Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: What age? AG dolls or Vision Forum? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 6:09pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

I am wondering about what age the American Girl dolls and Vision Forum dolls are for? My 5 1/2 year old saw a couple dolls and catalogue at someone's house and has been talking about them ever since. Is she (and my 4-year-old) too young to appreciate this sort of doll, since the history aspect of it is a bit lost on this age?

The boycott is over for the AG dolls, right? I remember this from last year, but wasn't paying much attention then. Are they doing anything "wierd" anymore?

Many of the AG 4real threads are from last year, searching for alternatives....
Beautiful Girlhood?
Magic Cabin?
Would any of you recommend anything OVER the AG dolls after buying some of the alternatives?

Thanks,
Suzanne in WA
mom to 4 girls - ages 5,4,3,9 months
Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 6:25pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

My daughter got her first AG doll when she was 5. She loved the doll and grew into it. As soon as she was able she began reading the books and has been collecting the dolls ever since. That's been 6 years.

I don't have any info on the boycott. I think I was out of the loop on that one. For Christmas I just ordered Samantha for my 8 year old and a Bitty Baby for my 3 year old...oh well, what can you do?

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

Suzanne,

Last year, when my daughter Juliana turned 8, she wanted a doll desperately. We were recovering from a couple of lay-offs and could not afford much but we did manage to get her a Cabbage Patch doll. She loves it!

This Christmas, my in-laws are indeed getting her the Elizabeth American Girl doll - that is an answer to prayer as we still could not afford one! They also purchased Felicity for my Sophia who just turned 7 so it will be really neat for me to see them play together with the dolls - I can't wait, really!

Just an idea from my neck-of-the-woods!

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

ladybugs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote ladybugs

As far as I know, the boycott is over, too.

My etsy store - all proceeds go to help my fencing daughters!
Back to Top View ladybugs's Profile Search for other posts by ladybugs Visit ladybugs's Homepage

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 6:43pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

I like the quality of the Vision Forum dolls better. My 5 year old is getting one because she likes her older sisters dolls so much... or maybe I just couldn't wait to get another one.    

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

kjohnson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote kjohnson

I don't want to ask (because we're doll crazy around here) but what are Vision Forum dolls?

Back to Top View kjohnson's Profile Search for other posts by kjohnson

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 6:54pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

Vision Forum Dolls

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 9:47pm | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

My dd received Felicity for her 10th birthday (which is kind of cool because the AG dolls turn 10 in one of the books in the series). Later we took a trip to the American Girl Place in Chicago with some other moms and daughters that live in the area. It was a wonderful experience.

When dd was younger, she received the Bitty Twins for Christmas. Although we boycotted AG last year, we love the dolls and the books. But the boycott is over--it ended early in the year. So you can shop there this year with a clear conscience.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Dec 05 2006 at 11:36pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

My oldest two girls received their AG dolls for the Christmas when they were 7 and 5. Our next two girls received an AG doll for their 5th birthdays. I think 5 is a good minimum age, but would wait until older if the girls are not yet familiar with the books.

My older two girls were introduced to the AG books first, so they really wanted the dolls by the time they received them. The next two received a doll before they had read any of the books or knew the AG stories. They don't seem to have the same love for their dolls that the older two had.

I haven't seen the Vision Forum dolls in person, but I highly recommend the AG dolls.

graciefaith
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 06 2006 at 1:55am | IP Logged Quote graciefaith

What age range are the books?
Back to Top View graciefaith's Profile Search for other posts by graciefaith

Cay Gibson
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2006 at 8:54am | IP Logged Quote Cay Gibson

My four yr old gets her first AG doll this year.
Of course, she turns 5 on the 20th.   

mom to 5
Cajun Cottage Under the Oaks
Back to Top View Cay Gibson's Profile Search for other posts by Cay Gibson Visit Cay Gibson's Homepage

Carole N.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2006 at 9:18am | IP Logged Quote Carole N.

My dd read the books when she was 8/9. I think that they could read them earlier. The books are about AG that turn 10 during the series of books.

Before she read the books, she was not really interested in the dolls, but after she read them, she knew which doll she wanted. And when she studies history, she relates the books to real events in our history. It made history so much more fun for her (and for me)!

Bookswithtea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2006 at 2:07pm | IP Logged Quote Bookswithtea

We have both AG and VF dolls. I like the Vision Forum dolls better. The clothes are just beautiful, and I think after a year of vigorous use, the VF doll's hair is in better condition than the AG doll's hair. I showed my dd's (I have 3) the VF catalogue recently for the first time and my oldest (who is 9) commented, "Wow mom, the clothes in this catalogue are so much more modest than in the AG catalogue."

We get Bitty babies for our girls when they are around 2 or 3 and the AG or VF dolls when they are 6. Its a family tradition. Each will only have one doll, but we have lots of different period costumes as well as more modern clothing. We don't collect the furniture as we just don't have the storage space for it, but each girl has a doll case with drawers and a place to hang clothes.

~Books

mothering ds'93 dd'97 dd'99 dd'02 ds'05 ds'07 and due 9/10
Back to Top View Bookswithtea's Profile Search for other posts by Bookswithtea

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 06 2006 at 10:01pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Thanks for all your feedback!

OK, so I'm seeing the age of 5-6 as an age where a lot of your girls have them. Which explains the new-found past-time in our house.....perusing the catalogues and making up stories and names about them.      

Good points about introducing the books/stories to them before the dolls; I hadn't thought of that. We started reading Kirstin's Surprise last week for St. Lucy's Day and my 5 and 4-year-old love it. Plus, I'm from Minn. and my whole family lives there, so it's especially fun.

When I first heard about these dolls (before being married) I remember thinking "what an extravagance! why would you pay that for a DOLL? What's the big deal?" But, I am drawn to them now that my girls are interested....the stories, the beautiful doll, the living history, imagining, the innocence of girls loving their dolls, the clothing. It just seems so "worthwhile." Certainly not NECESSARY, but wonderful if it's possible.

Since both dolls are 18"....will clothes from both companies fit both dolls?

From the website, it doesn't look like the VF dolls have the same STORIES/books associated with each doll. Is that correct, all you VF-doll-moms? (maybe I'm missing something....their website isn't clear on this).

Thanks.

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 06 2006 at 10:03pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

kjohnson wrote:
I don't want to ask (because we're doll crazy around here)

Katherine:
I'm just curious. Were you crazy about dolls as a little girl? Or just because your daughter/s are interested?

I don't remember LOVING dolls as much as my girls do, (and neither does my mom, so she's no help) so I'm just curious.

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 06 2006 at 10:08pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

suzgallus wrote:

Since both dolls are 18"....will clothes from both companies fit both dolls?

From the website, it doesn't look like the VF dolls have the same STORIES/books associated with each doll. Is that correct, all you VF-doll-moms? (maybe I'm missing something....their website isn't clear on this).

Thanks.

The outfits fit both dolls. My girls interchange them all the time.

The VF books are specific to an outfit but not a doll. Any of their dolls, or any of the AG dolls, could wear a VF outfit and enjoy the story that goes with it.

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Dec 06 2006 at 11:55pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

suzgallus wrote:
When I first heard about these dolls (before being married) I remember thinking "what an extravagance! why would you pay that for a DOLL? What's the big deal?" But, I am drawn to them now that my girls are interested....the stories, the beautiful doll, the living history, imagining, the innocence of girls loving their dolls, the clothing. It just seems so "worthwhile." Certainly not NECESSARY, but wonderful if it's possible.

I completely agree. I first heard about the AG dolls around the time I got married when a friend gave one as a gift to her dd. I couldn't imagine spending close to $100 for a doll! Normally our budget doesn't allow for gifts anywhere near that expensive. But we made an exception for the AG dolls. And if I were to divide the price by the hours spent playing with them, I'd have to say that they are the best deal out of just about all of our toys.    And I'm sure that would be true no matter which type of doll you chose in the end.

suzgallus wrote:

Katherine:
I'm just curious. Were you crazy about dolls as a little girl? Or just because your daughter/s are interested?

I don't remember LOVING dolls as much as my girls do, (and neither does my mom, so she's no help) so I'm just curious.

I know you were asking Katherine this, but I have to chime in because I think it's an interesting question. I don't remember being into dolls at all after age 5 or so. I love them now and am enjoying having the excuse of all these daughters for collecting dolls now!

Mrs.K
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 07 2006 at 1:15pm | IP Logged Quote Mrs.K

My eldest dd has an AG doll, but my other girls have Goetz 18in dolls that we have been very pleased with. They are very pretty and have longer hair and a nicer skin tone than the AG doll, and they are about half the price. You can look around ebay for doll sellers (lots of Buy it Now new items) that carry them. But my girls have wanted the contemporary dolls, not the historical ones, so that might affect your decision.
I second the Bitty Baby at 2 and an 18" girl doll at 5 or 6 plan.
OTH, we're already plotting to eventually get the AG Kaya and dress her as Kateri Tekakwitha who is my 7 mo dd's namesake.

My blogPondered in My Heart
Jesus,I trust in You!
Back to Top View Mrs.K's Profile Search for other posts by Mrs.K

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Dec 12 2006 at 2:26am | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

teachingmom wrote:
    I don't remember being into dolls at all after age 5 or so. I love them now and am enjoying having the excuse of all these daughters for collecting dolls now!

Yeah, me too! Glad to know I'm not the only mom out there thinking about these dolls! It's kind of fun.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version