Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Learning (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Living Learning
Subject Topic: I admit it...I need help Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: June 24 2010 at 8:49pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

saigemom wrote:
Number the Stars and Snow Treasure are excellent. Snow Treasure is a shorter book, so I think it could be easily covered. I did NTS as a read aloud and it worked out well-you could probably find this one on CD fairly easily as well. I saw you had question marks next to those. If she is not big into reading, they are both shorter and slightly easier than the other books you had listed in WWII.

Thank you! Yes, I had questions because I've never read them, and sometimes it's hard to tell from Amazon if it's decent. I'll definitely incorporate these.

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2010 at 8:50pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

saigemom wrote:
http://www.homeschoolshare.com/wild_dogs_lapbook.php

These could be done as a lapbook or modified to notebook pages for her science during wolves.

Oh, good idea. Thanks again!

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2010 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

lapazfarm wrote:
Oh, do you have a composer for the wolf month yet? Cause Peter and the Wolf would be a natural tie in for Prokofiev.

LOVE it!!

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2010 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

JennGM wrote:
WWII books, but I know you're trying to keep the list from being overpowering. Just mentioning:

Reading Your Way Through History suggests:

World War II (1939-1945):
St. Maximillian Maria Kolbe (d. 1941)
St. Maximillian Kolbe: The Story of Two Crowns by Claire Jordan Mohan
Volunteer at Auschwitz by Chuck Colson BV 803-808
Kolbe: Saint of the Immaculata edited by Br. Francis Mary, F.I.
Forget Not Love: St. Maximilian Kolbe by Andre Frossard

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr
The Story of the Trapp Family Singers by Maria Augusta Trapp
Enemy Brothers: A Story of World War II by Constance Savery
The House of Sixty Fathers by Meendert de Jong
Escape from Warsaw by Ian Serralier
The Shadow of His Wings by Fr. Gereon Goldmann
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
The Diary of Ann Frank
A Place to Hide: True Stories of Holocaust Rescues by Jayne Pettit
The Borrowed House by Hilda Van Stockum
Twenty and Ten by Claire Huchet Bishop (1944)
The Winged Watchman by Hilda Van Stockum
The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom
The Small War of Sergeant Donkey by Maureen Daly
The Assisi Underground (Video)
The Red Horse: A Novel by Eugenio Corti

And Penny Gardner has more suggestions

A fun book set in World War II, Bedknobs and Broomsticks by Mary Norton.

Oh, Jenn, thanks for the great list! I've got a few of these added already, now I'll have to take a look at the rest.

And we have the B&B movie! I forgot all about it!

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2010 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Mackfam wrote:
Great timeline of scientists for use when you're building plans that are cross-connected:
Timeline of Famous Scientists

For your 1850 block (November), I might suggest Gregor Mendel as a scientist to study. He is perhaps most well known as father of modern genetics because of his pea plant experiments, but his scientific mind lends him to many disciplines - meteorology, astronomy, physics. Pick one and run with it!!! A great picture book for Gregor Mendel is Gregor Mendel: The Friar Who Grew Peas. Another book I have which is so great, but is out of print, is an old Catholic Digest/Junior Book Shelf book: The Man Who Found Out Why - The Story of Gregor Mendel by Gary Webster. Your dd is at the perfect age for it, and it would be great read independently or aloud.

Another scientist that fits well in this period is George Washington Carver, a botanist/naturalist. Check out A Weed Is a Flower - The Life of George Washington Carver by Aliki. From there - Botany sounds like fun!!!!

For your WWI block (December), a really great book for getting a feel for all that was affected by the War, is Where Poppies Grow - A World War I Companion.

For scientists that fit in either your WWII (February) or Narnia (March) slot:
** Alexander Fleming - accidentally discovered penicillin. (I see now that Theresa already mentioned him - I'm dittoing!)
Alexander Fleming and the Story of Penicillin
There are some amazing projects you can do around that! I thought of these -
Learn About Bacteria
Bacteria Basics
Bacteria Science Project Guide
** Dr. Jerome Lejeune, Catholic geneticist. He discovered Trisomy 21, the genetic indicator for Downs Syndrome. There is a book written by his daughter, which has long been on *my* wishlist, but it probably is more well-suited to high school reading that for a 6th grader, Life is a Blessing by Clara Lejeune. I don't have any other good resources to offer, but he's such a perfect fit historically speaking, and what a brilliant, wonderful, Catholic scientist...I had to mention him!
Project fun:
Build a DNA Model
Learn about DNA

History/Literature read alouds for either month:
** Miracles on Maple Hill by Virginia Sorensen - set at the end of WWII.
** Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski - 1945 period fiction.
** You've got the Mitchell's series by Hilda van Stockum.
** The Cay by Theodore Taylor

Artists
** Ansel Adams
** Norman Rockwell

Music and Composer Study
** John Philip Sousa
** George Gershwin
** Duke Ellington
-- Or...study one of my personal favorite music genre's which really came into its own during this time -- JAZZ!
** Ella Fitzgerald
** John Coltrane
From these, or in addition to them, I'd try to choose pieces that are reflective of the period. So, you might listen to the Andrews Sisters, Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B. Golly, there's so much!!! I bet your wheels are turning now!!!!

Poetry - 19th century
** Elizabeth Barret Browning
** Robert Frost
** Robert Browning
and so many more!

Poetry - 20th century
** You could study the poem in Where Poppies Grow, In Flanders Fields by Lt. Col. John McRae, Canadian Army
** Poetry from World War I
I'm sure there are other great wartime poets/poems that would fit in these studies. You could study some of the poetry of C.S. Lewis, but it's a little much for 6th grade, but perhaps someone could recommend something.

Alright...well, I've been at this in between lessons with the kids all day. It's been lots of fun!!!! Hope there are a few ideas here that spark ideas of your own, Paula! I think you've got a great basic plan already! Just a few more connections across the subjects and you're set for a wonderful year!!!!! Let us know if we can fill in any other areas!

Thank you, truly, all of you. The doubts are gone!!!

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 24 2010 at 8:54pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

JennGM wrote:
I was also going to throw out the idea that under Hitler there was forbidden composers and music in Germany with an emphasis on German composers. I find that interesting to learn and discuss -- have a list of both, and listen and discuss. Is music guaranteed to be good or bad just because it's written by a person of a certain race or religion? How does one judge music?

This is a great idea, Jenn!

Mary K
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2010 at 3:28am | IP Logged Quote Mary K

For WWII I recommend the movie "Paperclips" (preview 1st, i haven't seen it in a while).
God bless,
Mary-NY
Back to Top View Mary K's Profile Search for other posts by Mary K

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2010 at 9:21am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Paula, I think your plans are lovely- lots of good suggestions too, but I think the original plans are just right for a slow reader (they have given me much fodder for my dyslexic dd 13)...

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2010 at 9:28am | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

I should add, I missed that you said you were doing a novel a week- this is LOTS for any reader. If your reader is a slow reader this could be overkill (I know my slow readers would be swamped). Just my .02...

A Walk in the Woods

Back to Top View Kristie 4's Profile Search for other posts by Kristie 4 Visit Kristie 4's Homepage

Kristie 4
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2010 at 12:10pm | IP Logged Quote Kristie 4

Hope I wasn't too opinionated in the last post- you know your child Paula and your plans and all the great ideas are lovely! I am just struggling to do some planning for dd who is screaming for more plans but who is a veeeeeery slow reader and I think the association of slow reader and 1 novel a week in the same post took me by surprise!

A Walk in the Woods

Paula in MN
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: June 25 2010 at 2:53pm | IP Logged Quote Paula in MN

Kristie 4 wrote:
Hope I wasn't too opinionated in the last post- you know your child Paula and your plans and all the great ideas are lovely! I am just struggling to do some planning for dd who is screaming for more plans but who is a veeeeeery slow reader and I think the association of slow reader and 1 novel a week in the same post took me by surprise!

Kristie, not at all!!!!!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: June 26 2010 at 6:27pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

JennGM wrote:
Enemy Brothers: A Story of World War II by Constance Savery

A gentleman who has a website all about Constance Savery and her books, saw that some of her books had been recommended on 4 Real, most recently here. He wanted members to know that she wrote more books than those currently reprinted by Bethlehem books and I said I would pass on the information.

Quote:
Forty years ago Constance Savery was on librarians' recommended reading lists, but her reputation declined rapidly when schools and librarians concluded that it was "not appropriate" for authors to introduce children to religious values. I think that home schools are one of the few forums that welcome a Christian emphasis, and I would like homeschooled children and their parents to know that there are other Savery titles besides the two published by Bethlehem Books.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

JennGM
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: June 26 2010 at 6:45pm | IP Logged Quote JennGM

That's so neat! I'd love to see a little description of her books, so I could know a little more on the book hunt. She was prolific!

Back to Top View JennGM's Profile Search for other posts by JennGM Visit JennGM's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

<< Prev Page of 3
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version