Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Simple but yummy convenience meals? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

We had a great dinner tonight - sort of like gyros, but with chicken. Most of the ingredients came from Costco and it took 10 minutes to prepare. I heated a rotisserie chicken and cut it into small pieces. We took warmed pocketless pitas and added chicken, tzatziki sauce, lettuce, tomato, and carmelized red onion. Everyone loved it!

What are your favorite meals like this?

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 7:55pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

Another thing we like to do with CostCo rotisserie chicken:

I set out flour tortillas, sour cream, sante fe beans (we bought these by mistake at CostCo a few months ago and now I can't remember how I lived without them), lettuce and meat pulled off the chicken. Everyone makes their own burritos. Yum!

Philothea
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 8:03pm | IP Logged Quote Philothea

Fantastic thread idea, Irene! I'm stealing your recipe for later use.

I use the rotisserie chickens to make chicken chili. Rip up the meat, add it to some sauteed onions, canned beans, canned diced tomatoes and canned tomato sauce with plenty of spices and warm it all up on the stove (stirring often) for a few minutes. I like to serve this with Jiffy cornbread, which only takes 15 minutes to bake and requires just an egg and some milk to prepare, but storebought would be even easier.

I also like to use cooked frozen shrimp to make a fancy pasta in under 15 minutes. The shrimp can be thawed in an instant by running warm water over them in a bowl, and then I just melt a couple tablespoons of butter on the stove with garlic and parsley and add the shrimp. It sits there warming up on med-low (stir occasionally) while the pasta boils, then I toss the entire contents of the shrimp pan (butter and all) with the pasta, some store-bought tomato basil sauce (I usually microwave it in a bowl for 30 seconds prior to adding it), and Italian seasoning. Yummy, fancier than regular spaghetti, and only takes as long to cook as the pasta takes to boil. I like to use angel hair for that extra fanciness.

Oh, and one more simple favorite -- black bean burritos. I heat canned black beans in a pot on the stove and stir in some flavored Tabasco and chili powder. Then I use fresh avocado and store bought tomato salsa to make a quick guacamole. I microwave the tortillas for 20 seconds to get them warm and fill them with the beans, guacamole and store-bought shredded cheese. This is a family favorite and perfect for Lent since it's meatless, but has protein for the kids. It's surprisingly filling, but if you need more than just the burritos, you can serve it with spanish rice (just mix a can of diced tomatoes and lots of chili powder and salt into regular quick rice) or chips and some extra guacamole.
Back to Top View Philothea's Profile Search for other posts by Philothea

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 10:33pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

MichelleW wrote:
I set out flour tortillas, sour cream, sante fe beans (we bought these by mistake at CostCo a few months ago and now I can't remember how I lived without them), lettuce and meat pulled off the chicken. Everyone makes their own burritos. Yum!

Dh told me how delicious burritos made simply with rotisserie chicken were after having them with his family while in AZ for his father's funeral. I haven't tried them that way yet, but will have to do so soon.

What are Santa Fe beans? Are they in the canned section?

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 11 2007 at 11:22pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

Omelets with deli ham.

Maria B.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 6:15am | IP Logged Quote Maria B.

Irene: Excuse my ignorance, but what is tzatziki sauce?   Where do you get it?

Back to Top View Maria B.'s Profile Search for other posts by Maria B. Visit Maria B.'s Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 10:51am | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Maria, tzatziki sauce is WONDERFUL! It is a yogurt based sauce, with cucumber (shredded) loads of garlic, and an assorment of other scrumdiddlyumptious ingredients mixed in there. OH is it yummy. And it is easy to make at home, once you've done it a time or two. I personally like it best served on warm pitas, which have been "grilled" lightly, after being rubbed with olive oil and sprinkled with Cavendar's Greek Seasoning...oh yummmmm.

Need I say that DH is an excellent Greek cook? No, he's not Greek, but the man can COOK!

Yum. Now I find myself craving a lamb shank with some roasted potatoes, and a plate piled high with tzatziki and pitas.

SIGH

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07
Ava Maria, in the arms of Jesus, 9/5/08
Back to Top View juststartn's Profile Search for other posts by juststartn

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 11:56am | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

1 lb sweet italian sausage-- take it out of the casings and brown.
1 14oz can of stewed tomatoes (plain or italian flavored)-- dump in with meat once cooked to heat through.

Serve over rice. Not exactly fat free or low cal, but very yummy comfort food that is ready in minutes!

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

LisaD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote LisaD

One of our super-quick favorites is pasta with asian vegetables and either chicken or shrimp.

All the ingredients come from Trader Joe's
A bag of cooked frozen shrimp, a bag of frozen Asian mixed vegetables with Beijing-style soy sauce (a thick, sweet soy sauce), and pasta or rice noodles. I thaw the shrimp under cold running water, then throw it in the wok with the frozen vegetables. Stir-fry until everything is heated through, then toss with thin spaghetti or rice noodles and then add the packet of sauce that comes with the veggies and mix thoroughly. Yum! I've bought the already-cooked chicken in the deli section at Trader Joe's before and used that in place of the shrimp, too.

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 2:49pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

burritos - when I cook beans I make ALOT and put a couple meals worth into the freezer.. just dump into a pan and heat it, and tortillas.. and add cheese and whatever toppings you like. (you can add meat or not)

Same with soups.. make at least double what we'll eat and freeze half.

I use them.. don't save them.. but it means I usually have at least one easy meal on hand.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

anniemm
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 4:00pm | IP Logged Quote anniemm

My personal favorite is one that my DH makes for us: italian sausage sandwiches. We had them last night in fact.    I buy links of hot italian *turkey* sauage, spaghetti sauce, a baguette, and provalone cheese. He splits the sausages and cooks them in a pan, meanwhile heating the spaghetti sauce. When those two are done, he cuts the baguette into sandwich sizes and splits it, adding first the sausage and then the spaghetti sauce. Then he tops them off with provalone and throws them under the broiler until the cheese is melted. They are delicious....he's made them for me since college

Mama to four little girls (04), (05), (07), (09),& my 1st little guy 11/11
www.hiswillmypeace.com
Back to Top View anniemm's Profile Search for other posts by anniemm Visit anniemm's Homepage

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 4:45pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Well, once you get past my inelegant name -- I call this "Bean Slop." Cook jarred garlic (the kind that comes chopped and in olive oil) with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil, for a couple of minutes (while you are opening cans). Add 2 or 3 cans of diced tomatoes, try ones with various seasonings, for example cilantro and lime. Drain 2 or 3 cans of black beans, and add these too. Heat it all through and serve over rice. Add a salad, usually we do spinach with mandarin orange slices. Quick, simple, nutritiuos. And, even more amazing, all of my family like it!

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 5:29pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Maria B. wrote:

I saw that Rachel already explained tzatziki sauce. (Thanks, Rachel!) I'll have to try making it myself someday. In the meantime, I just buy it in a container at Costco. Some of us love it on a deli meat sandwich in place of mayonnaise. It's near the hummus and spinach dip.

But Maria, since you are local, I have to recommend trying it at the best place around for gyros with tzatziki sauce -- Knossos in Vienna. I even ask for extra tzatziki sauce. Here is a review I found. I agree wholeheartedly with the reviewer, including the part about the fried zucchini. (Not at all healthy made that way, but delicious nonetheless.)

MichelleW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 6:08pm | IP Logged Quote MichelleW

teachingmom wrote:
What are Santa Fe beans? Are they in the canned section?
Santa Fe beans are canned red beans, pinto beans, corn, tomato sauce, onion, chili peppers and garlic. They are in the canned bean section. I would never have bought them on purpose. My 9yo ds was helping me at CostCo and grabbed a 12 pack of these instead of plain kidney beans by mistake. They have become one of the most useful canned items in my house. They are GREAT for making quick emergency meals. Great in Taco Soup, too.

Lisbet
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 6:38pm | IP Logged Quote Lisbet

Andrea, NOTHING has been sounding good to me lately, but, weird as it sounds, those sandwhiches sound awesome!! I may just have to make these. How are you feeling by the way?

Abby, 15
Gabe, 13
Isaac, 11
Mary, 10
Sam, 9
Henry, 7
Molly, 6
Mark, 5
Greta, 3
Cecilia born 10.29.10
Josephine born 6.11.12
Back to Top View Lisbet's Profile Search for other posts by Lisbet

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 8:23pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

teachingmom wrote:
Maria B. wrote:

I saw that Rachel already explained tzatziki sauce. (Thanks, Rachel!) I'll have to try making it myself someday. In the meantime, I just buy it in a container at Costco. Some of us love it on a deli meat sandwich in place of mayonnaise. It's near the hummus and spinach dip.

But Maria, since you are local, I have to recommend trying it at the best place around for gyros with tzatziki sauce -- Knossos in Vienna. I even ask for extra tzatziki sauce. Here is a review I found. I agree wholeheartedly with the reviewer, including the part about the fried zucchini. (Not at all healthy made that way, but delicious nonetheless.)

If anyone wants a recipe for the sauce, let me know, and I'll post it tomorrow...

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

Bridget
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 8:27pm | IP Logged Quote Bridget

juststartn wrote:

If anyone wants a recipe for the sauce, let me know, and I'll post it tomorrow...

Rachel

Yes please!

Back to Top View Bridget's Profile Search for other posts by Bridget Visit Bridget's Homepage

juststartn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 9:37pm | IP Logged Quote juststartn

Tomorrow, dear lady! Same Cat(holic) time, Same Cat(holic) channel.

LOL

Rachel

Sophia 4/19/04
John 5/7/07
David 5/7/07

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 10:39pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

MichelleW wrote:
Santa Fe beans are canned red beans, pinto beans, corn, tomato sauce, onion, chili peppers and garlic. They are in the canned bean section.

They sound like something dh would love and we would use regularly. I hope my Costco has them. I've found that some products are regional with that store. Thanks!

teachingmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Virginia Bluebells

Posted: Feb 12 2007 at 10:49pm | IP Logged Quote teachingmom

Bridget wrote:
juststartn wrote:

Rachel

Yes please!

Thanks Rachel! I look forward to it.

Page of 2 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version