Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: ? Apnia-CPAP/Restless Legs/Insomnia Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 6:58am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Does anyone here have insomnia from restless legs and/or sleep apnia? I am desperate for a good night's sleep and am trying to explore alternatives to the various remedies I have already tried. The CPAP w/ full face mask that I've been using for a few years only provides partial assistance (I pull the mask off early in the night because I end up feeling like I'm suffocating). The doctor has now prescribed a third medication in as many years for the RLS since I keep building up a tolerance to the pres. meds. I've already used Mirapex and Sinemet, and he has recently prescribed Klonapen. Any research I do online suggests that most people eventually experience tolerance or augmentation when using pres. meds. I'm concerned that eventually I will run out of options in that realm. I've also used melatonin and valerian, alternately, as well as alternating with low doses of Benadryl (regular doses keep me awake).
I've just begun taking B12, Calcium/Magnesium/Zinc, Folic Acid, a high potency Vit. and have added St. John's Wort, based on information gleaned from several sites devoted to RLS.
If anyone here has experience with these issues or advice, I'd be most grateful!   

Chari
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 10:54am | IP Logged Quote Chari

No advice, but I am praying for you, Servant!

NavyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 4:34pm | IP Logged Quote NavyMom

I am not sure if I have RLS or not. My husband certainly thinks I do and is often disturbed by my restlessness during the night. I think I may drink too much coffee. Also, I find when I have a very active day I am not restless. So as a natural remedy I would say more exercise and less caffenie. Have you tried that? I am afraid of all those drugs. Every time we are watching TV and a commercial comes on my husband tells me I should look into them, but I do not want to get hooked to something. Are you a coffee drinker? What is current exercise regimen? (I am curious if these could be true links?)
Back to Top View NavyMom's Profile Search for other posts by NavyMom Visit NavyMom's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 5:14am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

I'm not a coffee drinker at all and only consume tea with caffeine before noon. I've also learned to avoid hidden caffeine sources, such as chocolate and certain OTC meds. Walking does help the RLS and I try to do so as often as possible, but there's a vicious cycle that develops from the lack of sleep where I get too exhausted to function, let alone exercise. Over the weekend I tried layering remedies...lavender scent in the bedroom, warm bath with lavender, acupressure sleep bands on my wrists, vit./min. supplements midday, essential oil for restless leg massaged into lower back, CPAP and new medication. The results weren't 100%, but I definitely slept better than I have in years. If any of you suffer from insomnia or other sleep issues and have found useful remedies, please share! Lack of sleep can become debilitating over the years and I really need to reclaim my health.

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 9:54am | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

No advice here. I have RLS, only have one or two cups of coffee in early a.m. and no other caffeine or chocolate during the day. The last week my legs have been especially bad at night. I find that exercising more during the day makes my legs more uncomfortable at night (which would partially explain my bad week). My prayers are with you all. What essential oil did you use? I would like to try that myself.

Could you try a different CPAP mask? My dad had apnia for a while and then needed the CPAP again post-liver-transplant. The type of face mask he used made a huge difference. He had to change models several times before finding something that worked all night long.

wifemommy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 14 2008 at 2:25pm | IP Logged Quote wifemommy

I get this when I am pregnant and strawberries and bannanas really help at least for me also a heating pad on my lower back sometimes legs it helps to relax them I guess.   Annie
Back to Top View wifemommy's Profile Search for other posts by wifemommy

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2008 at 5:52am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Janette, Thank you for suggesting a different CPAP mask. That has been on my mind as well. The essential oil is called "Night Time Leg Calm" by Nature's Inventory, which I purchased online through CVS...It contains grapeseed oil and a blend of essential oils, but, I'm not really sure it's making a difference. I actually think the supplements I've begun taking are more helpful. I'm taking B12 1000mcg, calcium 1000mg/ Magnesium 400mg/Zinc 15mg, Folic Acid 400mcg, a high potency Vit. and St. John's Wort 300mg, based on information gleaned from several sites devoted to RLS. I take the supplements midday since some can interfere with absorption of certain pres. meds. (such as synthroid/levothroid, which I take for hypothyroid). I've also increased my water intake during the day.

Annie, Thank you for the suggestion of a heating pad. I've been using a small space heater near my feet when my RLS acts up during the day and it has helped a lot, so the heating pad might very well be beneficial at night. I'll try the strawberries and banana...I have trouble eating both because of acid problems, but it may help if I have them with a little milk or yogurt.

My goal is to get back to walking in the late afternoon, since many sources recommend light exercise a few hours before bedtime. If any of you struggle with sleep issues, it's worthwhile to address them early. I went years without dealing with my lack of sleep because I assumed it was simply a normal aspect of raising children and stresses of life. I am now learning that severe longterm sleep deprevation can have devastating effects on your health.

My DH just brought home three books from the library that I'm hoping will offer additional help:

"Restless Legs Syndrome, Coping wWith Your Sleepless Nights, An American Academy of Neurology Press Qulaity of Life Guide", Mark J Buchfurer MD, Wayne A Hening MD, Clete A Kushida MD

"Restless Legs Syndrome, Relief and Hope for Sleepless Victims of a Hidden Epidemic", Robert Yoakum

"A Woman's Guide to Sleep Disorders, Find Out What's Keeping You Up at Night and What to Do About It...", Meir H Kryger MD

Anne McD
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 15 2008 at 6:24pm | IP Logged Quote Anne McD

I've has trouble with rls since hs, but it got better with my first pregnancy-- until that point, I didn't get enough Iron. I don't know if there is a certain level that you should be shooting for, but maybe making sure you are on a good iron diet? (consuming it with vit c for absorption, but not with caffiene b/c it inhibits absorption).

I've also noticed that when I have any level of alcohol, my rls acts up, too.

Good luck-- its tough to deal with!

James 8
Katie 6
William 3 1/2
Benedict Joseph 1
and baby on the way! 10/14
Back to Top View Anne McD's Profile Search for other posts by Anne McD

cathhomeschool
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Texas Bluebonnets

Posted: Jan 15 2008 at 6:59pm | IP Logged Quote cathhomeschool

Ew, Anne... I'm glad that you mentioned iron!      I have a high tendency towards anemia. My last two blood draws were fine, but that's been a while. Some of the other tell-tale signs of anemia are showing up... Guess I better focus on that a bit more. I'm glad and get back to focusing on .I have been having trouble sleeping again and am tired...

Servant, I'll hold off on the essential oil, then, and will check my current vitamin levels. My grandmother reminded me that one of the ways I used to fall asleep as a teen was to vigorously stretch my legs when they were feeling restless. That tended to "exhaust" them and I was able to fall asleep. Hasn't seemed to help much lately, but then I can't stretch the way I used to either...

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 7:03am | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

Iron deficiency seems to be a big factor w/ rls, along with deficiencies with B12, magnesium and folic acid. The books I mentioned earlier are somewhat helpful, especially in recommending what NOT to do. Apparently, many OTC meds exacerbate RLS, especially Benadryl, most cold meds and antihistamines. With my doctor's approval I had been using a child's dose of Benadryl every other night as a sleep aid, and it was actually contributing to my problems. If anyone here has to resort to pres. meds for rls, be sure to study up on the subject. According to the resources I'm studying many pres. meds eventually cause augmentation. tolerance or rebound. I'm hoping to rely only on supplements and natural remedies from now on. The good news, I'm actually getting some sleep over the past week!

NavyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 11:38am | IP Logged Quote NavyMom

Servant2theKing wrote:
I'm taking B12 1000mcg, calcium 1000mg/ Magnesium 400mg/Zinc 15mg, Folic Acid 400mcg, a high potency Vit. and St. John's Wort 300mg, based on information gleaned from several sites devoted to RLS. Meir H Kryger MD

Where do you get all these? I am looking for an online source.

What kind of vitamin?

Back to Top View NavyMom's Profile Search for other posts by NavyMom Visit NavyMom's Homepage

Servant2theKing
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 3:26pm | IP Logged Quote Servant2theKing

I was able to get the vitamins in the recommended dosages at our local grocery superstore in their store brands. This particular store just recently had their regular sale for buy one get one free. I purchased all that I needed for half what it would usually cost. The calcium/magnesium/zinc is a combination. The B12, St. John's Wort and folic acid are all individual supplements. The high-potency vitamin is formulated for women and I've taken it in the past...it has been a really good combination for me since I've been in menopause.

I've been told you want to check with your doctor when taking higher dosages of vitamins or supplements, particularly with St. John's Wort. My doctor already gave me the go-ahead on the St. John's Wort, and I'm relying on doctors' advice in the books I mentioned and from online sites, as far as the other supplements are concerned, until I see my doctor again.   

NavyMom
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Jan 16 2008 at 3:59pm | IP Logged Quote NavyMom

I just made an appointment with my doctor to discuss all this. My apt. is Feb. 8 so I have plenty of time to do research on my own.
Thanks for sharing all this info.!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version