Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Nurturing the Years of Wonder
 4Real Forums : Nurturing the Years of Wonder
Subject Topic: Need ideas (HSing with 2 year old twins) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
*Lindsey*
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 9:05am | IP Logged Quote *Lindsey*

I need some advice and encouragement. I'm feeling very overwhelmed! I have five children, DS almost 6, DD 4, 22 month old twin girls, and a 4 month old DD.

My problem is the twins. They are truly "twinadoes". They are so busy and get into so much. I am having a hard time even picturing how we are going to accomplish much school while I have to chase them around and try to keep them out of trouble.

They will sit down at the table and scribble on paper for about 5 minutes, but after that all bets are off. I guess I need some ideas on how to keep them occupied AND out of trouble. I have to keep the baby on me (sling/wrap) almost all day unless the twins are asleep because they will not leave her alone and they aren't very gentle with her. My older two were never like this! They were very verbal and not so physical. The twins are opposite, they hardly talk but can climb ladders!

Help?
Back to Top View *Lindsey*'s Profile Search for other posts by *Lindsey*

Nedra in So. CA
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 11:49am | IP Logged Quote Nedra in So. CA

n/a
Back to Top View Nedra in So. CA's Profile Search for other posts by Nedra in So. CA

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 1:23pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

I will second the recommendation to not worry too much about school this year. I remember one miserable year trying to 'teach' my 6 and 4 year old with the toddler getting into everything!

The next year the toddler was ready to scribble for hours- I would have been better off just waiting a year :-)

Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 1:30pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

I forgot to add.

Can your dear husband deal with the twins for a bit either before or after work so that you can have time with the older children?    I've found my DH very helpful when the current toddler is needing attention at the same time as another child.
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

Angi
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 24 2009 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote Angi

Sadly - I will admit that when my twinadoes were 2, I sent my oldest to public school for the year.    She was 5, also had a 4 year old and the twins. I loved the break each day from my oldest's drama.

In other words - I will pray that are able to handle things much better than I was able to. I understand and know how difficult it can be.

God Bless
Back to Top View Angi's Profile Search for other posts by Angi

Mare
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote Mare

When my three girls were 2 yrs. old, I found that I spent the morning playing with them and their older sister. Then in the afternoon, when the three sweeties were napping, I worked with my then 4yr. old.

Here are some ideas that kept us busy in the mornings:

I set up water play stations on our kitchen floor with a towel under each dish washing pan.

Ice tongs and ice cubes - transfer from one bowl to another. (Freezeable plastic ice cubes were also a fun alternative.)

Sponge and spray bottle of water for "cleaning" the windows and table were a hit.

They also liked to use the dust pan and brush for "cleaning" the floor.

Playdough on Dollar Store cookie sheets kept the dough self contained. We also used the cookie sheets for water colors. It helped to keep the water spills self-contained.

I would make cookie dough ahead of time and freeze it. On a special day, I'd take out enough dough for each to make their own cookie. They loved just to play and create with dough. Sometimes they sat there for 30 mins. or more just playing with their cookie dough.

Glue and colored paper were a hit. They could paint the glue onto the paper. Sometimes glue sticks were better depending on the project.

Glue and popsicle sticks were also fun.

Magnets on the cookie sheets were also fun. I had found a bunch of shape magnets and alphabet magnets that they liked playing with.

Wishing you much joy in your days,

Back to Top View Mare's Profile Search for other posts by Mare

Nedra in So. CA
Forum Rookie
Forum Rookie

Posted: Aug 25 2009 at 10:26am | IP Logged Quote Nedra in So. CA

Mare! Triplet daughters? What a blessing!
Back to Top View Nedra in So. CA's Profile Search for other posts by Nedra in So. CA

Angel
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 26 2009 at 6:51pm | IP Logged Quote Angel

Hmmm.... sounds familiar...

My boys are almost 4, and I still have to focus mostly on them (and their 2 yo brother) when they are awake. They were about 22 months when their brother was born, and I really did wear him in a sling for most of the day for... a long time. (it's all kind of a blur now. )

Anyway, I tried to start doing some math with my 6 yo during the morning this year because I thought since the twins were older they could kind of sit in, but... no dice. So I'm back to having a reverse day from most other homeschoolers: I do my one on one time with the kids (including my 6 yo) in the afternoons when the little ones are napping. The 2 yo is often napping on me, but as long as the twins are asleep it's ok.

In the morning, I generally try to focus on the twins, with the big kids joining in as they want to. My 10 and 12 yo are pretty independent when it comes to work, and the 4 little boys can all do art together (playdough; collage with glue in a bowl, brushed on; drawing until my 2 yo starts biting the tips of the markers...), so that's usually what we do. Or we play outside. Or both, actually. Sometimes the boys will do some Montessori-ish activities, like cleaning windows or floors, or pouring (not water or lentils), or sorting (buttons, etc.). We also build with blocks. And the four little boys all run around together playing whatever game the 6 yo happens to think of that morning.

It's still chaotic, but at least I'm not trying to "get something done" and then feeling frustrated when that's impossible. So I guess it's ok.

Honestly, as others have suggested, at age 6 you don't need to get too much sit-down work accomplished. I work with my 6 yo probably 45 minutes tops in the afternoons. I do read him picture books at other times of the day... but often it's not until bedtime that he really gets books, because at least then there are 2 adults in the house!

Back to Top View Angel's Profile Search for other posts by Angel Visit Angel's Homepage

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 27 2009 at 7:18am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

My 2yo and 19 mo favorite activity is washing windows. I ordered small spray bottles from a Montessori site and have a squeegee. I added a fitted cloth on top to wipe the windows because the boys can't get the squeegee to the glass. (saves on thousands of paper towels). (Can't find that website -- I bought it at World Market).

Warning: the spray might get used on each other, so only use water. Spraying windows in the kitchen with a towel down underneath the window works best for us.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version