Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
 4Real Forums : Our Lady of Good Remedy and Care
Subject Topic: Ever use a rebounder/mini-trampoline? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 30 2008 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Anyone ever use one of those rebounders or mini-trampolines? I use to jog, but since having baby in July, I just can't find time to get out of the house. Another phase in my life I use to just jog around our unfinished basement (an irl friend use to describe me as a rat stuck in a maze!), which worked too, but oh so boring!!!!

When I was at Sports Authority I saw the mini-trampolines and thought maybe that would be good (treadmills are just out of budget for us). Dh said I could buy a $30 DVD player to hook up to our old little tv downstairs and I could "jump" or whatever it is you do on there and watch some of the Netflix movies that keep piling up and are my source of stress relief by permitting some down brain power time!

Anyways...anyone have one and use it regularly??   Any advice or ideas to share??

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 30 2008 at 8:51pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

OOh Kacky - this used to be my favorite subject. I used to be a runner - but had some neck problems and had to stop 4 years ago. I was advised to get a rebounder - but not one of the ones from the stores - there are 2 or 3 which are very highly recommended that you can buy online. I bought a Needak I think - because it was US made. It is AWESOME - 10 minutes of jumping about is the same as 30 minutes jogging on concrete. Gentle bouncing on the rebounder is apparently like giving your whole body a facial!!! My kids love it too - wakes everyone up when they are dozing during the school day. I only excercise for 10 minutes a day - the rebounder makes it doable.

I would definitely not buy except for the recommended ones - I did a lot of research. They come with a dvd workout - it is 20 minutes, I used to do it.

You are welcome to come and try mine out

Email me for more info.

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2008 at 7:49am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

My first thoughts: "Hmm...Kacky's boys are going to love their new launching pad!!"

My second thought: "It sounds like a great idea!"

But I'm curious -- what's the difference between a Needak and this thirty dollar mini-trampoline at Dick's???

If there's no injury risk...I think I'd be all about by the cheapo one and if I like it and I use it then go for the gold.

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2008 at 7:59am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Maryan wrote:
My first thoughts: "Hmm...Kacky's boys are going to love their new launching pad!!"

My second thought: "It sounds like a great idea!"

But I'm curious -- what's the difference between a Needak and this thirty dollar mini-trampoline at Dick's???

If there's no injury risk...I think I'd be all about by the cheapo one and if I like it and I use it then go for the gold.

You know Maryan - I asked the same question 3 years ago. I tried out the Dick's one. The advice from chiropractor and physio was that bouncing on a cheap one could actually damage your joints. I am on a very tight budget and believe me I did months of research before shelling out - I got it not just for exercise - but for the numerous health benefits. I wish I still had all my research - but it is on an older computer. I know a lot of the health advocates like Sally Fallon and Jordan Rubin advocate the rebounder.

You can really tell the difference between the surface of the needak and the Dicks one - the Dicks one gives less.

It's funny - I find it so hard to run or do jumping jacks on a hard surface now - it is so comfortable on the rebounder.

We keep the rebounder under the coffee table in the living room - and I usually watch the news and do my 10 minutes.

We have not (touching wood as I speak) had any injuries - though I have had to tell boys off for launching themeselves off the rebounder onto the sofa!!

Maryan
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2008 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote Maryan

Ahh... the joint factor! $500 at the chiropractor is probably not worth the $30 bucks then!   

Back to Top View Maryan's Profile Search for other posts by Maryan

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Oct 01 2008 at 8:43am | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

I'm intrigued by this piece of equipment....but I'm visualizing small boys launching themselves into ceiling fans and perfecting their football pass with the flying reception in my bedroom...

But, maybe it would be a good (if highly supervised) way to get some winter exercise in??? I can't believe I'm considering this. My dh is going to have my head examined.

I wanna' know if you get one, Kacky...and how the boys do! Do your boys listen to you, Marilyn? Do you let them exercise on it? Maybe if I flipped it upside down to store it when not in use????

I used to love running...a million years ago...I miss being able to exercise on a regular basis and your assessment really intrigues me, Marilyn. Plus, the added benefit of giving those active boys something to do when the weather is bitter is really attractive to me...a tired boy is a happy boy.

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2008 at 9:01am | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Jen - I will try and find all the health articles about it. The kids do great on it - we have the "only one person on at a time" rule. It is wonderful for those days when we cannot get out. Also to keep concentration for school. My mom has arthiritis and I have her sit on and then jump on to bounce - apparently just the bouncing motion is supposed to help.

It is great for strengthening those "baby muscles" - and without giving tmi - you need to make sure you have an empty bladder and wear well fitting under garments -

It does fold up and come with a carrying case - but I just shove it under the coffee table - if it is easily available I will be more likely to use it.

I did not get the handle - I think this is more for people with balance issues.

I have a book too on how good rebounding is for the immune system - I will have to dig it out to see what it is called.

My main testimonial - I used to see a chiropractor really often as I had such awful neck and jaw pain (after the twins were born for years) - I no longer have pain and have not seen a chiropractor for nearly 4 years. Maybe nothing to do with the rebounder - but maybe it has helped.

I do miss running - but I try and go for an early morning walk with the baby each morning.

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 01 2008 at 9:47am | IP Logged Quote KackyK

Marilyn that Needak does sound great...and Maryan you are right...it seems hard to go for that one with the sporting goods stores' cheap ones right there. But I hear what you mean Marilyn. I'm going to have to do a bit of saving, still a way better price than the treadmill.

My dh will only let me use it in the basement...he doesn't want the bouncing on the other floors (can you tell he doesn't trust the construction of our house).

My sons...I don't know...I'm hoping they won't notice I have it (HA, who am I kidding!). I think having it in the basement will be good for them anyways, and for the rest of the house.

(As an aside when it comes to kids and bouncing...we had company this past weekend and dh brought up a twin mattress to put on the floor in one of the bedrooms for my brother. Well...during the day, we caught the kids (dd3, ds 6 and niece 2) jumping from a tall dresser, that is 100 years old I might add, onto this mattress...where and when does a fear factor ever present itself!!!!!    )

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Oct 01 2008 at 4:37pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

Real quick...I bought a cheap one from Amazon just to see if I would use it and then figured I could upgrade later. Honestly, I think my cheap one is just fine for what I want and need. I just do 2 minutes when I feel my energy drop. I am doing other things for more thorough exercise but I love having this quick and gentle way of getting my lymphatic system moving. And yes, my boys like getting on it from time to time.

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

KellyJ
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Oct 11 2008 at 8:17am | IP Logged Quote KellyJ

Marilyn, do you find the legs to wobble on yours? I've seen a review saying that the foldable rebounder wobbles a bit when using it. If yours does wobble, do you find it problematic? Thanks!

DeAnn M
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Oct 16 2008 at 8:35pm | IP Logged Quote DeAnn M

I've read lots of articles recently that tout the benefits of using a rebounder. Apparently, as Marylin said, it is like giving your entire body a cleansing. For whatever reason, "they" say that jumping and running on a rebounder is like squeezing all of the toxins out of your cells.

This is a quote from Natalia Rose's website:

"Great for cell strengthening and lymphatic cleansing. The rebound mini-trampoline subjects the body to gravitational pulls ranging from zero at the top of each bounce to 2 - 3 times the force of gravity at the bottom, depending on how high the person is rebounding. Unlike jogging on hard surfaces which puts extreme stress on certain joints such as the ankles and knees eventually damaging them, rebounding affects every joint and cell in the body equally. Plus, there are no cars, dogs, and bad weather to contend with."

I bought a nice one a while back. I don't know how to say this nicely, but after pushing out six kids, I really can't do it without wearing a Depends. (TMI?) If you are able to do it, it's a great workout and you don't need to do it for a long period of time to get some great benefits.

As far as the kid launcher issue, Most are pretty light, so it would be easy to put it away somewhere out of their sight/reach. If they really love it, you can designate times for them to use it with supervision. It's actually really good for kids too. My friend's PT recommended one for her son to use.

Happy Hopping!

DeAnn
Back to Top View DeAnn M's Profile Search for other posts by DeAnn M

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version