Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Mothering and Family Life (Forum Locked Forum Locked)
 4Real Forums : Mothering and Family Life
Subject Topic: baby gift for mom of 6?? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
monica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 1:24am | IP Logged Quote monica

i have a friend who recently found out she is pregnant with number 6. she has pretty severe morning sickness (has had to be hospitalized several times) and has post partum depression with each birth. but her and her husband feel strongly about having a large family. she just found out she is pregnant and is fearful of telling her family and others. we have been friends since middle school and been through thick and thin together (and i dont mean waistlines ) so i want to get her a little something to show i love and support her. but i have no idea what she needs. she has 2 boys and 3 girls so far. i know a gift card is probably the most practical, but it seems so impersonal. her house is pretty chaotic, so im not sure it wouldnt just get lost.      what would you moms of many recommend?
Back to Top View monica's Profile Search for other posts by monica Visit monica's Homepage

missionfamily
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 5:27am | IP Logged Quote missionfamily

Is there any way you could do something to pamper her a bit? Arrange for her husband to watch the kids and go get a pedicure...have her come to your house, hire a teen to help keep the kiddos and have tea and then let her nap? Pick up a load of laundry once a week and bring it back clean and folded? Is there a house project she would really want done before the baby comes? Could you help her accomplish it? I like to send my cleaning lady to my friends' houses once during their first trimester and while they're in the hospital with baby so they come home to a clean fresh house. Oh, and meals, I love getting meals, hot and delivered, or frozen for use whenever. What a help!

Footprints on the Fridge
Back to Top View missionfamily's Profile Search for other posts by missionfamily Visit missionfamily's Homepage

Martha
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 9:22am | IP Logged Quote Martha

how about a puke basket?
Seriously a basket full of nothing but stuff to help with the sickies!
- itty bitty peppermints
- itty bitty bits of ginger (either candy or otherwise)
- very mild teas (like chamomile or the above flavors)
- bits of dried papaya (for stomache irritation)
- air smell neutralizer (to get rid of the nauseating smells without adding to the smell mix!)
- various protein drinks (protein helps hmg, but it must be sipped ever so slowly. sometimes it took me an entire day to get through 6 oz, but at least I was getting some kind of fluids!)
- a Bed Buddy, quick snickering, it's an awesome beanbag type eye cover that is awesome for those headaches behind the eyes. and it can be warmed in the microwave or put in the freezer (terrible headaches are common sides effect of hmg, most likely due to dehydration)
- sound reducing ear muffs to help her rest in a house full of kidsor even at the hospital (come to think of it, anyone is welcome to get me those NOW! lol)
- one of those at home uterine monitor things. My dh got me one a few babies back so that whenever I got depressed laid up in bed, I could listen to the little heartbeat galloping along to remind me why it's worth it.
- one of those seabands (sometimes they help me, sometimes they don't, it can't hurt to try)
- a baby name book!
- books all about the joys of babies that she can lay in bed or the sofa and have her littles cozy up to read to (Seven Silly Eaters and Rattlebang Picnic are our favs!) and don't forget books like Angel in the Waters or Before You Were Born
- a family movie and a adult movie (both funny)
- paper plates, plasticware, and plastic cups!

Or anything else you think will keep her spirits up and make life just a bit easier.

Back to Top View Martha's Profile Search for other posts by Martha Visit Martha's Homepage

CAgirl4God
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Aug 14 2007 at 9:37am | IP Logged Quote CAgirl4God

great ideas...

I always liked getting meals, esp in the first Trimester, when I didn't feel like being around food at all, lol. also after baby is born.

company...help with the other kids, cleaning house, running kids around if need. watching kids for appts.

I love the 'puke basket' idea.

Jamie, married to John
JC, Nugget, Christina & Judy
Chowder
Back to Top View CAgirl4God's Profile Search for other posts by CAgirl4God

Sharon B.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Posted: Aug 16 2007 at 8:47pm | IP Logged Quote Sharon B.

I LOVE the puke basket idea and I'll have to remember that!

My SIL is expecting her 5th and always tells us that the meals are the very best thing. I am planning on delivering meatballs and meatloaf and maybe some other dishes so that she is totally off the hook for dinner a few days.

Nothin' says lovin' like somethin' from the oven!   

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 2:14pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

I would agree with the meals. Oh, the lack of energy and, for some, the sickness of early pregnancy can make it a challenge to get nourishing food on the table. Some meals would be great, as well as that wonderful 'puke basket' idea.

I love the stuff from Earth Mama Angel Baby. But, really, any little thing from anybody acknowledging the specialness of being pregnant, is such a wonderful gesture...I'm sure whatever you did would touch her heart.

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Aug 17 2007 at 2:18pm | IP Logged Quote Mary G

Monica -- sometimes a mom who has had more than one or two children REALLY enjoys getting something hand-made -- either for herself or the baby -- to commemorate the latest blessing! I know that it's easy to forget that the 6th, 7th, 10th, whatever is special and unique so a hand-made gift shows your love and care for her (and your unstated support that having more than 1 or 2 is FABULOUS!)

Just a thought....

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Sorry, you cannot post a reply to this topic.
This forum has been locked by a forum administrator.

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version