Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
 4Real Forums : Exploring God's Creation in Nature and Science
Subject Topic: Nests Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Jan 11 2006 at 6:00am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

While watching the birdfeeders yesterday, my 6 yo son wondered where all the nests were. "There are so many birds Mama, but where are their homes?."

He was quite concerned (it is a long cold winter where we live). I like to think I know a lot about birds, but I was stumped on this one. I am not sure if birds actually make and keep nests all year, or if this is primarily a spring activity. We can see lots of squirrel homes (drays I think?) in the barren trees, but we can't seem to make out where all these little songbirds are keeping house!

This question also led to questions about ways to help keep the birds safe and warm all year long ... building bird houses with Daddy, and putting out nesting materials, etc. When is it the right time of year to put out nesting materials/boxes/houses etc.? I would guess late winter, early spring.

Thanks for any info.!

Back to Top View Dawn's Profile Search for other posts by Dawn

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 11 2006 at 1:58pm | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Assure him, the birds don't need nests right now - the need for nests is really confined to the "nesting" time. Winter is a great time to look for old nests though because they really stand out against the bare branches. We did that last year on some nature walks and now that I am more aware I see them everywhere when I am driving. You are right that there are a lot of drays (thanks, I didn't know the name before that) but they tend to be very leafy and in the crotch of big branches. So more formed or twiggy type nests on smaller branches (especially in smaller trees) tend to be birds nest. Many birds like to be in evergreen trees so they are harder to see but you can poke around inside evergreens and often find old nest. When you are around buildings that have rafters or overhangs look there as many birds pick those kind of areas for building. Swallows build the mud nests in those overhang areas and under bridges, etc. In the cities you ofen find birds nests built in the letters of signs for businesses (s, o, e, a, u etc. provide nice little nesting cavities). I think this is a fascinateing topic. Hope more of you have things to share.

Winter Moon by Jean Craighead George has a great little chapter about a typical songbird in winter - "Survive an icy night under a December moon with a song sparrow stalked by a midnight predator in Ohio's suburban meadowland." It taught us about these songbirds' winter home and survival.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Donna
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 11 2006 at 3:33pm | IP Logged Quote Donna

MaryM wrote:
Winter is a great time to look for old nests though because they really stand out against the bare branches.

I agree . Last year we found over ten different nests and looked them up in the Peterson Field Guide to Nests . Some even had eggs shells left inside !! It's a great way to do Nature Study in the Winter. After we were through studying the nests, we donated them to a local Nature Preserve.

Jacob, Sam, and Regina with God
Grandbabies Leigha and Elsie

Moments Like These

Back to Top View Donna's Profile Search for other posts by Donna Visit Donna's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 12 2006 at 5:04am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Thank you Donna and Mary for your thoughts!

The weather has turned mild here so I think we may venture out for a nature walk today and look for abandoned nests.

My middle son (who is my sensitive, thinks-about- everyone-else child) was greatly relieved to learn the birds are not pining away for their nests (which he was sure had been blown away during a recent windy storm).

I am really hoping to be more thoughtful and planned in my approach to our nature study this year (I think I say this every year!).

I read somewhere about making your own field guides and I think we may try to do that this year. January could be about birds and looking for signs of life amongst the winter landscape (tracks, old nests etc.).

Thanks again

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Jan 13 2006 at 2:27am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Dawn wrote:
This question also led to questions about ways to help keep the birds safe and warm all year long ... building bird houses with Daddy, and putting out nesting materials, etc. When is it the right time of year to put out nesting materials/boxes/houses etc.? I would guess late winter, early spring.

If you are interested in putting up bird houses, late winter is the best time to do that. The birds who would use a birdhouse are cavity nesters like woodpeckers, bluebirds, chickadees. According to Attracting Birds to your Backyard most cavity nesters are early when it comes looking for a nesting site. They may begin hunting for a nesting site as early as January or February. The book also suggests nesting shelves for birds like robins.

Here is a book geared to children with ideas for building birdhouses.
Make Your Own Bird Houses and Feeders

And don't these bird houses look adorable? Probably much more decorative than practical - but fun anyway.

Our local botanic garden has a great exhibit and auction every summer of birdhouses that are made in the area. The houses are really creative and often very fancy. I was thinking it would be fun to have a similar exhibit of birdhouses made by children in our homeschooling group, set up like they do at the botanic gardens. Maybe since I've said it here, I'll actually follow through with setting it up.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Dawn
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Jan 13 2006 at 5:14am | IP Logged Quote Dawn

Hi Mary,

What great ideas! You have inspired me to start our birdhouse project now! I am famous for making plans for a few months ahead and then never following through. This we can start on as soon as possible.

I like the nesting shelves for robins especially; they look fairly easy to build (easy for me to say! I'll be asking dh to do the actual building part ) The boys and I are reading The Secret Garden soon and I would like to do a little unit study on robins (who usually start to pop up around here about then).

In fact, we host a weekly homeschool coop with three other families (mostly boys) and I think birdhouse building would be a great idea to do together!

If you end up doing the birdhouse exhibit I would love to hear about it! It might inspire me to do something similar with our larger HS group.

monica
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 04 2008 at 9:02am | IP Logged Quote monica

kind of related to this post, how do you ATTRACT birds to your bird house? we have made and put up a bird house, and followed the specs for sparrows, which is the most common bird here. i mounted the bird house on fence, not far from our bird feeder and bird bath. so we are waiting with bated breath for a sparrow to take up residence there. any suggestions??
Back to Top View monica's Profile Search for other posts by monica Visit monica's Homepage

MacBeth
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star
Probably at the beach...

Posted: Feb 04 2008 at 10:30am | IP Logged Quote MacBeth

Hey Monica!

Birds have very specific needs, but they are easy to meet. Sure, sparrows will come, but there are so many other birds, once you follow these simple instructions, I bet you get a greater variety:

Use several kinds of feed/feeders. Different birds like different food. I get a greater variety (and keep things neater) by hanging a suet feeder in the winter.
Keep the feeder in a sheltered place. Some birds are shy, and like to have a refuge, like a small shrub or brush pile.
Supply water. You can keep a traditional bird bath, or have a drip for constant fresh water. We drip by default, as the outside faucet is a bit old .
Be patient, and experiment with placement and feed. It may be that a neighbor has a wonderful feeding set-up, and you need to let the birds know that there is a new restaurant in town!

Nature Study
MacBeth's Blog
Back to Top View MacBeth's Profile Search for other posts by MacBeth Visit MacBeth's Homepage

vmalott
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Feb 04 2008 at 12:46pm | IP Logged Quote vmalott

Dawn,
I remember reading about roosting boxes in a book my dad had on attracting birds to the backyard. Apparently this is a nice place for birds to be sheltered from harsh winter weather. This might make for a good winter project while the weather is still cold and nasty. Well, at least you're supposed to have nastier winter weather up there in New England...

Valerie

Back to Top View vmalott's Profile Search for other posts by vmalott Visit vmalott's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Feb 04 2008 at 1:13pm | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

This looks like a great resource for everyone interested. I just read about it this morning: The Birdhouse Network
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version