Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Getting a good night sleep Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 7:44am | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

I have been dealing with insomnia for a while now. It use to be that I would have trouble falling asleep at night. Now it is the middle of the night wake ups that are giving me trouble.
When dh is away I usaully fall asleep with the TV on, so I don't hear any of the noises that start my runaway imagination . I have been trying to wean myself from that because I sometimes feel groggy in the morning. Well I usually feel groggy in the morning.
Any ideas?

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 7:50am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

I wish -- just sympathy. I'm not a good sleeper either. I have all the white noise in our house "on" -- not for the kids -- for me. I've even tried saying the rosary in latin.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

dollylima
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 8:14am | IP Logged Quote dollylima

I have struggled with insomnia (both trouble falling asleep and what you have described which is called "early morning awakening") on and off since my early twenties. Sometimes, I have to take prescription medication, but sometimes the following work to varying degrees:

lavender oil, marjoram oil or neroli in a hot bath before bedtime
sleepytime or tension tamer tea
having an orgasm (if your husband does not mind being awoken, that is) (I hope I can say that here...if not, I apologize. It really does help.)
a homeopathic treatment called Calms Forte
getting more exercise during the day
valerian root
Benadryl works for a lot of people. Some people it makes hyper. I know they say that alcohol interferes with sleep, but I have had success with a glass of red wine in the past as well.

Usually when I have the early morning awakening it is a sign that I should be looking at other cues that Im in a state of depression...because it is a late sign for me...one I can't rationalize away or ignore. Perhaps you could try some St. Johns Wort (if you are not pregnant or nursing) or seek out the advice of your physician or nurse practitioner. Sometimes insomnia is our body's way of saying we need to take better care of ourselves physically, emotionally and spiritually.

Oh, and another thing that seems to work for me is heat. I make those hot/cold packs that are flannel and filled with rice. I take one of those and heat it in the microwave and wrap it around my neck or shoulders. It is very relaxing and often does the trick.

I hope that helps and I wish you well.
Heather
Back to Top View dollylima's Profile Search for other posts by dollylima

mary theresa
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 12:20pm | IP Logged Quote mary theresa

I have read to get better sleep, one's room needs to be as dark as possible and you should never eat carbs and sugars past 8pm or so. I have noticed that the latter does make my nights more wakeful.

HTH! I know how you feel -- but at least I can blame my wakfulness on my pregnancy!

Mary Chris
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote Mary Chris

Heather,

Thanks for some great information! I think you are definitely on to something with the depression angle.    I started another thread asking about St Johns Wort.
I think a nice cuppa tea before bed and a warm bath would be very helpful. I know I need to start exercising. I would really like to avoid taking prescription sleeping aides. I feel loopy in the morning if I take a Tylenol PM. Plus my dh is getting ready to deploy and frequently travels so I am uncomfortable with taking something if he is not around.

Thank you again!

hsmom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 12:22pm | IP Logged Quote hsmom

If you're waking up about the same time every night it could be diet. Sugars whether dessert or from processed grains (white bread, white rice), caffeine, & alcohol can all cause insomnia. For me if I have a sweet at night I will wake in the middle of the night. If I have a dessert in the middle of the day I may not be able to get to sleep. I find sugar triggers me 7-9 hours later. It took 3 days of no sugar to get a decent nights sleep.

Also, a cup of chamomile tea or Sleepy Time tea might help as well.

Good luck. Valerie
Back to Top View hsmom's Profile Search for other posts by hsmom

hylabrook1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Oct 15 2007 at 2:37pm | IP Logged Quote hylabrook1

Falling asleep or falling back asleep after waking in the night are frequent problems for me. What helps is to be sure I get a walk during the day, a warm bath before bed, a cotton ball with lavender essential oil tucked between the pillow and pillowcase, and praying the Rosary (counting the Aves on my fingers, rather than actually having a Rosary in my fingers). I hope some of this helps; being groggy during the day is not fun.

Peace,
Nancy
Back to Top View hylabrook1's Profile Search for other posts by hylabrook1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version