Oh, Dearest Mother, Sweetest Virgin of Altagracia, our Patroness. You are our Advocate and to you we recommend our needs. You are our Teacher and like disciples we come to learn from the example of your holy life. You are our Mother, and like children, we come to offer you all of the love of our hearts. Receive, dearest Mother, our offerings and listen attentively to our supplications. Amen.

Active Topics || Favorites || Member List || Search || About Us || Help || Register || Login
Living Literature
 4Real Forums : Living Literature
Subject Topic: a long shot, but.... Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Online Status: Offline
Posted: Sept 15 2009 at 10:00pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

I am looking for a book that I used to read in the school library when I was in 2nd and 3rd grade. I am now 30, so it's been a while! I remember bits and pieces of the story, which I used to adore, but not the title or author, or even the name of the heroine. I thought maybe if I shared the bits I remember, someone here would know what I'm talking about! It was a chapter book, about a girl living in the earlier part of the 20th century.

- at one point her father, or some other relative, gets a car, which they call a "Tin Lizzie"

- the girl loves the story Black Beauty and is enamored with horses

- the girl bakes a pie for a competition and, following a bit of advice, adds a pinch of... something... to make the crust light, but makes it too light and it rises to the top of the pie. She is mortified, but wins.

- the girl has a friend - or cousin? - over for a visit, and they get bananas as a treat

- the girl feeds rotten fermented apples to the pigs and accidentally gets them drunk

Those are the main things I remember - hopefully I got them right. So, does that ring any bells???

ekbell
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2009 at 10:20pm | IP Logged Quote ekbell

I don't know the book but I do know of a good place to ask
Booksleuth
Back to Top View ekbell's Profile Search for other posts by ekbell

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 15 2009 at 10:24pm | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

does this help?

is it this?

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 15 2009 at 10:58pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

Stef, you are awesome!!! That must be it - no wonder I kept linking it in my mind with Ellen Tebbits - same author and everything! How on earth did you find it? I can't tell you how many Google searches I've run and gotten nothing. Thank you!!!

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 1:10am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Wow, stef, you are the queen of internet search, my dear!

So is this the thread we should look for long lost and forgotten title books from our youth??

I have one I was looking for during the summer to go with our space study - I remember it from kindergarten (so we are talking late 60's). It was about how we would have space/moon colonies by the turn of the century and talked about how we would live in those colonies. I would love to see it now and look at the claims for space living. I feel like it was in the genre of the Seuss/Cat in Hat brand books - (you know the ones with the picture of the cat in hat with the saying "I Can Read it All By Myself") - though not necessarily that publisher. I now that isn't enough info to try to find it, but it is driving me crazy.

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

Mary G
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 5:15am | IP Logged Quote Mary G

ekbell wrote:
I don't know the book but I do know of a good place to ask
Booksleuth
Now, THAT is a very cool link ... thanks!

my website that combines my schooling, hand-knits work, writing and everything else in one spot!
Back to Top View Mary G's Profile Search for other posts by Mary G Visit Mary G's Homepage

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 8:00am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Mary M.: I know the exact book you are talking about! I might even have it in the house! I am trying to remember the name - I'll get back to you.

All: Another great site for finding these "long lost books" -- Loganberry Books - Book Stumpers

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

Jen L.
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 16 2009 at 8:35am | IP Logged Quote Jen L.

Is this it? For some reason the picture isn't what I had in mind but it fits your description...

You Will Go to the Moon

Here are some "inside page" pictures:
Here and here

Back to Top View Jen L.'s Profile Search for other posts by Jen L.

MaryM
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 10:24am | IP Logged Quote MaryM

Jen, yes that is the book!   You made my day yesterday and I went searching for it. Found some copies for sale but it is pretty expensive and I want to compare the editions first. Our library doesn't have it and our state lending system had two copies both listed as missing, so had to go to ILL. I requested both editions because I want to compare. Based on the dates, the first edition has to be the one read to me in kindergarten, but the cover picture of the second edition is the one that looked more familiar - I can't say that I remember the one with the boy looking through telescope. Those inside pictures are what let me know it was the book I was looking for - triggered long dormant mental images.

I am so amazed because seriosuly the amount of time I spent on looking for that this summer and one other ocassion did not turn up anything. I am aware of the Loganberry site and have used that before. I had no luck there with this though. I actually find the search queries really hard to dig through because when looking for a key word you get so many hits and each of those threads are huge. It is daunting to read through though I feel like I really tried - nothing seemed to be there. At least with our search on this forum the words you are looking for show up highlighted in the threads so you can zero in and not read everything. I looked again now, knowing the title and it does have an entry but it must have come up in the hundreds of hits when I searched, but I never found it. That is my gripe with Loganberry - if you have an idea of author or a first word in title you have a lot more success.

So all that to say, Jen L. I want to hug you, . Thanks for recognizing my clues and taking the time to find it.

I love finding (and helping to find) books remembered from the past.

So two successful finds in one thread - way to go ladies!!!!!

Our Domestic Church
Back to Top View MaryM's Profile Search for other posts by MaryM Visit MaryM's Homepage

stefoodie
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Posted: Sept 17 2009 at 10:46am | IP Logged Quote stefoodie

organiclilac wrote:
How on earth did you find it? I can't tell you how many Google searches I've run and gotten nothing. Thank you!!!

To be honest, I don't even remember. I did some searches on Amazon and Google and Google Books, I think. Some days are just luckier than others    glad to have helped!

mom to five
Back to Top View stefoodie's Profile Search for other posts by stefoodie Visit stefoodie's Homepage

Stephanie_Q
Forum Pro
Forum Pro

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 7:30am | IP Logged Quote Stephanie_Q

I'm not sure why I clicked on this topic in the first place...but because of it, I didn't skip over a Scholastic paperback copy of "Emily's Runaway Imagination" at a garage sale on Friday. I decided to buy it...read it...loved it! Thanks.

Baby boy due 10.13
Back to Top View Stephanie_Q's Profile Search for other posts by Stephanie_Q Visit Stephanie_Q's Homepage

organiclilac
Forum All-Star
Forum All-Star

Posted: Sept 21 2009 at 2:39pm | IP Logged Quote organiclilac

I am glad that you liked it, Stephanie! I am looking forward to reading it again!   

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

[Add this topic to My Favorites] Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version