Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: restless leg syndrome Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Glenn
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Dec 19 2006 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote Glenn

I get restless legs syndrome during every pregnancy. This time it is especially bad and I cannot sleep! My legs jump and drive me crazy for most of the night. My dr. told me to get more calcium and potassium, which I am doing, with no relief. Any ideas? Thanks!

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 19 2006 at 8:01am | IP Logged Quote Martha

I had to eat a banana, drink a small glass of milk, and sleep with a pillow between my legs.

I found a leg massage or at least putting my feet in one of those hot bubbly water foot pedicure/massage things was very helpful too. Many a night dh would come home to me asleep in the rocker with my feet bubbling away in that thing.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

julia s.
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 20 2006 at 7:33am | IP Logged Quote julia s.

Hey Glenn,
I get it with each pregnancy, but here are some things that help.

For me I have to elminate pepper out of my diet. This for some reason seems to make my legs worse.
For what is is worth the calcium/potassium thing never improved my legs.

Next make sure the hair on your legs isn't stubbly -- either shave real close or let it grow all the way out. When the hair is stubbly it will stand out and rub against everything. Also, if your skin is dry use moisturizer on your legs.

Finally, make sure you don't drink a lot right before you go to sleep. Get most of your drinks in during the day. A full bladder -- especially from a cold drink -- right around bedtime seems to make my legs worse.

Just in general make sure your legs (and butt*cks) are warm. Sometimes an heating pad helps.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know. I hope things go well for you. The problem with babies is they sit right on the nerve that can aggitate the problem. I'll be praying for you.

Back to Top View julia s.'s Profile Search for other posts by julia s.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Dec 20 2006 at 8:48am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

I have restless leg syndrome even when I'm not pregnant. I have never noticed diet affecting it in any way.

What helps me when my legs are restless is to vigoroulsy stretch my legs and even run in place or do jumping jacks (I don't recommend that part while pregnant!). Basically, I wear out my legs and then (and only then) can I get to sleep! I sure hope that you can find something that works for you!

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 21 2006 at 4:35pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

Hi Glenn,

I had bad RLS before I got pregnant. When I was pregnant with my first, I was told I was slightly anemic and put on iron supplements, and I realized that my RLS had cleared up. I don't know for certain if that's the culprit, but I always attributed it to low iron.   

Anne
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

cvbmom
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 22 2006 at 12:56pm | IP Logged Quote cvbmom

My dad always claims it's due to low sodium and that's what helps my mom. Personally, if I take a calcium supplement, my RLS during pregnancy eases.

Hope it helps!
Christine
Back to Top View cvbmom's Profile Search for other posts by cvbmom

amiefriedl
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 22 2006 at 4:05pm | IP Logged Quote amiefriedl

I avoid caffeine when I get bad fits of RLS and that in conjunction with many of the above suggestions helps a great deal.

You are in my prayers - I know what a nuisance it can be. Remember to use the bother for remittance of purgatory time for yourself or the Holy Souls. Little bothers are such a grace.

Back to Top View amiefriedl's Profile Search for other posts by amiefriedl Visit amiefriedl's Homepage

humanaevitae
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Dec 26 2006 at 8:20pm | IP Logged Quote humanaevitae

When not pg I take Advil.

saintanneshs
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Dec 27 2006 at 12:32am | IP Logged Quote saintanneshs

I just checked this out the other day since I'm having RLS now (in my last month of my 5th pregnancy...I had it at the end of my 4th pg too). Basically everything I read said it was linked to iron and calcium deficiencies. Makes sense to me! The doc said to take over the counter iron supplements, but since I'm not ready to take on RLS AND constipation issues, I'm just trying to eat more red meat (I don't eat this much) and green, leafy veggies (think sausage and bean soup with lots of in-season kale...yum!)

I have noticed that the ONLY night I didn't have to rub my feet like a grasshopper before I could fall asleep was the night following the day when I was craving milk and drank about 6 glasses during the day! So I fell asleep easily and slept well but my baby is now probably a whole pound heavier!!

Oh, and one more thing that's helped...my Earth Mama Angel Baby "Labor Preparation CD" (listened to with headphones on as I'm trying to fall asleep). The CD is excellent for helping me fall asleep at night and stay asleep. I'm not sure if it's helping me prepare for labor though, as I doubt I'll be falling asleep then!    

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version