Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Tea and Conversation
 4Real Forums : Tea and Conversation
Subject Topic: Movies to Watch While Suffering Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Angie Mc
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 7:29pm | IP Logged Quote Angie Mc

When you are suffering and unable to do your usual routine...struggling to talk to others, to read, to go out of your home, to think clearly...do you turn to movies? If so, what movies do you watch and why? Do you watch light movies to take a break from the heaviness?... or movies to keep you company to feel less alone?... or movies to help you to make sense of suffering?...or do you watch "comfort movies", classics that you know by heart? Something else?

What movies do you recommend to watch during times of suffering and why? Thank you and...

Love,

Back to Top View Angie Mc's Profile Search for other posts by Angie Mc Visit Angie Mc's Homepage

Mary's daughter
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 7:38pm | IP Logged Quote Mary's daughter

When dh was hospitalized, we watched Pride and Prejudice (PBS version). It was too much to watch something intense. Pride and Prejudice was familiar, like a cozy blanket! I prefer the familiar favorites with light story lines and happy endings.

Stephanie
Back to Top View Mary's daughter's Profile Search for other posts by Mary's daughter

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 7:40pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

I don't know if this will be to your liking, Angie, but the whole family just LOVED this movie.

La Vita e Bella / Life is Beautiful

We finished watching it last night. It's been on my list for YEARS.

The first half is just funny, and the second half really sad and poignant AND still funny. But so much, so much speaks about hope and love and family and forgiveness. A keeper definitely!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

MrsM
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 7:42pm | IP Logged Quote MrsM

I spent 3 months in the hospital in 2007, and I watched all of my old favorites:

Mary Poppins
Roman Holiday
Pride and Prejudice
Fiddler on the Roof

These are a few that made me feel good. I couldn't handle any sad movies AT ALL. I remember when I tried to watch a video on the life of JPII (normally a favorite of mine), and I broke down after about 10 minutes.

Although I wasn't able to take comfort by watching movies about other's sufferings, reading about them was helpful. The Story of a Soul was a constant companion, but I know I wouldn't have been able to watch the movie "Therese." Isn't that funny/strange?    

ETA: I'm sorry if things are difficult for you right now.   

Mom to darling Elizabeth and Francis, held in Mary's arms and always in my heart
Back to Top View MrsM's Profile Search for other posts by MrsM

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 7:51pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

I used movies to take me away from the grief of my miscarriage. So sad movies wouldn't help.

"New in Town" was nice and funny and didn't hit any of the having lost the baby tender spots.

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott
Back to Top View JodieLyn's Profile Search for other posts by JodieLyn

guitarnan
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 8:01pm | IP Logged Quote guitarnan

I'm like Lynn...even in normal situations I have a hard time watching sad films. I tend to rewatch old favorites instead...The Sound of Music is first on the list, always! I also like snuggling up with my children (blanket...kitty cats...popcorn...) and watching all our Veggie Tales DVDs. (I love all the episodes with the Pirates Who Don't Do Anything...)

I love musicals, so I would watch almost any of the old musical films, and I also like to watch Holiday Inn, A Charlie Brown Christmas, etc. as Advent arrives.

Sending up a few prayers for you....

CrunchyMom
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 8:04pm | IP Logged Quote CrunchyMom

I prefer to escape. Old favorites like Pride and Prejudice and Anne of Green Gables are good, but I also like television shows for this type of escape. A dvd set of an old favorite show without commercials is nice, and if they are shows I watched growing up, there is that same sort of familiarity. I can get super comfortable and settle in with familiar characters, but have more variety for the long haul.

Though, if I did feel the need to understand my suffering more, Shadowlands would be my pick. But wow, I bawl for the entire movie when I'm emotionally stable! So, I can't exactly recommend it for everyone who is hurting except that it is about people dealing with that same sort of hurt.

[URL=http://mysymphonygarden.blogspot.com/]Lost in the Cosmos[/UR
Back to Top View CrunchyMom's Profile Search for other posts by CrunchyMom

jdostalik
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 8:06pm | IP Logged Quote jdostalik

Screwball comedies from the 30's/40's are good--they are light but well-acted! Immediately, I thought of another favorite of mine--Cary Grant and Myrna Loy are balm for my stressed and sad soul in Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House--praying for you, dear Angie!!

Let the Little Ones Come

Back to Top View jdostalik's Profile Search for other posts by jdostalik Visit jdostalik's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 8:26pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh that reminds me Jennifer..

Bringing Up Baby - 1938 Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn

Soooo funny when I haven't seen it for some time.. one of those it's partly being unexpected that makes it funny.. so I don't watch it often and when I do I work at not remembering what happens next

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.
-Sir Walter Scott

joann10
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 8:28pm | IP Logged Quote joann10

Only old favorites here....and it seems that these are mostly musicals, Sound of Music, Annie, Fiddler on the Roof, Music Man, 7 Brides for 7 Brothers---movies that I know by heart to be watched while I do mindless knitting....This all adds up to a lot of movie watching around here and a lot of homemade dishclothes...

My prayers are with you, Angie

Back to Top View joann10's Profile Search for other posts by joann10

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 8:37pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

CrunchyMom wrote:
Shadowlands would be my pick.

Oh, I just love that movie, too!!!

Hmmmm...for the "I'm hurting/suffering" movie binge time its light stuff for me...anything with Meg Ryan is a winner. All Jane Austen is high up in the queue - Sense and Sensibility is a favorite...so many pithy one liners..."help them???" and who says "propitious" anymore? I do.   And, Emma of course. I love Emma! I roll on the floor with My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I tend to go to great classics as well...with Audrey Hepburn, Cary Grant, Doris Day (light, but funny), Katharine Hepburn, Gregory Peck. Love musicals. I tend to gravitate towards movies that are generally light and cheery with simple plot lines when I'm hurting.

Going through my favorite stash...
** Sense and Sensibility
** Pride and Prejudice
** Emma
** You've Got Mail
** Sleepless in Seattle
** French Kiss
** My Big Fat Greek Wedding
** Sound of Music
** Little Women (Susan Sarandon, Winona Ryder)
** Calamity Jane (Doris Day)
** Father Goose (Cary Grant)
** Sabrina (Harrison Ford, but the old one with Audrey Hepburn is good)
** Count of Monte Cristo
** Miss Potter
** The Importance of Being Earnest

If I felt like exploring my own level of faith a bit, I would borrow some of the Leonardo deFillippis Catholic films on the saints from Netflix. They're always so beautiful and well done...but I would probably not get into these if my suffering were still quite raw.   

I also tend to enjoy throwing myself into the Food Network and HGTV during these times...and those, "can you survive in the Alaskan wilderness" shows on Discovery channel.

Then lots of supremely light reading that is full of cheeriness on every page - like Victoria magazine, chocolate, Martha Stewart Living, chocolate, Country Living, chocolate. Notice a trend?

to you, Angie! Wish I could toss my copy of Emma your way along with a yummylicious bar of chocolate!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

KackyK
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 8:52pm | IP Logged Quote KackyK

I like Jodie have done a lot of movie watching during miscarriages. Okay I'm going to appear really all fluff and no substance when I say this...but....what got me, got me in that my mind was totally gone from my everyday situation, were adventure type movies. I did all the Pirates and all the LOTRs. I also did some Will Smith type movies. All about the hero I guess and coming through a fight and winning.

I'm not much of a classics girl, can you tell? Like I said, a bunch of fluff...but for those 2 hours, I was really relaxed!

Mom to 8 - 3 dd, 5ds & 4 babes in heaven

Beginning With the Assumption
Back to Top View KackyK's Profile Search for other posts by KackyK Visit KackyK's Homepage

MarilynW
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 8:53pm | IP Logged Quote MarilynW

Dear Angie - in times of suffering I do not watch anything sad or depressing - I focus on funny and light and always a happy ending. Most of the ones I watch have been mentioned above - my favorites
- Pride and Prejudice
- Persuasion
- Sense and Sensibility
- Emma
- Sleepless in Seattle
- You've got mail
- Cheaper by the Dozen

I also like many with a British flavor:
- Bride and Prejudice
- Bend it Like Beckham
- Notting Hill
- Four Weddings and a Funeral (lots of inappropriate language)

Also - lots of sports movies are great - the Rookie, Marshall, Miracle, Chariots of Fire etc etc

Looking at the selections above - two I could not watch when sad are Shadowlands and La Vita è bella - cried buckets for both.

Can I come over and watch happy movies with you?!

Back to Top View MarilynW's Profile Search for other posts by MarilynW

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 8:55pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

For the most part....Musicals and Romantic Comedies here.

Recent Romantic Comedies: 27 Dresses, Maid of Honor, P.S. I love You...and my FAVORITE: How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days!!!!!!

Others:
::Spellbound
::Sound of Music!!!!!
::Anything with Steve Martin, Jim Carrey, Steve Carrel, and Kate Hudson....make me laugh.

Steve Carrel: Dan in Real Life, Bruce Almighty (get it just to watch that one scene 20 times!!!!!), Evan Almighty, 40-year-old-Virgin

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 9:03pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SuzanneG wrote:
my FAVORITE: How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days!!!!!!

That is a hilarious movie!!!!! HILARIOUS!!!! Can't believe I missed that one...what's that ridiculous dog's name...Krull or something?? My cheeks are hurting just thinking of it!

Back to Top View Mackfam's Profile Search for other posts by Mackfam Visit Mackfam's Homepage

JodieLyn
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 9:09pm | IP Logged Quote JodieLyn

Oh Kacky I like adventure movies too.. Indiana Jones would be great

-Sir Walter Scott

Mimip
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 9:15pm | IP Logged Quote Mimip

It is threads like these that make me wish that we were closer IRL!

Can you just imagine a great girls night with movies and popcorn?

I'm a classical Musicals girl here. My favorite is Bye Bye Birdie and 7 Brides for 7 brothers is a close second.

Oh and The Quiet Man, not a musical but sure does make me laugh, in the cry cause you can't stop laughing, snorting 'til it hurts sort of way!

Angie, lots of love and prayers heading your way and I think that you have some great ideas for some movies to let you space out for a while

Back to Top View Mimip's Profile Search for other posts by Mimip

SuzanneG
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 9:17pm | IP Logged Quote SuzanneG

Mackfam wrote:
what's that ridiculous dog's name...Krull or something?? My cheeks are hurting just thinking of it!

What about when she photoshops their heads in their "future family scrapbook"?? With the future children!!!!@###$$%%^%^^&&^....

Back to Top View SuzanneG's Profile Search for other posts by SuzanneG

Mackfam
Board Moderator
Board Moderator
Non Nobis

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 9:35pm | IP Logged Quote Mackfam

SuzanneG wrote:
Mackfam wrote:
what's that ridiculous dog's name...Krull or something?? My cheeks are hurting just thinking of it!

What about when she photoshops their heads in their "future family scrapbook"?? With the future children!!!!@###$$%%^%^^&&^....

YES!!!! THAT'S RIGHT!!!! My cheeks hurt!

And now...I'm serial posting...I can't stay away from this thread...

mimip wrote:
Oh and The Quiet Man, not a musical but sure does make me laugh

I love The Quiet Man!!! Maureen O'Hara is just one of my all time favs!!! Nobody shoots mad eyes like Maureen!!!!! "What manner of man is it that I have married?" and my fav "I have a fearful temper. You might as well know about it now instead of findin' out about it later."

Taffy
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 08 2009 at 9:40pm | IP Logged Quote Taffy

All the movie suggestions are great! Might I add "The Black Stallion"? Old childhood favourite.

And, "A Christmas Story" always brings a smile to my face.

Also, I don't know if this is your cup of tea or not, but I'd tune in to old episodes of "Whose Line is it Anyway?", both the U.S. and U.K. versions. I found them hysterical and great for taking my mind off of things for a bit.

Of course, you may not share my sense of humour...

Praying for you and your family, Angie. It sounds like you're going through a very rough time. Praying for good news soon.

Back to Top View Taffy's Profile Search for other posts by Taffy

Page of 3 Next >>
  [Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version