is... my kids pile all their work on top of my file crate so I can file it, but if I get behind then the file crate becomes just a storage place and not an organizational tool. I'm not pulling assignments for everybody out of the file crate, though.

I was really thinking about the FYN (or Avilian notebook) more for my ds and dd than for me. I thought maybe if all THEIR required work was together in one notebook it might make it easier for them. On the other hand, they do seem to keep up with the workbooks they use pretty well, so maybe tearing out and filing all the pages would just mean extra work.

Still contemplating all this as I put away all the school work from this year...

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

krystab
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 03 2009 at 10:39am | IP Logged Quote krystab

Becky Parker wrote:
mayappleridge wrote:

What if you don't finish all the work for a week? Do you just move it into the next week?

I'm wondering this too. I like the idea of a non-dated list because we don't always get to everything planned for each day. For those using a file system, if you move things to the next folder, what happens to what is in that folder already?

For the FYN system they child simply doesn't start the next week until everything is done from the last week. There are no dates at all, just week #'s so it doesn't really matter what week you are on. Of course the goal is to have the child do the week in a week, but if you have activities or unplanned illness and you miss a day you don't have to move anything around. Just keep going where you left off.

I just set up my weekly files like Dawn's system. My plan is to put things in here that need to be done that week to follow the liturgical year. For those if we don't get to them, I will just file them for next year. So I am only putting things that have to be done on a certain date in the weekly files.

Back to Top View krystab's Profile Search for other posts by krystab Visit krystab's Homepage

pattonhouse6
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: June 03 2009 at 11:20am | IP Logged Quote pattonhouse6

For the FYN system they child simply doesn't start the next week until everything is done from the last week. There are no dates at all, just week #'s so it doesn't really matter what week you are on. Of course the goal is to have the child do the week in a week, but if you have activities or unplanned illness and you miss a day you don't have to move anything around. Just keep going where you left off.

This is how I manage things also...If the week's worth of work does not get done in a week, we just keep at it and don't move to the next week until it's done.

Someone else mentioned papers everywhere...I was very worried about this as well, and it almost caused me not to try the system. BUT, I stepped out in faith <GGG> and have worked very hard training the kids to keep their papers in their notebooks when they are not working on them. It has really not been a problem.

I just added a new notebook for each student...a completed work notebook. Their FYN had just gotten too crammed full of papers. Now, we have the FYN with assignments for the year, a Weekly Notebook with assignments for the week and a Completed Work Notebook. All color coded and neat. I am thinking this third notebook will become the home of the summary of the year for each child.

Anyway...the FYN system has been a great find here. We have kept with it for a year now, and I'm setting it up for our next school year.

...wife to Dave ('92) and mom to Katie ('95), Missy ('96), DJ ('02), Janie ('04) and Ricky ('08)
Back to Top View pattonhouse6's Profile Search for other posts by pattonhouse6 Visit pattonhouse6's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version